Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jim (Bluto), will do!

Dr. Simeone was a good acquaintance of my mom's old boss (orthopaedic surgeon), so we've only met a few times briefly, but each time, it's been an honor- he is quite the gentleman and very humble/down-to-earth!

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN FREDS FACE WHEN I STARTED SAYING THE THE STUTZ HAD GOOD "RECOVERY SKILLS" FROM BACKING IT DOWN INTO A CORNER IN A FULL FOUR-WHEELED DRIFT.
    DR FRED IS A REALLY GOOD GUY.

3. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

jenks.jpg
    So here is "Jenks" Denis Jenkinson some time after WWII with the Duesemberg crank belonging to the only
    suvivor of 7 cars made in 1927.

4. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

And here is the Duesemberg in its home today, Brooklands where I understand it is about the recive the original 8 Duesemberg power plant that Jenks saved many years back. !Hip hip hurray¡ Duesenberg.jpg

63fdsnr, jimdillon and Old Dawg like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"YES, I HAVE SOME BULK CRANKSHAFT STOCK HERE. JUST CUT OFF AS MUCH AS YOU NEED". :D

Old Dawg likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I did not know. I started reading this thread about 6 months ago....

Speedwrench likes this.
  7. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

I heard years ago that they were restoring this engine! So it is finally done? Brooklands is a magic place and I need to get back there now they have restored another part of the original circuit.

8. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

COULDN'T AFFORD THIS SORT OF STUFF IN A MILLION YEARS BUT WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS AND HEAR THE STORIES PLEASE BLUTO (I LOVE HEARING ALL OF THIS STUFF).

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

JENKS WAS AN OLD FRIEND
    AND VERY SHORT...... ANY CRANKSHAFT WOULD LOOK A BIT OUT OF SCALE NEXT TO HIM. ;-)

STEVE
    PLEASE NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR ABILITY OR DREAMS.
    I CAN STILL REMEMBER A DAY WHEN I HAD NO PAPER MONEY ONLY COINS IN MY POCKET AND A VERY BROKEN BACK WASN'T THAT LONG AGO. I JUST PICKED MYSELF UP. THAT'S THE STORY. KEEP YOUR HEART AND MIND OPEN AND FOLLOW BOTH ALWAYS.

Old Dawg and motoklas like this.
  10. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

BLUTO, TELL ME YOU HAVE A FIRE TRUCK?

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I DO PLAY WITH TRUCKS BUT SO FAR ONLY ONE EVER CAUGHT FIRE. I PUT THE FIRE OUT BEFORE THE ENTIRE THING BURNED TO THE GROUND

12. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Fuzzy Davidson circa 1926 Fuzzy 1926.jpg

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

WONDER JUST HOW MUCH THE PARKING TICKET COST HIM?

14. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

My best guess on a 1926 parking violation would be 8 bits, but the bigger question is how much that 183 Frontenac mill cost back then. Check out that goofy sheet metal intake manifold.

15. That "bugger" is cutting edge..LOOK! He's not only running a Miller carb; but the chassis is that of a "Cross-Spring" (transverse front)..That's a hot setup for dirt.

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

JOHN

YOU CAN SEE!

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

ZigZagZ likes this.
  18. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Might someone help me with this lovely photograph of Fred J.Wagner. Please. Race? Car? Date? fw.jpg

kurtis, ZigZagZ and motoklas like this.
  19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Charles, that image without a caption can be found in Wagner's book 'Saga of the Roaring Road'.
    If i was to guess, it could be Spencer Wishart's #2 Mercer at the 1914 Vanderbilt Cup.

20. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Ivan thanks for your kind information, yes, I picked up Saga of the Roaring Road at a Autojumble very cheap. Very interesting book. So yesterday I got to page 79 where it says:
    "To me, the name of Oldfield is associated with many pleasant memories ever since that day in 1900, when I made my New York debut as an automobile race starter at the Old Empire City track and gave Barney the checkerd flag of victory at the end of that unbelivable smashing mile race"

Is this true? Is this the Holy Grail of the Checkerd Flag? Hmmmm

kurtis likes this.
  21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

EVERY WIN HAS IT'S OWN STORY..... HOLY GRAIL? WELL THIS ISN'T BASEBALL CARD OR STAMP COLLECTING. IT'S COMPETITION: A BATTLE OF MEN AND MACHINES.

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

Saacha, I am not sure that it is the Holy Grail and he may have speaking in generalities. I believe Oldfields first ride was in the 999 of Henry Ford. The earliest that the 999 could have been tested was probably late summer of 1902. Not sure how much they competed with the car prior to the spring of 1903. Oldfield did drive a Winton Bullet to a win at the Old Empire Track but I thought that was in October of 1903. I also seem to remember the first use of the checkered flag was like 1906 but then there are stories that seem to contradict one another in the that regards (I believe).

As to the photo above I am not sure that it is Wishart's #2 as I thought the car he drove was a right drive-plus the picture is a bit fuzzy and I cannot ID it as is. It is possible that Kurtis is correct and the picture is flipped but I am not sure on that score.

kurtis likes this.
  23. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

The Holy Grail.

I guess for baseball card collectors it would be the Honus Wagner tobacco card. For stamp collectors it would be the inverted Jenny biplane.

What machine would you folks consider to be the Holy Grail of early automobile racing?

24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Miller 91" front wheel drive!!

Speedwrench likes this.
  25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALL EARLY.

MILLERS ARE KINDDA "LATE MODEL" TO SOME OF US HERE:)

26. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

IN DEFERENCE TO YOU BLUTO : THE 1911(+/-) FIAT THAT WAS RESTORED/RESSURECTED/RECONSTRUCTED IN A PREVIOUS THREAD SHOULD COUNT AS EARLY ENOUGH, I WOULD HOPE!!

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

DO PLEASE REMEMBER THAT A FIAT ISN'T A MILLER 91.

YOUR SO FICKLE:p

28. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

The John Christie 1905 car without a doubt.

WillyNilly likes this.
  29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Miller '122' rear-drive!!

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Looks like an early Duesenberg to me, but I can't place it. Notice the pit board in the background says "Marmon", so that limits the time frame pretty much to 1914 - '16.

And don't place too much weight into Pop's "memoires" - they are mostly tall tales from the rocking chair...

kurtis likes this.