Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering vega box vs unisteer in a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Feb 6, 2018.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I have a 29 model full fender SBC and it is down to the frame to the frame,it need a new steering box. I am looking at options, vega box ,unisteer, or what else have you used. Thanks

2. I've used several early F-1 boxes & Vega boxes and one unisteer,to be honest I didn't care for the unisteer. HRP

3. Not my car, but one I found/bought for a buyer, had a unisteer. Worked well but too slow of a ratio for the "new 32" that it was in. I didn't care for it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Personally I would use a Vega. And I do mean either an OEM used box in good shape if you can find one, or one made by Borgeson on the original tooling and machinery.
    I would not walk across the street for a free knock-off Vega. As always price is not everything.

sidevalve8ba likes this.

5. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I had a after market vega box in my roadster pick up. It gave
    me lots of trouble, both in driving and keeping it in adjustment.
    I finally went with the mavel unit. It was like night and day.
    I can steer with one finger, its that light. Its a great unit. Incidentally
    my roadster is full fendered and runs a 401 buick nailhead with
    turbo 400 trans with a switch pitch.

Doctorterry and zzford like this.
  6. sdluck

sdluck

I assume you mean unisteer by Mavel.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Put a Unisteer in my '31 and liked it enough to be putting one in my '32.

zzford likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

SD
    I paid the premium for the ?Borgeson version, have heard the offshore versions are a problem.
    BTW, how's that alloy motor coming along?

9. sdluck

sdluck

The Alloy motor I picked up from the guy building it had some thing not right. I took it to a guy I used to race sprint cars with and he had done some rodeck so he is going to verify what I found. He has a test run stand. I will let you know as soon as it is running.Your car is a 32 , mine is a 29 ,what oil pan and headers are you running? I am trying to get the steering and headers figured out so I can go on with the frame and put the crossmember in and clear the pedals. All info would be of help

10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it depends.

I know of Unisteer replacements for absolutely fucked Vega boxes that the owners are orgasmic over. But they might have been just as pleased with a new Vega?? Face it, anything would have been an improvement over what they had!

I replaced a new, good Vega box with a Unisteer to just get the quicker ratio - there were other reasons why I couldn't achieve this with a Vega box. I'm orgasmic too! But that's just that I got steering that feels 'right' rather than slow and wrong.

I hear tales of reduced turning circle and whilst I accept there might be a little, it's not dramatic and the benefits swamp the negatives.

Zero bumps steer? No way (but I'm being a bit harsh)! In an occasional major droop situation (as might be experienced on LA freeways at 80mph) there's major deviation, but it's really just a wobble in an extreme situation, which is perhaps rare(?) and quite manageable. 99.999% of the tine it's absolutely wonderful!

I'd happily use another Unisteer. But the bracket sucks in a new build - I'd work something better in than the clearly replacement arrangement. But in my current (new) build I'm using a quick ratio Vega box, so go figure!

Chris

05snopro440 and zzford like this.
  11. sdluck

sdluck

Does your oil pan have a kickout on the bottom. Mine is a moroso for a stroker SBC.

12. I’ve used several Vega Hybrid boxes.
    No real strength to them. Short longevity.
    I have a 32 Roadster with a Unisteer. Performs flawlessly.
    Have 7,000 miles on it now. Was a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

05snopro440 and zzford like this.
  13. This.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So side steer is not an option?

15. sdluck

sdluck

As in gear box location yes if it'll clear everything I got going on

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

check with HAMBer @NealinCA , he does some really nice rebuilds of F1 / F100 boxes, beautiful workmanship.

There are other choices, reversed Corvair boxes, Borgeson has some Saginaw side steer boxes, check out their catalog here: http://borgeson.com/Images/100th_Catalog.pdf

Tim likes this.
  17. Also mustang box

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I guess I am kinda dumb but what is unisteer?

19. sdluck

sdluck

And bolts up to where Vega box bolts up and it's kind of a one-way steering rack

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I have mustang in my Roadster. It is great. 40K miles without a hiccup. AND you don't need a Panard bar to keep everything aligned.

21. bct

bct

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hmmmm..... I see.

Thanks

bct likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Why use a Unisteer......is the Vega too traditional?

24. The aftermarket Vega type box is very poor quality. The really good aftermarket
    Box is VERY expensive.

05snopro440 likes this.
  25. Unisteer @ $299 from Speedway vs Borgeson's good Vega box @ $335 not really a big price difference for something that works without compromise and looks like it belongs on an old car.

117harv and Fordors like this.
  26. Never drove a unisteer in an old rod. Did drive one in a '55 Chevy and it seemed a little sluggish to me.

Vega boxes are good enough for a light car and are cheap enough new for a car that is getting rebuilt. The feel good and work real well for a cross steer. For a side steer I would go with an F-1 or first gen F100 box, easy and work well.

For a full on '60s build I would look for a 'vair box. I think they can be had new also. I would not use the vega or the 'vair box in a heavy car.

05snopro440 likes this.
  27. butch27

butch27

I'm running a F-1. Works fine

28. Fordors

Fordors

I don’t know beaner, I think the Corvair is kind of an odd duck. The ears on the casting don’t lend themselves to a good looking mount and the sector shaft is short, that means it would need to mount on top, or worse, bottom of the frame for a side steer application.
    Cross steer could work but a Borgeson Vega is considerably cheaper, compared to the only Corvair clone I would trust and that is the Flaming River Corvair box at $400+.

29. Guess time is getting away from me, the ;last time I looked at a 'vair box it was a 150 dollar item new in the box. They were a popular item in the '60s ( some reversed for side steer) and seemed to mount well enough for the era.

30. Fordors

Fordors

Yeah, I get it, time slips away. My wife will often tell me it’s not 1980 any longer when I say what I used to pay for something.
    One of the worst things the new age has brought us is the ease of making a knock-off, whether it is a steering box, brake components, a distributor or whatever. To the original poster, whichever steering box you go with buy quality, don’t shop price.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    razoo lew likes this.