Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Please dont hate me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Feb 7, 2018.

1. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

2. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Also if you do a search for wagons on the Philly CL and set a filter for years 1940 to 1975 , I think the same seller as the Pontiac above has a few more for sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But hate is so much fun! As long as it's not in a bad way that is.

Good luck, take your time, make offers, try to remain focused. It's still a buyer's market in the private sector. Consider service parts and replacement stuff like trim, seat covers, etc. And remember, buy the best car you can for the $$$$. 65 and older GM 'A' bodies all interchange with the chassis stuff so adding disc brakes and the like becomes nuts and bolts. Older oddball stuff is mail order purgatory. And if you don't share what you end up with, well, we'll simply hate you...;)

Just Gary, Bruce Fischer and belair like this.
  4. I would say be different and don't go for tri-five. I am from TN originally and used to attend the Grand Runs in Pigeon Forge, Tri-fives everywhere. Not to mention all the camaros and mustangs. No hate here I'm just about getting a car that's different.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

King ford, MO_JUNK and Bruce Fischer like this.
  5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, there was a previous posting for $12,000. New posting is $10,500. I just looked.

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce, I just looked at the map attached to the CL posting and if the pointer is in the right place, this car is only about 4 miles from me. If it's something you might be interested in, I could take a look for you.

oldsjoe and Bruce Fischer like this.
  7. Let me guess. She's a chubby, rockabilly, Bettie Page wan'nabe. I'm not sure how the HAMBsters, in general, feel about the rockabilly peeps buying up a lot of the good, 50's iron, but at least it will be used and fun will be had.

8. ALANP561 I think I am going to lean towards something in the 1970s .I know it wont be H.A.M.B. friendly but I dont to get something a lot of people have torn in to time and time again over the years Easier to get parts for too but Thanks. Bruce.

9. Wizard no she was 16 and very nice looking. She sat real close to me while taking a test drive in the 56 Chrysler.I was just hopping her dad in the back seat was going to choke the shit out of me while we were driving. LOL. Bruce.

oldsjoe likes this.
  10. evintho

evintho

11. You'll be sorry,then you will have to sign up for fartbook to be able to share all the fun your having and you will miss the good natured banter you could be receiving from all your friends here.

Like,does the lighter work?

HRP

12. exterminator

exterminator

Yeah, don't be in a hurry because as soon as you settle and by a car you are not crazy about-the one you love shows up. I know personally!

13. BJR

BJR

Buy a 70's wagon and we will hate you! :eek::(:D

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Bruce, there's a hot rodder here in town who has a '79-80 Malibu wagon that his uncle bought new. Solid body with a fresh paint job, Silver IIRC, 305 V8 AT, etc. He's a trucker and I can't reach him till later, but his best buddy, also a friend of mine, says it's a nice car and he thinks he wants something like $6800-$7000 for it. It's here in Griffin, GA about 40 miles S of Atlanta, so a day's ride for you to get here. If you want me to do so, I can get more info for you, just PM me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. Glad this came to be Bruce.
    I really liked your Chrysler. I’m going to miss your Chrysler stories. That was a very cool car.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Bruce, please don’t buy something right away! We’re having so much fun spending your money!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. That '62 Pontiac looked pretty good. I know there is no engine or transmission but the car looks like the paint would be presentable.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That '62 Pontiac wagon does look nice. If you lived in GA it would be a good deal I think, because GA only goes back 25 years from current date in requiring a title. But I know for a fact that Tn goes way back for title requirements, and with a car that's now in PA and was in WA before that? Could be a nightmare.

19. This is true Danny.LOL. Bruce.

20. Thanks but I think I have one picked out aready.I will keep you all posted.Thanks Bruce.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bruce, don't be in a hurry and settle for a non HAMB wagon. Every time I'm in a hurry and buy something a short time later I find something I like better. It never fails. Besides you've got a lot of guys willing to help you find something.

Gary

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

23. 0nedon

0nedon

I had 2-buddys (twin brothers) and in the early days we would go "old car hunting". They had plenty of money so they looked for early fords. I was the poor boy so I looked for 47-54 chevy p.u. and 53-54 cars. Saturday mornings would start go eat breakfast load the car trailer and just head out in the country. Ba ck then in Ks. there used to be a lot of old cars just setting at old farms ect. By noon ,stop and pick up a case of beer and keep look'in. We found a lot- sold a lot. Now I kinda feel guilty, but I wouldn't have the cars if we wouldn't of bought and sold. Well one day about 4 hrs. north of my place I saw this old wagon off a small blacktop. We stopped and it was an old 1954 210 wagon emerald green with white top. Well I drove that old girl for over 12 years. By that time I had acquired about 20 of that sort of vehicles and one day I came home - you guessed it STATE papers saying if I wanted to keep'em become a licenced salvageyard and fence it 6' or higher. Well I realized I would have to get rid of them. I put an ad in Hemmings. Aguy showed up to buy 2 of the '54 cars, made a deal over the phone, done deal. When he got here (fro Colorado) he say my wagon in the drive-- How much for that wagon. I said not for sale. He got me, he said well what would you want for it IF it was for sale? I stuck my cheast out and said it would take 2500. to buy that, thought that would scare him off. Nope he said I'll take it. My head was spinning what happened, I went from proud to sad! I thought quick and said "that wouldn't include the tires and wheels". He said that's fine I'll use a set off one of the other cars I bought from you. He loaded her up and I watched her disappear down the blacktop. I came in the house and my wife said "I thought he was going to take one of the cars in the back". It was all I could do to tell her my ol' car was gone, big lump in my throt. Any way that was years ago, I still think about her from time to time. Did he take care of her is she still on the road? Guess I'll never know. I tried the # I used to have for him and it was disconnected. I always looked for another local and did finally find one but that would be another story. I've always had a soft spot for wagons. Good luck in your search and when you find it don't let someone get it from you.

Old wolf, Bruce Fischer and Truck64 like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

25. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Bruce the search is more than half the FUN! stay the course young man you'll run up on something you like and can afford! Joe

26. Well I drove 2 hours up to Va. to look at a late model chevy wagon .The guy had some picture on C List and it looked nice.He said there was no rust and it had 87,000 miles on it and it had cold A.C. Well I got there and its kinda in of lot.Now hes got the car running a ready {#1 that a red flag in my book.}#2 I popped the hood and this wagon had to have 187,000 miles on it .The valves covers were caked with oil and it was leaking oil all over.#3 the radiator was leaking water and all green where it been leaking before. The car has rust all over it. the rugs were all ripped apart and the A.C. wouldnt even kick on,and 1 look at the brake pedal told me the mileage had rolled over. I asked if I could drive it around the block and he said no. I wasn't there 5 minutes and I said I am going to pass on your car. He said want to make and offer{he wanted $3,500. for it} said it would make a nice cruiser. I kindly said no thank you and got back in the truck and drove 2 hours back to T.N. I hope you all didn't think I was mean to the fellow but I am not buying another P.O.S. I will keep hunting around here. I am going to try and stay in the late 50s and early 60s for a wagon. You all have a good weekend. Bruce.

27. belair

belair

Smart man. Sin in haste, repent in leisure.

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Not too big on C list cars myself Bruce, and I understand your wanting to stick to 50s & 60s, but I don't think you're gonna find much you want in those years that ain't rusty unless it's from out West. The new cars claim to be more resistant to salt due to e coat and galvo coatings, but the years you are wanting, unless you find one not driven on salted roads and that is, and has been, stored inside when not driven, your chances are slim to none.
    As for being mean or ugly to the VA guy, he deserved an ass chewing IMO.

29. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sometimes Bruce you have to eat a lot of apples until you taste the good one! Keep looking you'll find what your looking for. Joe