Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED, Feb. 3, 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Thanks yet again Jonnie as this is a case of ''Lest We Forget''. JW

Jonnie King likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

26T Ford RPU...
    I can always count on you, and that GREAT group of New Zealander's, to remember the "Roots of Rock & Roll"...and "The Day The Music Died". http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

Many thanks, and stay safe & well, my friend,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

wvenfield,

What a GREAT pic ! Many sincere thanks for Posting it ! You're Dad was a lucky man to be able to meet them ! Your, and your Dad's, personal piece of Rock & Roll History !

And, yes, if anyone's in that area, ya gotta see Ryan Cain & the Ables...it'll be a cool show I'm sure !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. Thanks Jonnie for bringing the thread back up. I knew you would LOL. I was thinking about watching the Buddy Holly Story movie, I have it on DVD. Think I will.;)

Bowtie Coupe and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. wvenfield

wvenfield

My dad (in the above pic) is a big Holly fan. I know all the lyrics by heart as the records played a lot as a kid. LOL

Anyway, in the early 80's my sisters husband was in the Air Force in Lubbock. My mom and dad went to visit and my dad decided to go knock on Buddy's parents door. They invited him him. His brother Larry showed up while he was there. The one thing I remember him saying was that his mom was not happy about the scene where Buddy punches the guy. She said Buddy never punched anyone. :D

7. Snippets like this are pure gold.:cool::cool::D JW

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker,

You're sure welcome...it's always a "pure pleasure" to share history here, as we all know that "everything has to start someplace"...and I've always loved to document it for all to learn from & enjoy.

The memories that we all have about the various people, places, cars, things, etc., that we've had in our lives, echo through the canyons of our minds & hearts...and can help us relive the fun, the excitement, and, the great times we've had. And by doing that, can cheer us up and make us feel good, even during a bad time in our life.

Thanks again,

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Went to the first post. On the website is there supposed to be audio?.

11. Out of all the Crickets, I would have liked to have met Jerry Allison and talked drumming like I once did with D.J. Fontana, Elvis' drummer..he signed a pair of my sticks...doesn't get more real than that.:cool::cool::D JW

Bowtie Coupe and mad mikey like this.
  12. 18n57

18n57

The Surf Ballroom is nearby and we have taken several visitors there, we enjoy it every time. Two in-laws were there in 1959, for the show. The place is a music museum, tons of archive material about the three that died as well as hundreds of other musicians that have performed there. Well worth a visit!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Well said, Jonnie

Bowtie Coupe and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. I will get to the Surf Ballroom one day. JW

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Fortunateson...

Yes, there is audio. Just make sure you have Adobe Flash installed on your Laptop,Desktop, or, any other media-access-device you use. I always build my Pages for the "big screen" (they're easier to see that way), and iPods, iPhones, iPads, don't always accept Adobe Flash...that's the way Steve Jobs built them.

But, I ALWAYS check the Links on here after I Post them to make sure they work. I'm listening to it right now on my HP Laptop and it's fine.

I'm sorry you had this problem, but if you get to a Windows-based PC, try it again and you should be fine. Depending on the "speed" of your ISP, it may take a couple of seconds for the audio to start. Here's the Direct Link : http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html
    Thanks again for letting me know...as this may help anyone else that may have a problem.

Best to you in B.C. !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Special Ed likes this.
  16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks, Mikey ! And thanks for the great pix too !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

17. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Didn’t realize we were approaching the anniversary of a legend. 59 years since the music died, but the question remains, would he had been as big as Elvis? He certainly was unique, innovative, and brilliant as a song writer/arranger. So I guess it’s time to put it to the board. Music was a big part of ourlifeStyle., so what about it H.A.M.B.er’s up or down? yes or no? Thumbs up/down. Let’s answer the question that has loomed since 2/3/59.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. That's a great question and one I have pondered over for decades. One thing is that with the plane crash, it left the stage bare for performers like Elvis to have the bigger share. I would think Buddy would have done well but he would have had to have changed with the changing sounds soon to follow. Elvis' movies made him bigger and the long Las Vegas stint kept him up there. But one thing that would be special is Buddy doing shows in the future of his great works as so many artists from long ago are doing now. JW

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks for your yearly reminder that today is a day to reflect on the music that was like a punch in the chest when it first broke out. I remember listening to my sisters 45's and loving the wild sound of basic rock and roll.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Thanks for putting this out to the crowd. I don't subscribe to the "Day The Music Died" theory.
    I do think Buddy Holly could have been a musical genius but doubt that he would have had the
    staying power without major changes to his style. I believe he would have turned to country
    & western music (as opposed as to what is called country music today). Bobby Vee did a very good
    job of carrying on the Holly tradition without mocking or imitating him. Bobby Fuller was another
    who would carry Holly's torch, and I've always got time to listen to Tommy Roe's "Sheila".

Richie Valens was a flash in the pan. "La Bamba" was great and I haven't heard anyone, not even
    Los Lobos, do it as well, but "Donna" was really a run of the mill ballad. The Big Bopper? Purely
    a novelty act.

Rock has died many deaths. Eddie Cochran's passing left a big hole. The day the music died hasn't
    come yet. It's a fascinating legend but that's all it is, a legend.

26 T Ford RPU and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Ok I’ll go with R. Valens being short lived. But, let’s not forget that Holly wrote and insisted on control of “his music” . Just food for thought, but, how many songs did Elvis co -write or wrote. Not putting Elvis down but let’s remember the times, and what they were putting out. The question remains: could Buddy Holly (had he lived) been as popular. A thumbs up/down will do. Very sightful @26 T Ford RPU. His arranging style was way ahead of his time. He incorporated instruments that wasn’t common to the day. (Ex: raindrop’s)played with strings. I haven’t met many Car Guys that didn’t admit that music didn’t play a part in their up bringing. Still does, even today.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thank’s for your opinion, quick85. Rock&roll is still alive, we just have to sort it out.

23. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Some what OT for this discussion, but related. What would Country music look like if Waylon had been on the plane?

24. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

What say you @Jonnie King, you have lived the music like few of us. Your opinion please?

25. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

We can only speculate. Great question.

26. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Once the spotlights go out. Reality becomes a lonely place to be.

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Ref - Bob Seger : Turn The Page .

28. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks. Somebody gets it.

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

Don Mclean coined the phrase in the "Miss American Pie" song. It wasn't so much that rock and roll per se died, it was that three of the original artists to break through with a type of cross over music died. Buddy Holly with his distinctive sound ( a nerdy looking white guy), the Big Bopper with his silky smooth, Southern style and infrences, and Richie Valens coming out with a catchy tune highlighted with phrases in Spanish. This was real new to lots of folks- really different from anything they'd heard . Look at Elvis Presley and his moves on stage and tie in to black Gospel music, and imagine him dying at such a young age.
    The phrase is only words, open to interpretation, but the music lives on.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to like the OLD Bob Seger, but the last cd of his I got was played once and shitcanned.
    Each to his own.