Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ford Truck, Floater, Wide Five when?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ric Dean, Oct 24, 2017.

1. No, the bolt pattern (wheel studs) are the same.
    The cars and 1/2 ton trucks used a tapered axle and the 3/4 tons are a floater axle.

39 ford car no hubs
    [​IMG]

3/4 ton truck
    [​IMG]

Ric Dean and Hnstray like this.
  2. @Enbloc this is a stock Ford car Wide Five Rear hub, note the tapered axle.
    [​IMG]
    V.S. the 3/4 Wide Five floater
    [​IMG]

3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I Have Pair For Sale. Used, not perfect, but very serviceable. $150 for the pair plus shipping.

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Awesome thread......I have been wondering about this myself for about 5 yrs....

5. O.K. a little history-

Stock Ford iron 3/4 ton Wide Five Hubs
    [​IMG]

Michigan Safety Racing Hub (more commonly know as Safety Race) an early aluminum aftermarket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next came two piece aluminum hub and drums from companies like S.R.E and Frankland These use 58 and up Buick brakes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A poor man alternative was to machine the Buick drums to run the iron Ford hub
    [​IMG]

Frankland Magnesium drums and open backing plates
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can not find a photo of a vintage Wide Five Hub disc brake hub mid to late 60's

Modern Racing Wide Five super light oil bearing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

anyone remember those G++ D+++ tapered washers you needed when bolting in the stock 3/4 axles?!

gas pumper likes this.
  7. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Robert
    ... I'll have to dig my stuff out of storage and figure out just what I do need. I am trying to keep it old timey with the Timken Axles so I will appreciate that list you spoke of. I also sent you a private message.
    Thanks, ric

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got some at NAPA years ago.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I'v got a gaggle of that old junk. IMG_0815.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

BOY OH BOY!! Marty, you got the market cornered! :confused:

Ray

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  11. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Thanks Mr. Palmer!

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Not right now Robert, but I will keep you in mind.

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

BTTT

I'm on a mission here. I have one original flanged axle here. Like the ones on the right in this photo.
    [​IMG]

It measures 32 3/4" from the underside of the flange to the end. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that this is the longer side (right?) from a Ford 3/4 ton Timken rear.
    Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
    How long is the other side?
    Do you have one like this or a pair, of the other (whatever that is) length?
    Could be from a Stude or something else, I just don't know.

Thanx,

Bruce

Ric Dean likes this.
  14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

QC Complete.jpg Here's my QC that has wide 5 floaters. It came out of an old 34 Ford stock car. Safety Hubs A.JPG Safety Hub Caps.JPG And these are my magnesium front hubs for use with floater stubs. They have cast iron '39 drums and Ford backing plates. I'm not sure of the brand. Maybe the "S" stands for "Safety"?

15. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Bruce
    My QC takes the same length Axle on both sides. The black one in the photo is the length I need I'll measure up what the other ones are the next time I'm over there but they are all diff lengths.

Supposedly there is a fabled existing list of the diff application Timken Flange Axles out there somewhere, maybe a Hollander.
    Ric

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Ric,
    Yes the old QCs generally used two axles of the same length. But I believe the original trucks had a long and a short.

The more sizes you can identify the better.

Thanx,

Bruce

17. k9racer

k9racer

to build a quick change you used 2 left side bells from the 3/4 ton truck. I have used- the light weight 85 horse power car bells and welded on the ----3-/4 -ton ends to make- a floating QC...... Hallibrand also sold adapters for the 12 bolt cover over the gears QC to use small bells. .

Ric Dean likes this.
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

While we are at it (and not to hijack this thread) can anyone tell me what I have here? I bought them years ago thinking I was going to do a wide-5 stock car style suspension but went another direction. They are vintage oval track, and I liked the spoke design... Thanx, Gary DSC_2808aW1000.jpg DSC_2809aW1000.jpg DSC_2811aW1000.jpg DSC_2815aW1000.jpg

Ric Dean likes this.
  19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Up early aren't we?
    The indications are that these are Winters, part # 5115. My earliest Winters Catalog (1995) shows a similar splined hub for the rear of a sprint car, but not the floater one you have. There is no listing for the 5115 in my 1993 price list.

The 10 bolt rotor is not unheard of, but not the standard (8 on 7" B.C.) Do you think they are Aluminum or Mag?

I'll keep looking.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow that was fast, from one early bird to another. Sadly, I think these are friggn steel. I never tested them with a magnet, and they are not readily available to test right now. They are heavy and I was wondering at one time if perhaps they were just HD truck parts and not race car parts but they are made for disc brakes, eh? I got them from a vintage race parts vendor. I was hoping at one time to find another pair to match, but... say la v. They are for sale, but the freight would be hefty. They'd also make a great base for a grinder or other shop tool! Or a master for casting in another material? Gary

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Steel? Wow!
    That doesn't seem right to me. By the time disc brakes got popular, everybody was making hubs of magnesium. I wonder if they were meant to have modified Buick drums (or something else) bolted to the back side?
    I like them, but don't need them, but somebody should have them.
    PM me with a price. I think I may know someone that could use them.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It may take me a few days to get them out of storage... and test with a magnet. More later, Gary

23. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Bruce
    This is Circle Track country and QC center sections are often built off center.
    I went to storage and all I had was the 2 Flange Axles sorry I forgot to measure the red axle.
    The Flange Axle I need is 28” measured from the inside of the Flange.
    I’ll look for a 32 3/4" from the underside? of the flange, for you.
    I have some leads on old ¾ Truck Axles that I’ll be running down this spring.
    I have multiple Double Splined Axles but none of them are the length I need, I’m sure your aware those are available new.
    I’ll let you know what develops. Ric

24. Marty knows that shit, if he said it I'll bank it. ;)

Marty excuse my lips on your left cheek, just giving credit where credit is due.

As far as I know ( which may or may not be limited) Ford is the only company to use the wide fives in this setup. The wide five is a neat setup if you are not afraid of Sprint car wheels. You can get almost any width and offset in aluminum ( think un-sprung weight here) and they are not a real expensive wheel. Like about half the price of an American mag new.

Someone posted a quicky with open axles on a sprinter, I had a line (maybe still do) on a steel quicky I open hexagon axles. This thread reminded me, I may just have to see if I can still get it. ;)

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Beaner,
    If you can get a picture or two of those hexagon axles, I would appreciate it. I think Frankland made them for a couple of years. But they never really caught on.

Quite awhile ago someone was selling a QC with those axle on the auction site. They wanted big money for it as it supposedly came from a Bobby Allison car. I just wanted pictures.

Thanx,

Bruce

26. Let me see if I can find my pics. If I recall all my information was on the center I figured I could make axles from octagon stock. But let me see if I can find any info for ya. The guy with the rear is an old roundy round guy from Pennsylvania as I recall.

This may take a bit. ;)

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Beaner, I am not sure how much I know about that excrement, but as I get older, I am getting an education on laxatives ! Thanks.

porknbeaner likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that Marty, some days I feel successful if that's the only thing that works smoothly.
    A guys priorities sure change don't they!

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No Ford trucks above 1/2 ton used wide five..Mainly because of dual rear wheels..Every model from stake bed to Cab Over to dump trucks used a bolt circle more standard; full dished centers to allow for dual rear wheels..My guess is that the stock cars were already using the wide five wheels and were proven in strength so when the Timken came about SOMEBODY must have made hubs in wide five? Pics are 32/33 up to 48/49. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018