Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects just Another Model A Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Jan 27, 2018.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Got this from Ebay last month. Demo day today.
    IMG_8327.JPG IMG_8330.JPG IMG_8351.JPG IMG_8352.JPG IMG_8354.JPG IMG_8359.JPG

kidcampbell71, brEad, Marcia and 6 others like this.
  2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Building a 4 banger with Lion's Speed head, Stromberg, cast iron headers, T5 tranny. 16 inch wire rims from a member on here and a bent lowered axle from thunderbirdesq. Going to install juice brakes with later model spindles. I think I will keep the fenders, was going to go open wheel.

Dannerr, brEad, slv63 and 5 others like this.
  3. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Keep the fenders, nice looking A.

4. Nice! I vote for keeping the fenders.
    Nice wood working shop you have there! The boat project looks neat.

osage orange likes this.

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Thanks vtwhead, shop is never big enough.

Going to be heavy, being a 4 door, but I like it a lot.

osage orange and Doctorterry like this.
  6. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

This is cool! 4 bangers are neato

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

osage orange likes this.
  7. Good looking Briggs A.

8. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

IMG_8367.JPG IMG_8368.JPG IMG_8364.JPG

Kicked my butt today, fuel tank and fenders are a bitch. Found a good way to get small undercarriage bolts free. Drill a hole center head on soft hex heads and when you twist they break right off.
    Engine look good red? Or is it too much? On the bubble, black or red.

Dannerr likes this.
  9. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

10. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CBC6A68B-5D1B-438A-ABAB-D2D3A5B4BFFB.jpeg 6F93A9A2-F2B9-4349-BE55-B43171FE447E.jpeg i vote leave the fenders....Lion speed head works well for mine

hfh, 302GMC, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.
  11. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am agreeing with you. I have been following your thread, at least I think it was yours. I love the stance, what size tires?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    tb33anda3rd and 28Hud like this.
  12. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they are 550-16 front and 700-16 rear...makes a pretty nice stance

55styleliner likes this.
  13. Any reason you are going with later spindles instead of the inexpensive conversion kit to use the "A" spindles? Remember to run the adapters when you run wire wheels with later brake drums.

Charlie Stephens

14. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Charlie, My head is spinning from so many choices and so many opinions given to me. I was planning to use A spindles along with bending the steering arms. I hauled my dropped axle, spindles, and steering arms down to a local really cool fab shop so they could help me with the arms. After 5 minutes talking with them they talked me into the later spindles with the steering arms from Speedway. Not much $$ and can use the later tie rod ends instead of the old ball and sockets. I can also use the later king pins and not alter the brake socket on A pins. Another owner of my local A and T motor rebuild shop has a few hot rod A's, and he also pointed to using these spindles. I myself still don't understand all I need to know about the geometry and what works with what, but am learning. I may have to tweak as I go, but I think I have a good foundation with the base parts I have. I will post pics as I clean it up and start adding the parts. You guys can set me straight.

15. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Here are a couple pics of his front end
    IMG_8325.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Welcome to the fast 4 banger club. The Lion speed head is the first huge difference you can make. The fully synchronized transmission is wonderful and self adjusting, self energizing brakes are great. I have posted lots of technical information about my avatar su carbs.jpg

hfh, Dannerr, brEad and 3 others like this.
  17. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

18. I was overlooking the dropped axle (and dropped spindles). If the guys doing the work want the later spindles that would be the way to go. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Charlie Stephens

19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

No problem Charlie, they want me to keep the wishbone intact also. But thunderbirdesq made me a kickass set of split bones with a little extra added camber. I think I will stick with them.

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Too much red???
    IMG_8394.JPG IMG_8393.JPG

hfh, 302GMC, tb33anda3rd and 9 others like this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am liking you build! What are you going to run for a steering box? Keeping the A box or F1 or going to go with a cross steer set up with a vega box?

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I also forgot to ask about your T-5 plans. What kind of a set up are you planning or running on the front of the transmission to the motor and what kind rear end are you planning on? There are several conversions from 4WD Jeep or S-10 that run a torque tube. I Love the T-5 in my coupe!

23. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have a T-5 kit a fellow in KY does. Open drive shaft, I will get some pics on it later. F1 box with Speedway spindles. Getting ready to pull the body this weekend and start stripping the frame of the hardware.

Dannerr and Binger like this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Always exciting to lift the body off! Do you have pictures of the adapter plate for the transmission to the bell housing? I haven't seen any good kits for that side of the conversion. Are you using an AA Bellhousing? I got a plate and throw out set up from a place that is no longer in business. I then also had to build a shaft adapter for the clutch plate and input shaft. Sorry about all the questions I am ready to start another build and am trying to collect parts to run another T-5.

Dannerr likes this.
  25. Marcia

Marcia

winduptoy likes this.
  26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I will take pics tonight and get them to you. He uses stock bell housing and his adaptor plates look a little, ....well like plate metal. Not the prettiest, but he is not doing these for the rod group. I think he markets these for stock A guys that want the conversion. He owns a transmission shop in KY. I will get you the info.

Dannerr and Binger like this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks! The plate I have is just a plate with two sets of holes drilled in it. I am wondering about the length of the input shaft. With the stock bell some people use a custom clutch disk with T-5 Splines. I made a small shaft adapter for my car. I went through this before and I am glad to see maybe I can just buy parts. I am interested to see what your set up looks like. You can see what I got to work on by build thread in my signature.
    Thanks again.

Dannerr likes this.
  28. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am blessed to be about right in the middle of a lot of these Midwest suppliers. We drove out to Brookville, OH this afternoon and did some shopping.
    IMG_8411.JPG IMG_8397.JPG IMG_8396.JPG

tb33anda3rd and Dannerr like this.
  29. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

New tires mounted, had to try them out before the body comes off and frame is stripped. I will measure frame to ground and then see what the difference is after finished.
    IMG_8459.JPG IMG_8461.JPG

tb33anda3rd and Dannerr like this.
  30. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Stripping the frame now. How do you guys fill the rivet holes? IMG_8470.JPG IMG_8503.JPG IMG_8504.JPG

Dannerr, brEad, 427designer and 2 others like this.