Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auction Site Payment Changes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 1, 2018.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Dunno if this has been mentioned, or even should be...got this email about new payment streams. Anyone else get it, or care to summarize? Sounds like they might be ditching Paypal.

Feel free to delete thread...

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email [email protected].

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Bob Kupbens
    Laura Chambers
    VP, B2C Selling
    VP, C2C Selling
    Learn More to protect yourself from spoof (fake) e‑mails.

eBay will periodically send required e‑mails to you, about the site and your transactions. Visit our Privacy Noticeand User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2018 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. If they still limit you to only paying one way, I will still try to buy & sell my stuff elsewhere. If they go back to letting sellers accept money orders then I would go back to selling stuff on there.

Kan Kustom and LM14 like this.
  3. The transition to full payments intermediation,

Can someone explain what that means?

Truck64 likes this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I quit even looking there when they stopped letting me use money orders. I don't do paypal, don't want to so I quit using the place all together. To be honest, I haven't really missed it that much either.
    SPark

Kan Kustom likes this.

5. Is,nt that where you get your money only after the parcel tracking number has been verified as delivered and the buyer has done feedback ? If the buyer is slack you still get your money after about 24 days. Ebay does that here. Simply said, they park your money.

6. Andy

Andy

Fishing scam?

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Any time you have to call something an "experience" you are spinning.

They chased me off as a seller several years ago. Sounds like they are driving the final nails into my buying "experience".

Kan Kustom likes this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's legit Andy. I read the same thing on an article in my news feed at lunch.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Checks in the mail!

wvenfield likes this.
  10. leon bee

leon bee

I don't like ebay, but I've put countless vintage motorcycles and several cars back on the road using it. Living way out in the sticks, how else would I do it. I'll probably just go along, but it's been a while since I sold anything there. I'll be prepared to get pissed off.

stillrunners likes this.
  11. oldolds

oldolds

Funny how they spent all that time and effort getting us trained to use and kinda trust Paypal, now they come up with another system we never heard of and want us to use it. Somebody figured out a way to cheat the government because the government made them split from Paypal.

12. GTS225

GTS225

I still shop on Ebay, and everything I've bought was paid for with a USPS money order. Been using them since Ebay was still "allowing" sellers to accept them. I just message the seller and ask if they'd be willing to do business with a buyer that pays exclusively with USPS money orders.
    Generally, I get about a 75% approval rate from sellers. It might help that all my feedback is quite good, especially concerning speed of payment.

Roger

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I believe Adyen is in the Neatherlands. It is not a U.S. company.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. work in progress.....ETA.....around 2021 did it say ?

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ebay and PayPal split the sheets four or five years ago. This was done to enhance PayPal's value for a potential stock offering.

Vanness likes this.
  16. hotrod428

hotrod428

I don't have any problems with Paypal, it's the 10% fee that Ebay charges. They also make 10% on your shipping charges if you include it in your price.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Maybe it's a hybrid escrow service?

Agreed it's tough to figure out what the hell anybody is talking about sometimes. Usually phoney bologna plastic banana BS, weasel words and nonsense corporate-speak "leveraging our synergies" etc. Buncha damn crooks mostly.

If you haven't noticed.

blowby likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am curious as to how you think they would make enough money to continue operating if they did not do this.

The people that it takes to make this technology work get paid six-figure salaries, and have to live in the most expensive area in the US. Neither the business, nor the employees can be relocated. The hardware, connections, data center real estate, and utility costs are astronomical.

Both PayPal and eBay are located in Silicon Valley.

eBay coders start at $140k. With the benefits package, we are talking a combined $230-240k annual cost, per person. They have 12,600 employees. That is just direct-hire payroll. That does not include outside staff, which is easily three times the permanent staff.

PayPal coders start at $150k. With the benefits package, we are talking a combined $240-250k annual cost, per person. They have 20,000 employees. That is just direct-hire payroll. That does not include outside staff, which is easily double the permanent staff.

Office space here is over $130/square foot, annually.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Vanness

Vanness

Wow. Great Info there. Been using eBay since college. Feedback of 100% 800 plus. The fees Stink as you all noted, but the protection on is nice and it’s easy to shop from your couch. Esp after some cocktails. So. The little extra you pay equals convience. I primarily buy but also sell.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  20. GTS225

GTS225

I assume you meant "protection" there. You have protection with USPS money orders, too.
    If I send a phony postal m/o to a seller, I open myself up to felony counterfeiting and mail fraud charges. If the seller doesn't send the product that I purchased, the same goes for them, in fraud charges. To my way of thinking, that alone is motivation to go about the deal in an honest manner.

Roger

Kan Kustom likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The baseline answer that I have to give, and that seems to astonish most people who ask: "How come company X charges Y for product or service Z?"

is: "They charge Y because company X is a publicly traded, for-profit corporation that has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to produce the maximum possible dividend, after clearing overhead, and not a worker-owned, not-for-profit, operating on third-party donations, dispensing its goods and/or services, for free."

Hnstray likes this.
  22. hotrod428

hotrod428

23. BJR

BJR

Just remember, 86.5% of all facts are made up on the spot!

24. Vanness

Vanness

Perfect example. Go look at classifieds on this site. Great, flathead intake 450 plus shipping. Ok. I like it. Get a money order for 450 plus 24 shipping. Send it... seller never ships or even better sends a package with tracking of junk (as proof of shipment). Have fun with that, no money, no product, no way are you going to drive and find this person etc. eBay made that a little easier, though still a process for money back - you have a little more piece of mind ...hence the fees etc.
    I am not saying this happened to me, but know it happens daily on forums, other sites, classifieds.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can cite a source for all of my statistics.

The pay scales come from: https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
    The real estate prices come from: https://www.bloomberg.com/

If you care to dispute anything that I say, I can provide whatever measure of quantifiable proof that it will take to convince you.

I don't ever make anything up.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Vanness

Vanness

No need to cite sources, it’s not a report. And I believe you for the record :)

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty good explanation here. https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement

Looks like a different option to pay that may save some of us a few bucks in the long run. It may mean that some sellers that don't want to pay fees for the monetary exchange won't be using Ebay anymore though as it looks like they are looking for more control over payments.
    As far as the Ebay fees, that is just the cost of doing business. Sometimes it is preferable to having people come to the house from a craigslist add or having to meet someone at the local mini mart so they don't come to your house. I like selling at swapmeets as I can turn around and spend the money I take in with another vendor for something I want and that is how my projects pretty well got paid for for years. Now though, a lot of what I have to sell is probably not going to sell at the local swap meets so Ebay extends my market.

Texas57 and Hnstray like this.
  28. BJR

BJR

"I can cite a source for all of my statistics."
    That was sarcasm, the 86.5% was a made up number.:D

29. I don't want an "experience".. I just want to buy & sell stuff, and pay as minimal fees as possible. They can keep the touchy-feely speak (customer experience, journeys, etc) crap.
    Simple Ebay formula - Buyer- we kiss your arse, you can do no wrong.
    Seller- you're an arse, you will pay for any deadbeat lying buyers,
    ham-fisted or theiving postal workers, late deliveries, etc. It's always
    your fault, so we will let the theif keep your item, and we will refund
    the buyer as well (who does this on a regular basis, and still does not get kicked off Ebay). Oh, and as a seller, you can't leave bad feedback for a buyer, so that other sellers are warned, and we will charge you commision for the sale AND the postage !

30. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Vanness likes this.