Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cars For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I like taking a look at the Cars For Sale section but I notice that many of the cars for sale have been listed for more then a few years.
    Is the price just to high or his the car for sale just not a popular enough car or what's going on?

I have also seen guys who would list this car for some really high price and then just wait 5 years or more to try and get a decent offer!

Jimbo

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

There is a 32 Victoria on FordBarn that has been advertised since 2012!
    The guy wants you to bring $40,000 cash to his house in Mexico.
    Sounds like a scam yet the ad is still running

czuch likes this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

That is the way the old car for sale hobby is. It either sells really quick or takes forever. It does not seem to exactly be price related. Yes, a good buy gets sold quickly, but an average car at average price you never know when it will sell.

4. khead47

khead47

I have been watching C.L. for a couple of YEARS looking for a HAMB friendly DD. No luck. When a good buy pops up (about once a year), if it is not within an hour drive- and is gone within hours of posting. Most ads are for overpriced P.O.S. that have been listed at the same price for months or even years.

5. There are cars in the cars for sale board that are reasonable priced, I think that when it comes to cash sales that there just isn't enough loose cash flying around. I have been looking at the old HAMB Chargers car, a running driving 413 Polera street strip car. It could be had for less than 5 K and is only a weekend jaunt to get it home for me. If I had the cash I would be on my way to AZ as we sit.

(just an example)

Automotive Stud and Hamtown Al like this.
  6. As car guys "age out" supply becomes greater and demand becomes less.

Also, IMO, many of the cars and parts for sale here are way over priced.

7. Sounds like a one-way trip and i don,t mean the trip back home. Well the trip back home could be boring in a casket.

8. skipperman

skipperman

And keep in mind ..... A LOT of the guys DON'T BOTHER TO MARK the car as SOLD after it has ...........

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Some of it is bottom fishing or an "I really don't need/want to sell it price". It's like the guy that parks a 25k car at car shows and always hangs a 40k obo for sale sign on it. He's in no hurry (maybe the Wife is puting the screws to him on his parts and cars hoard).
    Others are cars that are a "tough match" and have a very limited buying pool.

There are parts in the parts for sale classifieds that have been there forever, being bumped dozens of times. Some guys are asking 2-3 times what parts typically sell for.

If someone REALLY needed to sell the car or parts it would be priced accordingly. I always use the old Real Estate sales motto; "if it hasn't sold in 90 days, it's overpriced".

10. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Some of it is bottom fishing or an "I really don't need/want to sell it price". It's like the guy that parks a 25k car at car shows and always hangs a 40k obo for sale sign on it"

Then you get the opposite guys that put a for sale sign on something like a 32 ford with a low price of $2500 next to a sold sign and listen to everyone kicking themselves for not getting there sooner. :)

Around by me if the car isn't a very popular known old car they tend to sit even at low price tags. I like the goofy unusual dare to be different type cars that you normally don't see but everyone else around me seems to want those popular models like 55-57 chevies, early 60's mustang, corvettes ,etc basicly the common cars at shows, I tend to just walk past them, to me how many can you look at? I want to see something different.

Good thing when I buy a car it is for my pleasure but for most others they are buying investments so I can understand them going for certain models and makes and avoid all the cheap priced oddball unknown, untalked about cars. But then i'm not really an old car flipper but an old car collector.or better known as an old car hoarder. :)

zzford, scotts52, czuch and 5 others like this.
  11. See it all the time cars priced 10X what they are really worth
    And they are on the local site for years on and off

Stuff that’s priced reasonable or realistic goes quick

I think it also depends on what your selling. Had a mint all original 69 lincolin a few years ago all mechanicals gone through my DD for 4 years it was gold with gold leather !!
    Priced it at $9500 it took me almost a year to sell it as everyone wanted “ black on black “
    It eventually sold to some one like me who like the “ fat Elvis” style of it

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Telephone number prices are a part of the game , projects seem to take a while to find the right buyer , I price my stuff reasonably and always find a buyer...I will sit on a good car...wait for the buyer who knows what he's looking at...

13. The insurance man thinks it's worth pocket change. The exwife's lawyer thinks it's worth enough to retire on a tropical island. So between the devil and the deep blue sea, somewhere therein lies the truth.

Actually it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it. An emotional buyer vs a rational seller should equate to a quicker sale. But with an emotional seller vs a rational buyer? Nuh uh, a sale ain't happening.

Never2low, biggeorge, TagMan and 6 others like this.
  14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

After spending a few years,driving to swap meets , purchasing parts that might fit or might end up as wallhangers . all the trial and error finally finishing a car , looking back at how much you've $pent ,when the need arises to sell. it is hard to come to grips with the fact the finished product is worth less than half the money , and your time and troubles are worth nothing , then you have to listen to Amateur Pickers running your car down in effort to negotiate a lower price..... Choose your projects carefully because it will cost more than it'll be worth in our lifetime . when I had my shop , I tried to explain to people who approached me with some rusty P.O.S. asking to have it Restored , I always tell them to take half the money and a couple months and shop around for something already finished and drive away the first day , let the seller be the loser . But no one ever understands the reality of it , until they've been through it once .

15. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Meet me at the border is what I would tell that guy. And bring me baja style shrimp tacos.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kan Kustom, czuch and Hnstray like this.
  16. ...don't think too many HAMBers fit into the prices some guys are askin on here,...I think guys post on here are hopin "others"(non-HAMBers) see the car listed,...how many HAMBers do you know that wanna buy that 40-50,ooo dollar 32/34Ford , let alone the $110,000 coupe?
    ...I know these cars are in demand but IMO most are way overrated;...you can have the same fun as the big $ guys drivin a $5,000 '50's pickup that you put together in your own garage.
    ...I look at the cars for sale everyday and do get tired of seeing the same cars over and over, but then again, I've had cars advertised on here for over a year and still not sold, but are low-buck projects,...it's all in hittin the rite guy for the vehicle you have.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm firmly convinced price is the key to selling. For the previous 5 years I've sold a car at the NSRA Nats in Louisville, KY. All the cars were TRI 5 or X frame Chevies and were very nice and in the 20-30K range. Not so with the car in my avatar. It is a recently completed nut & bolt frame off restoration with less then 600 miles on it. It has show quality paint that is flawless, not a chip, ding, scratch or dent. It has an original 300 HP 327 rebuilt with lots of new go fast goodies. Has a ground pounding idle and pulls hard through all RPM ranges with a 3.73 positraction rear end. M21 four speed, Vintage Air Gen lV, complete brand new black Cars Inc. interior, bumpers, grill and all the exterior trim has been chrome plated. Really has too much to list. It has to be one of the finest 63 Impalas there is. Theres nothing not to like or anything needing to be done. Its been in one judged car show and won best of show. I've been asking less then half of whats in it. No one has even looked at it. Turned down several low balls and trades. The higher the price the smaller the market gets. I believe it will sell to the first interested buyer that sees it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. Exactly. You sometimes lose sight of just how much work time and money you put into a vehicle. Then when you want to sell, you try to figure out what you have in it. Truth is, your work and time have no value to a new owner. It will sell for the same as a car you did not invest sweat into.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you don't do a lot of the work yourself and pay to have it done you usually don't recoup the money invested...

catdad49, Frankie47 and Flathead Dave like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not looking to recap my labor costs. Willing to take half of whats in it.

21. I agree.........and then right after I agree nobody would spend $110,000 to buy a coupe [black 32, 3 window on the classifieds] I deleted the ad because the car sold.
    Just shows you never know. Can't tell how many times I've been wrong when I look through the classifieds and think "Damn! Nobody in their right mind would pay that much for that car/part"...but they will, sometimes.

Malcolm likes this.
  22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Price is a good part of what it takes to sell a collector car. But demand for the type of car you have is also a major factor. I advertised a 1934 Ford three window coupe on here a few years ago and it sold in two months - with inquiries from all over the world. More recently have advertised a 1953 Ford convertible project car with an interesting custom car history - at a price of less than half my cash investment - and have yet to receive a single inquiry. So sticking with 34 Fords!

23. Rocky,I personally think that a lot of cars in the classifieds are guys that are just using Ryans website because ITS FREE,,,,If it sells,it sells if not their not out a damn thing...I personally think that Ryan should make it harder for those kind of guys to register here...Most do not provide any advice on situations...just use the FREE ads

Never2low, X38, czuch and 3 others like this.
  24. When the price range is $30K+ it typically is modified to previous owners taste (albeit-quality, possibly dated), but most of us want to put our personal style/taste into it.

So you buy that $30K+ car (say priced reasonably), now it arrives in your garage, your creative juices start flowing, you feel changes will have to be made.

Changes may include an upholstery change, paint change, tire/wheel change, stance, etc., quickly these ad up, now that $30K car, in your eyes will require an additional $10K+ to "make it your own", this is when a reasonably priced car is priced too high to get to where you want to end up.

Car doesn't sell, unless there is that rare buyer out there that happens to love it the way it is, and is happy with driving someone else's vision. Buying pool has been reduced dramatically.

biggeorge likes this.
  25. Rocky,...jus wonderin if a HAMBer bought that coupe?

26. I don't get the "testing the waters" type sales pitch.......

Frankie47 likes this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

read a couple posts about how much we put into these old heaps and you can't get your money back and all the time you spent building it. newsflash!! this is a hobby. your time has no value because you are doing something fun.

no one puts this same thinking on their hobby or favorite activity but us car guys because we are one of the few hobbyists that have something of value for all our efforts. my buddy spends a fortune going to Giants games, sits right behind home plate and has been doing it for years,,, what does he have to show for it? a bunch of hats and bobble heads. he'll never be able to sell those and recoup even enough for 3 beers at a game.

28. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

They say there is an ass for every seat. I maintain there are at least two or you'd be stuck with every dumb thing you ever bought. However, if the price is out of sight maybe there is only one "ass".

eddie1, 40ragtopdown and Saxman like this.
  29. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Yeah, but we just get to see the posted ASKING price; not secretly negotiated the "SOLD FOR" price.

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad. That's a really nice looking car. Now, if it said FORD on it, I'd be all over it. Just kidding. That car is everything that I wanted and couldn't afford in '63. I still can't afford it but it's a really nice car.

Gman0046 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.