Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds 371 3 speed selector transmission Shifter ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by subneil56, Feb 3, 2018.

1. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

Looking for info on a shifter for my 3 speed. Was told Foxcraft & ?? made shifters for my 57 trans. Seems like 57/58 would be the same. Looking for any info as to where to locate one
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Good luck! They are as rare as those chicken teeth are. Seen them on the web but they are very pricey. What are you putting the 371 and the tranny in? There are other traditional options. F&J and I have used the selector gut in 37 Buick cases to get that traditional shifter look. He is driving his now down in Ct and loves it. Mine is under construction still.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There had been two on that auction site, we all know and love, for some time. But, I can't find them now; they were $$$ also. I also did't spend more than a couple of minutes looking; maybe you can spend a little longer.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I bought a '51(?) Olds Selector trans. at a swap meet with a home made floor shift.
    It works OK but the shift pattern is backwards...kind of cool I think.
    1950 Olds Transmission 008.JPG 1950 Olds Transmission 009.JPG

Paul likes this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not sure who made made that shifter. Its not an Ansen.

6. Be hard to steal:D

7. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Yep...1st is where reverse should be and 2nd is where 3rd should be. I like it!

8. That tranny would look like this
    buickconv.jpg

This one has been converted using a 51 olds 98 internals that has a 1 1/8 diameter main drive shaft. Rugged!

Paul likes this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made my own for a '50's Buick selector transmission (they all work the same). It was pretty easy and worked very well. Mine too, had the "backwards" shift pattern. I also think that is good feature because it places the shift lever out of the way up towards the dash when you're in high (where you spend most of your time). These cars weren't designed for floor shifts, so a regular pattern would get in the way. It is super easy to get used to. Most of us have a DD with an automatic and a "hobby car" with a stick and I have never heard of anyone ever having a problem moving from one to the other.

I should add that the one I made used a completely different approach than the one pictured. It was simpler and the stick was placed farther forward, which is actually a better place for it.

10. I had a Ansen 2 years ago that I picked up in bulk deal out of CT. Refurbished the thing and it is on a 57 Olds out in Viisalia, CA. I had taken a pic of the design but can't find it but did find one on the web. Unique set up, not easy to duplicate.
    ansen partial 2.jpg

11. BJR

BJR

Can't you just flip the shift arm 180 degrees to fix the backwards shift pattern? Or doesn't that work with this trans?

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

13. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Read the text...it's home made.
    :rolleyes:

14. sunbeam

sunbeam