Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What do you do when you have old gas in your tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Feb 8, 2018.

1. exterminator

exterminator

Help i am wondering what to do with my 40 ford pick up that has been sitting with gas in its tank for 10 months while being worked on. I am worried of trying to start it with my 4-71 blower newly on the engine since i don't want any backfiring. If i drain the gas from the tank and some is still in there when i put in new gas-will that work? Thought i would ask the Experts on here. Exterminator

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. BJR

BJR

Drain it as best as you can. Then fill with non alcohol gas. If you use non oxygenated gas, it will last a lot longer in the tank when just sitting.

Just Gary and olscrounger like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This'll get good once the night crew jump's in... Drain what ya can, an put the"good" in, You'll be perfectly fine!

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Drain out the old gas and put it in your lawn mower I don't like that time killing contraption. And fill with new gas, you can pull the line at the carb and run out the old stuff.

Skankin' Rat Fink and robracer1 like this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ass. gas or grass...none of it gets better with age. Drain it, pour it in the cracks on your driveway where the weeds are poking through, stick the rest in your daily.
    The only thing I put in my lawn mower is cerveza.

6. cavman

cavman

Lawn mower gas.....I bought an old Chevy about a dozen years ago with about a half tank of old gas. Real old gas. The car was last run in 1970. The engine wouldn't start, so I drained the tank and poured a bit on the driveway and threw a match at it. BOOM! I used the rest in my riding mower. 35 year old fuel...It looked bad, it smelled bad, But it mowed my lawn for a few times. Yeah, drain it. Old new gas ain't like "Old" old gas.

mgtstumpy and dan31 like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

How much gas are we talking about?

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  8. exterminator

exterminator

6-8 gallons

9. 10 months old. Only 4 months past shelf life. Can you add new gas to it ? That;s what I would do. I don't see how old gas passing thru your blower would hurt it. Worried about backfiring ? Did you change the ignition ? Double check all your timing.

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Just helped my brother about 4 months ago on a 56 ford pickup that had been sitting for 16 years, we hooked up a spare electric fuel pump and hoses to get most of it out thru the filler neck. We then blew air thru the fuel line backwards into the tank and pulled the drain plug to get the last gallon or so out. New gas, new inline filter and fired er up.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Smell it. If it smells good, use it!

Special Ed, Elcohaulic and BigChief like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metamucil...

Hollywood-East and zzford like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

The problem I've seen with old gas is that it forms varnish on valve stems, and valves stick, bending pushrods, and causing other mayhem. If an intake valve sticks open on a blower motor, it's not a good thing.

Mr48chev, mgtstumpy and Bubba1955 like this.
  14. john walker

john walker

Having a shop, I need to get rid of the stinky stuff occasionally, so I post an ad on craigslist in the free section for 10-15 gallons of used gas, and so far, it's been gone in an hour or two. The same guy came by the last two times and poured the stinky mess right into his dodge dart beater.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what I do with it if I know it's bad. 20170923_140834.jpg

mgtstumpy and squirrel like this.
  16. Ii use old gas to kill termites and carpenter ants around the outside of my shop.......works great....make sure it'a a long way from any water source.....

17. badvolvo

badvolvo

My old Willys don't care, its running on two year old gas now, with a fresh 5 gallons on top. It's mostly a firewood hauler that gets run dec - feb. it has a 59ab with a 94. I have did have to clean out the carb 4-5 years ago. Gas smells real bad, but she ain't complaining.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

If it were me, I'd top it off with fresh gas and drive it. Draining old gas is a PITA and can be down right dangerous to dispose of.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the gas is halfway good yet, I put it in the old Model B (Deere, not Ford) and mow the tall bluestem or drag my cut trees to the burn pile. It'll run on anything close to kerosene.
    Deere.jpg Deere1.jpg

stillrunners, UNCLECHET and mgtstumpy like this.
  20. zzford

zzford

I have always gotten rid of my old gas by farting.

stillrunners and clem like this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Drain it and throw in some Cam 2 then beat the tar out of it ( and post a video).

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. ST62

ST62

Up to a year is fine as long as it is good gas to begin with, just add a decent amount of new with the old. The smell test will tell a lot.

23. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

Some friends here in The New Orleans area sold a 55 Chevy with a 327 to a fellow
    12 years ago. He took it up on the east coast and stored it in his facility. The sellers
    bought it back from the fellow after the mentioned 12 years. The car sat unused all this
    time. The guys knowing it still had the gas it left with in the tank prepared to drain
    and change the gas and what parts of the fuel system that needed changing. Noticing
    the gas smelled fresh and looked good they fired it up with the old gas. The stuff was fine
    and ran well. They have always ran good grade fuel in their many classics but were
    surprised by this result.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Beano probably has enough of his own...:p:D

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

i burn it up in my model T's and A's, they love the stuff. i actually get free gas every summer from a boat repair place. the insurance co has them empty the tanks before it goes into the shop. gas goes into a 55 gal. drum till its full, then goes to me yeah!! its a blend of everything. some old, some 2cycle, some new, and even sometimes lots of water. it sits around until they have two barrels, then i go get it. i keep a 2 gal jug in my car, and fill it every time i fill the car, then dump it in the barrel so it is constantly getting mixed with fresh gas, and when ever the old car goes to town the tank gets topped off with fresh gas too. i have a filter on the barrel, with water trap, and the old cars just love the shit. i do not put it in my modern fuel injected stuff.

27. Oldb

Oldb

Pop Pop, like that John Deere.

B

28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Buy 2 cans of Sea Foam, put them both in and run it.It will be fine

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one engine carbon up so bad that I ended pulling the head and spending a lot of time wire brushing the valves because they had big gobs of carbon on them after I used some old gas. I think that is what happened to the heads on my 500 Cad in my 71 GMC as the truck had sat for a while before I put that engine in and I didn't drain the old gas. From now on old gas goes in jugs and goes on the brush pile when I am ready to burn it.

30. So everyone will put shitty varnished gas in your tractors and lawn mowers? I guess your cars are more sacred .Do you not flip the bill for those too? hhmmmm. weed killer here. Better than round up!

squirrel likes this.