Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help from paint guy. Piss yellow??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Grm5959, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Grm5959

Grm5959

so I'm doing a lot of research on the color for Milners coupe. There was no canary yellow available at the time of the movie. Many claim it's a DuPont code 5248. Transferring that to ppg comes up with a few yellows which don't match the DuPont paint. I'm totally confused. Was told ppg code is 83849. Can't find anything about that color on the web. Also was told 81437 but that color is way off. Any other ideas or a way to locate 83849 to check it out?
    Thanks for any help.

4barrel likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Seeing that the coupes actual purpose is that of a prop for the movie and built as such. It probably is a yellow of piss from a toilet at the stadium after a ball game. In other words the studio probably mixed a little of this color with some of that color and there is no real record of the color at all. Then there is this......"the car was put back on the trailer and taken to Orlandi’s body shop in nearby San Rafael for its coat of Canary Yellow lacquer paint." Hot Rod Network

Dr. Greg and scott34 like this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

Ask the guy at the paint store to see the fleet color book. There will be at least 2 pages of yellows. Take your samples that are wrong and your favorite pic of the car. You will get close. Be sure to look at the colors outside and under lights.

4. TERPU

TERPU

Yellow, you need Tony Danza Yellow. Much more refined.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I heard it a mix of piss yellow and puke green , but that came from a guy drivin a field car !

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may find that the toners used in the early '70's are no longer available, and it would not surprise me if that car was actually painted shelf yellow.

7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Try a fleet color. IIRC, '68 Fruehauft (sp?) yellow is very close to the AG coupe yellow. Maybe better/brighter. I used it on my '32 Ford 5w, over a light grey or white primer, can't remember. At the time, it was the brightest, most intense yellow(non-custom; read: big bucks) I could find. Somewhere I do have the info, but that is currently "hidden" too. :D . It's only been ~ 40+ years... :D .
    HTH.
    Marcus...

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Looking at the 25th anniversary issue of Rod and Custom it says the paint is a centari (sp) enamel mixed from a corvette yellow by Orlandi's so i would try and find a paint code for yellows that went on Corvettes back then.
    s-l1600 (3).jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Tickety Boo, swade41 and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Agree on the Corvette Yellow. Seems 1970 Daytona Yellow (Corvette only) is a very "canary yellow" if memory serves.

wheeldog57, Roadsir and Speed Gems like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Daytona yellow was also used in '69 on the Camaro and Vette....

Speed Gems likes this.
  11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Did you ask Ed or Chris?
    SPark

12. The car was painted in '73. That color may very well have been available but in '62 or in '73 the pant very well may have been custom mixed, either by the painter or the paint store. Not everyone buys their suit off the rack.

Find a good pic of the car and take it to the paint store, let them scan it with their paint dealy and mix it.

13. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would think the exact shade of piss yellow depends on how dehydrated you are. ;)

czuch, gimpyshotrods, weps and 5 others like this.
  14. Pick one that you like. As long as you don't plan to park next to the real one no one will know.

czuch likes this.
  15. Or paint it blue and say "I like this color.":eek:o_O:rolleyes:

31hotrodguy, tfeverfred and czuch like this.
  16. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Don't you mean Tony Nancy Yellow

czuch, Dr. Greg, 51 BIRD and 2 others like this.
  17. 56shoebox

56shoebox

51 BIRD, Johnny Gee and wraymen like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or what brand of beer you drink.
    Put all 453 of those Grafitti coupes in a field together and you will get 350 shades of yellow, all claiming to be the right yellow. Maybe Goodguys should have a Grafitti coupe clone class and settle the issue. It might be as entertaining as going to a Corvette Restorer's or Mustang restorer's Meet where they can get down to the proper diameter of the piston gear shift knob and the proper drop for the radiator shell from the cowl along with the arguing who has the correct shade of piss yellow. .

Automotive Stud and da34guy like this.
  19. Grm5959

Grm5959

Ed uses a DuPont code. There are several cross references to ppg. Mixed up a few and they don't match eds color. Going away on vacation. I will contact eds paint supplier when I get back.

20. Greasyman

Greasyman

What color is piss yellow any way? Personally, my piss color varies quite radically, from a deep, rich golden hue, to almost clear. Can't you just take a leak in a bottle and bring it to the paint shop to get it matched? If it's the color of your piss, it's officially piss yellow.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure the use of "piss yellow" was a joke. That being the case, any bright shade of yellow would be fine for your car. gees......

czuch likes this.
  22. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

I HAVE A 38 NASH HOTROD I HAD PAINTED THE BRIGHTES YELLOW I COULD FIND , CALLED COMPETION YELLOW CENTRAI I THINK ,G.M. CODE STILL HAVE THE CODE IF YOU NEED IT? ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO ,STILL HAVE IT THE PAINT STILL LOOKS GOOD AND STOOD UP VERY WELL OTHER THAN SOME SCRATCHES.

23. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Said by none other than Tony Nancy

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Dude, stop yelling.......

26. Grm5959

Grm5959

Trying to match to a color yellow that has already been used on the car. Guess I will use the DuPont code as the ppg cross reference color doesn't match.

27. I think piss yellow is actually a candy color.........

28. 56shoebox

56shoebox

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

CANARY YELLOW?! I was boating in the toilet when suddenly "I tawt I taw a putty tat" above me. [​IMG]

30. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

DuPont is now known as Axalta. Centari is history. As others have said look at commercial colors in current paint
    technology.
    Scanning only searches EXISTING formulas for the closest match. It does not create color formulas.
    Welcome to the modern paint world.