Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 6, 2018.

1. “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”

- John Lydgate

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    hotrodharry2 likes this.
  2. 270bob

270bob

Danny, I have put a few early sbc with four speeds in a Deuce. There is a way to do this and not cut the firewall, k member or have to split the wishbone. If that interest you, pm me any time. Good luck with the build, I like the direction you are going. 270Bob

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, over the years I've had a couple of flathead powered cars and was never satisfied with their performance. Why pay more for less performance? A 283 or 327 is a great choice for your coupe.

Gary

Bam.inc and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I make no apologies, the Small Block Chevrolet is the greatest V8 engine ever built!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

283 or 327 is a wonderful little engine !!
    Can find parts anywhere, and cost to ad HP is not much either..
    I never knock the old Flattheads.. love them, but for pure Old School punch you just can't beat these SBC motors..
    Good luck, and hey, we want pictures..
    Cheers

hotrodharry2, Deuces, zzford and 2 others like this.
  6. Good luck on the motor run Danny! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My pal Lester Codd (Merced) gave me two great running 283s, numbers check turned out to both be 1965 truck blocks, with single-point Powr-Pak heads.
    I have some intakes, a 2X4 Edelbrock with two 500 CFM Carter Comp carbs; also a 3X2 with factory Rochesters.
    One went into my '50 F-1, the other was destined for my '27 tub.
    I had 4 or 5 flathead cores around, but to build? $$$! So, I resigned myself to do the SBC.
    Found some nice stuff for it: Rings, rod/main brgs, new valve springs, and a very slightly used Cal Cam my late bud Chico ground for me. Built a nice Mallory distributor for it, with the early Ford type crab cap...cool hot rod touch. Cal Custom V/Cs, stainless headers...getting ready to assemble.

My San Jose bud brought me a nice gift: '47 Merc flathead V8, Factory relieved block has no cracks, is bored .040" with 4 ring pistons, rebuilder's tag says .010 rods, .010" mains. However, a 'helper' in his shop pounded one piston dome 'flat' when removing them. (they come out the top, not the bottom!)
    A call to Dick Spadaro before he passed netted a .045" oversize 4 ring piston, $15.00 incl. shipping, so I put it in the lathe and crocus-cloth 'buffed it' to size. All valves are good, I'll do a nice valve grind before re-assembly...
    Pretty sure the SBC will win out for the tub...tranny adaptor, '39 box, '40 rear.
    But the flathead also fits those mounts...doesn't even need an adaptor...had MANY flatheads over the years, should know better.
    Eeny Meeny, Miney Mo....
    Which one'd really make it go? Yeah...which one, obviously...

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

In the words of the guy in the movie Wall Street : Too much is not enough. Or was it J R Ewing?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So,,,, what do you do? an adapter to the 3spd./ torque tube rear, or open drive conversion? A buddy had a 40 sedan with a 65 283 with an adapter and 39 box stock rear, It was a sweetheart.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  10. That is exactly what I am doing with my 39 sedan, 65 283 with 097 cam, 9.8 :1 compression tied to the 39 3 speed with a 3:54 gear in the banjo. I drove one with that combination 10 years ago and it was the best thing in the world!

11. @HOTRODPRIMER If you go with an adapter to a early ford box, I have a few of them laying around I can hook ya up with.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. my 36 Coupe has a 327 SBC Vette engine... nothing to radical... f3.jpg

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In my world the only thing that rolls off the tongue better than 327 is...............
    327 with a 4 speed, preferably a Muncie 4 speed.

mkebaird, bowie, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. One of my old Forty sedans had that same set up and I loved it when driving around town,out on the interstate it left something to be desired,then again,I haven't ruled it out. HRP

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Giving Danny advice on looking at a SBC now ain't that sumpin. ROFLMFAO.jpg

26 T Ford RPU and mike bowling like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, your pocketbook will Love you even if others don't! scrap metal 48 (Milo) had Model A's with smallblocks and they definitely fit the overall theme of the cars (understated, yet reliable). That is some sweet ride and I really like Moose's version. Will it be at SIM this year? Later, Carp

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

And it has been the traditional solution to the puny flathead and its problems since 1955

18. I know just enough about the early sbc to be smart enough ask questions,I'll listen to everyone that offers legitimate information.

I'm a 100% sure the coupe won't be at sims,this is going to be a slow & methodical build compared to my Deuce pickup. HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

So why no pics yet Danny?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Road draft tube, no side mounts and canister oil filter (to a point in time) would be a quickie start.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. 392

Never argue with a fool people might not know the difference. MARK TWAIN.

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Something simple................... 12-21-12 (42).JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Moselli

Moselli

My friend Randy is a near genius on every subject except women. (Married four times, no house, no money, lives with his parents.)

Randy said the key number to look for is 8. That's the number of cylinders the motor should have....

Moselli

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW, a LOT of responses here. Just hope it's a 3731548 265/283 block (hope for a 265); same casting numbers used for both sizes. That block will have the provision for a block mounted starter motor, so any new automatic transmission, and any manual shift transmission bellhousing will bolt to it, and work for what you need it too; 55/56 blocks can only use a bellhousing mount starter motor, which is fine for a manual trans, but another for an automatic (like cast iron Powerglides or dual range hydro's?). Front mounts strictly also. I'd avoid a 55, 265 block; too many oiling issues involved (don't hate me those who have a 55, 265). With the early SBC V-8's, you're getting real close to the time the flat head ford V-8 was facing almost total extinction, do to those same SBC's. And, you can still build one for a LOT less than a flathead V-8, or just about any other engine too. I just happen to have one of those, AND, TWO sets of NOS .030 over, TRW pistons, and all the stuff to assemble a couple of engines. I might even get around to it too, after a few other projects get done first. We ALL know that story. Lets all hope it's NOT a LATER 327, 307, 305, 262, 267, or the even later SBC engines. Who knows what your friend actually has? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. jim snow

jim snow

Danny,no matter what you can always dress it period correct. Snowman

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. how about a combo Danny, build a 327 with a 283 crank? .........all the cool kids have them.:D;) DSCF4202.JPG

27. I haven't been able to go get it yet. HRP

28. I've got a nice pair of Chevy II ram's horn manifolds and an sbc Mallory flat cap distributor to trade for that useless 4 cylinder you're going to remove :D

Ooooh, and a rare Shell bottle you can use for a puke tank :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Hey,that's not a bad idea using a old rare shell bottle for a puke tank,I think I have one of those out in the garage. HRP

50 Chevy PU likes this.
  30. Unless that's the one you sold to me :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.