Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who Else Out There Owns a Chev Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here is some of the info from the eBay listing and an old picture with the track nose. The body was misidentified as a '28 way back then.
    1. Background: (Based on previous owners’ notes, information and historical documents)

This car was originally built and owned by Californians William “Wild Bill” Souza and Manuel Canto and was campaigned in the 40’s and early 50’s as the Golden State Radiator Special. It supposedly ran at several ovals in northern and southern California, including the Oakland 5/8 mile track (see photos!!!!). In addition, historians believe it also ran at the dry lakes where it was featured at the 1997 Muroc Reunion after its restoration. It has remained in its center-seat configuration as last run in the 40’s and 50’s. We still have the original rear tires and wheels which where on the car when we got it and go with the car.

The car was found by a California collector in 1993 wearing its original blue body color and silver frame. Remnants of the Golden State Radiator lettering still adorned the car. When found, the car was missing its original track nose and a 1932 Ford grill shell, which were used frequently during the late 40’s and early fifties, was added to the car in its 1993/1994 restoration. In 2013, I acquired the car from the collector who found the car in 1993, sold it in 2014 and I reacquired the old girl in 2015 specifically to apply to run her in The Race of Gentlemen event.
      [​IMG]

HRK-hotrods and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Gilco33

Gilco33

Does anybody have a 23-26 Chev. grill shell they can part with? (prefer 23-24) Thanks , Jim

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This needs to go around again. I've seen some TROG pictures with Chevy roadsters. Maybe some more will show up.

Countn'Carbs likes this.
  4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Deadlast Chevy.jpg
    Ask and you shall receive. This one is all Ford Model A other than the body, unfortunately, but it looks cool.

bct, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Gilco33

Gilco33

Starting to put my 25 Chev. roadster in a pile....wanting to start building the steel body framing. Question: I know the width of the body at the rear of the cowl is 37.5 inches and the body width at the beginning of the trunk area is 45 inches from a sketch I saw on the site....does anyone have a body width measurement at the rear of the door/beginning of the rear quarter? Thanks in advance, Jim

6. Gilco33

Gilco33

Chev roadster.png Chev. Stuff!!!

Tim, Okie Pete, cadillacoffin and 7 others like this.
  7. bct- sounds alot like the '27 sheetmetal I'm hoarding up in the loft, but mine will be an rpu... with a 153 (and a mercruiser head) :D

Gilco- that's a fantastic start!

bct likes this.
  8. Dont know how i ever missed this thread.......subscribed

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Gilco, I'd like to see lots of pictures as you go. What nose piece is that?

10. Jim, I measured the bottom of my roadster body as best I could, door jam/beginning of the rear quarter the bottom measures 38.5". Top measures 43".

11. Gilco33

Gilco33

Hello Six Ball, The nose is going to be my homemade version of the S/G roadster track nose,(in steel)....I have it roughed out using a 23/4 Chevy grill as a starting point so It will be easy to use my stock hood...

12. Gilco33

Gilco33

Thanks much Jim, as my roadster body was totally apart when I got it I'm happy to have some reference points .... and I'm sure a lot of it is what " looks good to the eye" ... I may get to building it this year if I can get my house remodeling done!

13. Gilco33

Gilco33

Thanks Mac!

14. Happy to help, the measurements are very close to stock. Before I did the body structure I asked a restorer to measure his restored roadster.

15. Gilco33

Gilco33

16. Gilco33

Gilco33

17. Gilco33

Gilco33

Is it normal for an old hot rodder to start his car project by chopping the windshield? (Couldn't resist it!)

Tim, Jimmy B and bct like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That looks nice. I was wondering which parts of mine to use. :D
    Did you narrow the Body? I haven't tried to put my pieces on the frame yet. I thought it was wider than the frame.

19. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

My 32.....:) 2C26E16C-4857-4152-908C-FE9A51FFB403.jpeg 7C5F57A1-4C6B-4745-B211-8C8A4B49D22B.jpeg 34B5688D-B9A3-4C76-B014-9E3380955150.jpeg 21D4E1DD-2453-44C4-9319-539902255A8D.jpeg

Okie Pete, Jimmy B and TFoch like this.
  20. Question? In 1981 @ Columbus NSRA NATS. I believe EMS Body Company made a all Steel 1932 Chevy Roadster & Roadster Pickup, Full Fenders, Grill Shell, Dash, Running Boards, hood, Doors, Trunk Lid, Gas Tank Cover, Front Splash Pan, windshield Stanton. For The Roadster Pickup, All Steel Body & Bed. Both Bodies had No Wood, but Plastic Body Injection Mold Body Support Panels. I'm still very much impressed with those 2 Steel Body's. What ever became of those Chevy Roadster that were Built? How many Body's were Stamped (50?) & How many were Finished built Roadster's? Do Ya'll Remember Tex Smith 1933 Chevy Roadster? I think it had a Inline 6-Cylinder engine?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    PBRmeASAP likes this.
  21. Gilco33

Gilco33

Thanks for your comments, I didn't narrow the body , My plan is to shape the frame to match the body, so I cut out all cross members and moved the rails to the outside ....... ( I got this frame in a trade ....it was built into a BOAT TRAILER! ....not sure exactly what it is, but it almost exactly fits the lower body shape of the Chev roadster!)

Six Ball likes this.
  22. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Wow! Yors looks awsome!,You give me hope, not sure yet its gonna be awhile before i start on it. I dont have alot of hope of finding doors and quarters....
    32 chevy roadster metal seems like hens teeth, but i got nothin but time to search so we’ll see.
    If i can find at least doors i might do a modified, if i cant find anything might do somethin wild and crazy ;)

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks! My frame too matches the lines of the lower body and I was thinking of matching them up. I don't want to channel it. Making the frame wider could provide a little more room inside the car for seats, tank and trunk. I'm thinking of using rear suspension similar to the old racer in the picture mounted inside the rails or quarter elliptics. Trying to stay with old tech and away from Ford. I need to get the body together so I can take measurements and get on with it.
    Broadmoor Special in 1926.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    grumpy32 likes this.
  24. Gilco33

Gilco33

Yes, We are thinking alike.... By setting the body on top of the frame I was thinking I could add extra "depth" to the seating area and also make it have the "belly pan" look , ( I will keep you posted as I go on the difficulty of making the frame match the lower body)........... yes, I understand wanting to use non Ford chassis parts, that rear suspension would be cool... I'm trying to stay somewhat with the theme of the S/G car ....thus the Ford wishbones..... ( I can claim I had to "sacrifice" an old Ford to build the Chev. ) ...Lol

Six Ball likes this.
  25. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Couldn't find one so I built my own.

Attached Files:

26. r2c1

r2c1

27 Chev Roadster...... Started with stock 27 frame and wanted a non fendered car, so modified the frame to follow body lines. Modifications. Pinched front rails, continued pie cut of front frame rails to cowl,(cowl was moved back to accommodate BBC "didn't do it used a 327 SBC", moved frame rails out at body, Rear was kicked up 3" and extended 3", 1-1/4" cross members added,none are butt welded, boxing plate was drilled so tubing was inserted then welded, frame was plated inside with 3/16" plate and boxed with 3/16" plate. This picture was before it was completed. A couple pictures.. Oh and the car was narrowed 3" except for cowl. Ron Sorry for all 000_1085 (2016_11_26 05_14_26 UTC).jpg IMG_0649 (2016_11_26 05_14_26 UTC).JPG the junk in the pictures,

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very nice, I stole some of your pictures for my files a while back. I'd like to see more of your front suspension. Mine won't be really low but I have clearance issues on my 2 mile dirt road. Some are being addressed with my tractor and Gannon box. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    tractorguy likes this.
  28. r2c1

r2c1

Six Ball.... Thanks IMG_1190 (2016_11_26 05_14_26 UTC).JPG IMG_1192 (2016_11_26 05_14_26 UTC).JPG I didn't use shackles. I am using sliders with 5/8" s/s pins in Delrin. Pictures show rear spring eye mount on front spring . Block of Delrin goes in frame and in box on outside mount. Delrin has slots cut into them for the pin to slide. Hole is to install the pin. No way my car will get to my house. Sure could use that tractor and blade at my place, not only very rocky but steep.

mgtstumpy and Okie Pete like this.