Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model AV8 planning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Closenough, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Closenough

Closenough

Thanks in advance guys, I've read for hours and have absorbed a TON of knowledge, however I'm looking for info on a specific swap. I recently purchase a 29 RDPU with outstanding patina (PURE oil gas station service truck) I have an 8AB / S10 T5 set up I want to run & convert to juice brakes. Any insight to this swap is greatly appreciated.

Vanness and spurgeonforge like this.
  2. The easiest swap is F1 brakes. I guess if you had access to '40 Ford or Lincoln brakes that is a pretty easy swap too.

What axles are you going to run? That makes a big difference in how and what you use.

Vern Tardel has a book out that would be a big help, its kind of an A V-8 bible.

3. Closenough

Closenough

4. Closenough

Closenough

I've been told an S10 4x4 rear axle fits perfectly soooo had planned on using it

5. trey32

trey32

It looks like it's got forty Ford wheels on it, probably got the brakes too...

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You been hanging down at the corner pop shop again? Those spit and whittle boys think S-10 stuff is the cure all for everything.
    S-10 rear fits ok but if you are doing up a proper A-V8 it isn't the most desirable and you can't run the wheels that most of us run on an A-V8 with it. S-10 rear requires Chevy bolt pattern wheels or adapters. to run wheels that match the front wheels.

To go back to the original plan we have to ask what transmission you plan to run an how you plan to set up the whole rig. Your choice of transmission has a lot to do with what rear axle you run.

56longroof, porknbeaner and X38 like this.
  7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

as much as everyone says the T5 makes the flathead nice to drive, I just can't get behind the idea of an Av8 with one in it. the recipe for an Av8 has always been pretty simple to me.
    flathead V8, 39 transmission, 35-48 banjo closed drive rear with 40-48 ford juice brakes.

once you start down the slippery slope of newfangled chebby parts where do you stop.... are all flathead powered model A's Av8's.

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm building a 30 coupe with a flathead and mocked it up with an S10 5 speed and rear end but went back to closed driveline. The shifter was too close to the seat and the rear end needed about an inch spacer on each side to get the right width. I had all the flathead pieces so wasn't a big problem to go either way. I have a 4" dropped axle, split wishbones, 37 spindles and 40 brakes 56 F1 steering an 8BA flathead with a 40 pickup trans. I have a 3:70 S10 posi with mounts for a Model A rear spring and 1" spacers standing in the corner of the garage along with an adapter for the S10 5 speed to a flathead. The 5 speed will probably be more drivable but I put 3:56 rear gears in it.

Attached Files:

9. IronTrap

IronTrap

That thing is real cool! What's the story with the truck next to it?

As others mentioned. Save yourself the hassle and keep the truck nostalgic with period ford parts. The hassle and cost associated to make the s10 stuff jive isn't always worth it for a Flathead. Shop around for a later banjo rear with 3.78 or 3.54 gears. With slightly larger rear tires you can keep up with traffic and go more than fast enough to overcome the stopping power of the vehicle at those speeds. This truck has the look, would really cool with a period AV8 swap!

dwollam and spurgeonforge like this.
  10. As much as I love flatties coupled to five speeds, and my avatar is one of them, the look of this truck screams all Ford, traditional AV8 setup. But hey, this is your build and I for one would love to see it back on the road in whatever way you decide .....

11. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I agree with irontrap... that truck is pretty dang cool as it sits. keeping it as close to a period look would be awesome. install a 32 k member, 32 axle and bones. 40's brakes 39 pedals and a banjo if it doesn't have one already.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  12. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Nice pickup, Vern tardel has a new book out called How to Hotrod your model A. Good book.

13. Closenough

Closenough

The wire wheel in the bed is on the other three

14. Closenough

Closenough

As stated in the original post I plan to run 8AB and T5 trans. Truck is currently completely original

15. Closenough

Closenough

I'm hearing everyone load and clear "stay traditional" and I like how that sounds! With that said why wouldn't I just rebuild the banger, upgrade brakes and get my grin on?

lowroller1, cactus1 and IronTrap like this.
  16. Either way, V8 or banger, would be cool !

17. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

v8 or banger are more personal choices.. you know how some guys are suckers for some nice gams and others like bright pair of headlights!

you said Av8, so that's the route I would go. completely different animals between the two cars. after having the lope of a flathead V8 I couldn't live with a banger!

18. Now that depends on who you ask, some fellas will tell you that they can only be an A roadster. The real question becomes if you are building a gennie *30s style A V8 can you still use an 8BA.

*'30s was when they started building 'em they were still building 'em into the '50s.

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Well... mine is... on all fronts! lol.
    28 roadster with rumble seat
    8ba
    39 trans
    48 rear
    42-48 brakes
    32 axle and wishbone
    32 front and k member
    extended frame with small kickup
    f100 steering box
    steelies with WWW 600x16 fronts and 8.20 16's out back

that's my view on a "late" version of an Av8

walter likes this.
  20. Personally speaking an 8BA flathead is not an engine to be found in a traditional car.

And a pic of my 29 RPU AV8 Chassis...

Attached Files:

21. Man that's a neat truck! Any more pics????

22. Closenough

Closenough

The other truck is a 34 Ford, was driven and parked there. Both trucks have been in this "shed" since 1972! It took me 2 yrs to wrestle the RDPU from the guy. I'm still working on the 34.

Searching my parts I find a 3 speed trans "rebuilt w/ zephyr gears" that came with a 41' I purchased. I assume this will bolt to my 8BA?

23. If you already have a 3-speed with Zephr gears that really seals the drivetrain for an AV8. Perfect!
    I am looking forward to watching this come together ....

24. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

if it is a "1941" transmission it will be a side shift. generally you want a top shift box for a car like this. the gears are the same though. you need a good top shift case and the correct late style top shifter if it is indeed a side shift. it will bolt up to an 8ba (either one the patterns are the same) with a intermediate bellhousing off of a pickup that came with an 8ba or a 49-53 mercury.
    pickup adapter is cast iron and the mercury unit is stamped steel. I like the weight savings of the merc myself if you can find it.

25. Closenough

Closenough

Didn't think about it being a side shift, bummer. I do however have the merc stamped steal bell housing.

26. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

the gears are the expensive part. its really easy to swap them over to a top shift box. you don't happen to have any 1940-48 pickup 3speed open drive transmissions do you?? if you take the gears out of the 41 box they go right in the pickup box. the pickup rear mount is specific to open drive but depending on the build style you may be changing the rear mount anyway. I used a 32 mount and center crossmember. some guys make their own and use the later style mounts like the 41 would have.

27. Closenough

Closenough

I'm sure like many I've had every part I need to do the AV8 swap but let them go at one time or another not knowing I would end up here needing them.. lol

28. DRIVE EM OR JUST LOOK AT EM?
    We've got three flathed V8 powered cars. They've all been driven as daily drivers.

Two have original three speeds and came to us that way. But the one car we built from scratch is given a T5. There's no hard choice here. T5 is the way to go. Especially if it's meant to be driven and not just looked at.

Further support is our 49 shoebox. It's a three on the tree but with over drive. Also a sweet combo.

29. bct

bct

30. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio