Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest To Patch or not to Patch. How do some of you lead or guide your clubs as president

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Jan 31, 2018.

1. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

As some of you know i started a car club in my area in 2016. there are five founders ( myself one of them) we have our logo and jackets done but we are ironing out the details for rules and regulations. we have a few basics but I'm curious from other H.A.M.B guys or gal's. what are some of your rules, regulations, ways of operating or ways of dealing with those who go against the code. A few ideas would help because i would like this Car club to last for generations not just with those who founded it. any advice will help thanks

jakespeed63 likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dealing with those who 'break the code'? Tie 'em to the rear bumper. Drag 'em...

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

One code I taught the members....behave your self while wearing you jacket, I don’t want to get punched because you were a drunk ahole in our club jacket

4. The Vipers' Rules:
    No meetings
    No dues
    No rules
    Everyone's the president...

Works for us.

5. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Love that movie and that Merc too

6. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I mean we are all laid back and no one has an ego and we like to keep it that way.

7. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I guess the same would go for any shirts too??. and one thing we don't promote is drinking and driving we are very much against that

nochop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. .................That's all great as long as there are only 5 of you.

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

In our club, if you fail to do a club duty (El Mirage patrol) you get a letter telling you byby.
    That doesn't sound so bad,,,,
    Then at the next Board meeting, you mention so-and-so has been dropped from the club in bad standing, where upon Mr/Mrs So-And-So will not be allowed to join any other club, so no more racing at El Mirage.

Chili Phil and Slowjoe like this.
  10. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

we plan on expanding to a few more members. So your saying sometimes less is more??

11. ............Yep.....Be selective 'cause all it takes is one ass-hole to screw things up for the whole club.

12. That's how our club has done it for the last 16 years! I'm one of the founding members. The only requirement if you want to be a member and we let you in you have to buy a club jacket, that's it! Never had any problems, if we have a get together or we go somewhere the club members pay their own way. Our so called meetings are usually a friday night "social" BYOB we just BS about everything and anything!

Texas57 likes this.
  13. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

we have a strict rule as far as new members go and that is they have to wait a year to two years before even being allowed in they have to prove themselves physically, and mentally and we all have to trust him and get along or try too

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

we do have that as part of a requirement they must buy there own jacket but i will consider adding the BYOB social nights too,

16. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

One rule that i'm gonna suggest to the guys soon is respect another members wife or family. any member harassing another members family or caught sleeping with another members wife or girl is immediately out anybody else think this is a good rule or sound a bit too personal for a laid back car club..

17. We only let in people/friends we have known for awhile "hang arounds" so to speak. Our club is 1959 and older vehicles. The get togethers we have usually are at a different members shop we try and rotate so we can check out the progress on everyones projects. Lately that been lacking though!

18. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

X2 Chilli Phil. Same rules as Deacons Canada

LilBlue82 likes this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

One thing you don't want done is to have one of your own rules violated by a liar. Case in point...Rule is that all cars must be built from the ground up...a founding member has to lie about his rod and say that be built it when he bought it....It happened.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  20. Ain't there enough rules?

Hombre, flatford39, scotty t and 11 others like this.
  21. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I have been a member of the "un-club" for about 15 years or so. Loose knit group of gear heads of all ages but mostly over 50. No rules , no meetings, $5 a year dues get you on a mailing list of club activites. Anyone can organize an event. We have a club pot luck a couple times a year. I think you will find that the less structure you have the better. Most of us are older and wiser and we police our own. The ones that "don't fit" kinda take care of themselves over time. They will go onto other things. We are family orientated and anyone is welcome. Can't remember who said it but the quote goes " I wouldn't be a part of any club that would have ME as a member".

22. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I can't to the whole club thing. I just can't. So I vote for no patch.

I can't take someone's drama and beef on my plate or someone trying to act brave because of #'s.

I've seen clubs turn into gangs with my own eyes.

Clubs are a target for thiefs.

All you need is one Judas.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39, papadaddio and lilmann like this.
  23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Rule number 43, don't complain about how many rules we have. Lol

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Groucho Marx..... LOL.

It all depends on where you decide to go with your 'club'. There can be legal issues involved, some involving liability, so be careful. As long as it's 'no meetings, no dues, no rules' and I'd add 'no events' to that list, you'll be ok. Step outside of that, and it can get complicated fast.

FWIW, I belong to a club where the previous administration believed in minimal rules, and it's caused us all sorts of problems. I'm in the process right now of trying to address this with a new set of bylaws and it ain't easy (I was the only one to volunteer to look at them). But one thing we've always done (at least since I've been a member) is carry an insurance policy for all club 'activities', whether it's a show open to the public or a strictly club member event but held in a public space (and this can include cruises).

Imagine this; you're out on a cruise, everybody is wearing their club 'colors' or are otherwise identifiable as 'club' members and somebody runs over a civilian. These days, any lawyer worth his salt will name any and all persons and organizations even tangentially involved as a respondent as a matter of course. Just like that, you're a named party to a lawsuit, maybe even if you weren't even there.... It's sad, but that's the world we live now...

6-bangertim and deucemac like this.
  25. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Iam not sure I want to belong to a club that would have me as a member

prewarcars4me likes this.
  26. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

No kneeling during the National Anthem.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

27. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

After reading all of this I can see I don't belong in a car club.
    Pete

Droopydogg, RMONTY, Hombre and 16 others like this.
  28. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

man... didn't know that sitting/driving around and talking about cars with your friends could get so damned dicey... they even come with seats.... what do you need other than a flat spot to park on and a place to piss?

I have a feeling i'm missing part of the CC idealism, because it sounds like a good way to fuck up free lunch, if you know what I mean.

scotty t likes this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Seriously? I thought joining a car club was all about hooking up with fellow members' "Old Ladies". But I guess it all depends on how "laid back" your car club is.....:cool:

Jay71, prewarcars4me and Special Ed like this.
  30. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Sounds like "sons of anarchy "