Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Great weekend in Pigeon Forge - we looked everywhere and there are no pigeons in the forge. It was an awesome event - hate that some racers couldn't make it. Higgy was pinging with TXTs and wanted to know what was happening. He won an award and Quain accepted it for him - that had a video of a killer Henry J doing wheelies and it was oooo'd and aahhhhh'd - missed you man!

IMG_0434.JPG
    It was just a fun review of 2017 and a look ahead at 2018. We have been in racer starvation mode so it was good to see everyone and catch up. Hard to believe there wasn't any shenanigans at the hotel with this group.

Here's some random shots - no particular order -

IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG View attachment 3789163 IMG_0453.JPG IMG_0456.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0465.JPG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0471.JPG View attachment 3789174

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. allwilly

allwilly

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  3. savannahDan

savannahDan

Dang Tony, you're such a swanky dresser!

I see those Holley and Mallory logos on the SEGA banners...did they come on as series sponsors?

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. You look like the third Blues Brother. LOL!

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  5. Gabriel and Donovan spent hours and hours smoothing and painting these valve covers for a trophy to give Quain. We wanted something big enough for all the racers to sign so a SBC valve cover was off the list. They had them all set to go about 10pm Friday night and then ......

IMG_0488[1].JPG

IMG_3815[1].JPG

Garbiel decided a little oven time wouldn't hurt
    IMG_3816[1].JPG

That was a disaster - everything popped and cracked ! He had them fixed by 4am so no harm no foul

6. Working on it! RacePak sponsored the banquet so that was a huge deal!

As always you need to watch those Sockfuckers .....
    IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0458.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for sharing, looks like a great time. Was that a can of smoke?! Hope the Missus is on the mend. Good Luck in 2018, Carp.

Fiddle Picker, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  8. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Wish I could have made it!! Working weekends pays for parts. I'll see all you guys soon enough!!(75 days, but who's counting!)

Fiddle Picker, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  9. Yeah - same smoke they use at concerts - I was implying that my days for spraying the pits for bugs are over. Of course there were folks holding babies on the front row :confused: had to issue a "trust me its not Raid" statement. Just having a good laugh. It was a great event and no stress of fixing your car or cooling down between rounds.

Yeah we all sat in silence while you video played and Quain held your trophy - I suppose he still has it.

No comments on the 417 Donovan block in the first pic ;)

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looked at the block, but didn't know for sure what it was. What's the story on that?

11. Well its a 1972 Donovan wet block. It came up for sale and I jumped on it, but then later - called Donovan and Darton Sleeves about the water sealing. Pretty much the consensus is that this will not seal water. Thought about just running water in the heads, but at this point, I'm going to post it for sale in to someone running alky or nitro.

IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0504.JPG

12. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Glad to see you keep photo evidence of all your fuckery! Took me about a week to notice the sticker on my fog light! I'm fairly certain you've stuck a sticker on everything i own at this point

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^ The Sticker Stalker strikes again:eek::D:cool:

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Way to go Toe Nee, congrats.
    What no Dolly sightings!

Fiddle Picker and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. Keep looking :D

Finally got the block back from Johnny last week. It was forecast to rain for days so it seemed like a good way to spend a weekend. Kim's finally over the hump - 2 surgeries and 9 weeks in an arm sling. Don't want to do that ever again.

So I go to Johnny's and damn if @Cabbage isn't up there fondling the block.
    IMG_0548.JPG

After washing and wiping cylinders for several hours, I wanted to change this intermediate shaft bushing for 2 seasons and finally did it. Nifty tool - the bushing actually gets smaller after pounding it in and this tool reams it on the way out.
    IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

Next onto the file fit rings
    IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG

402BOSSMAN, Floater03, Tudor and 7 others like this.
  16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You might want to make sure Cabbage wasn't honing one of those cylinders. That is what it looks like he was doing in the picture. :)

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

From the facial expression it sorta looks like he's about to pop his rocks:confused::eek::rolleyes:

18. jim snow

jim snow

Glad to hear that the crew chief is doing better. My crew chief is also recovering from shoulder surgery. Snowman

19. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Is that a Costa Rican in the pic?! I have a friend on the hunt for some Reloba's as we speak!!

jim snow and loudbang like this.
  20. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean like this?

cigar (Medium).jpg

Dog_Patch, Higgy's Henry and loudbang like this.
  21. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

I was thinking more like this....but hey, smoke'um if ya got'um!!
    download.jpeg

22. Looked like Gollum when I opened the door
    precious.jpg

Its bad when they can't pick up anything - really find out how much we get away with when they are doing everything.

That's a sissy Drew Estate flavored one.

Damn where'd you get that? Higgy ruined me for life on cigars - even trying clove flavored crap now. I like my pipe but it won't stay lit.

Had to rob these parts for under the main cap to get the blower motor to the finals. The sleeve centers the main cap. The red thing is the oil bypass plug,

IMG_0595.JPG

If you run a gear drive, these need to be plugged. They are covered by the cam retainer plate on a stock setup. I drilled a 1/16" hole in these last season and it made an oily mess. One time I was working with the timing cover off and the oil shot out and hit the wall. Not drilling these anymore. Only one installed here.

IMG_0610.JPG

Drum roll - the new Arais designed piston and Molnar 7.1" rod
    IMG_0626.JPG

The guy at Arias said the smoke problem was piston rocking. This has more skirt and a bigger ring pack.
    IMG_0628.JPG

God almighty ! What a tank! But wait - the new piston and rod combo is 57 grams lighter than the last setup. We had to lighten the crank counter weights.

IMG_0113.JPG

Using this on the rings now
    IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG

Bolt gauge was showing that 80lbs was the right torque on these Monlar rods. Hard to take a pic like this - 85lbs was at the high end of the stretch. Think that pic is 85lbs.
    IMG_0609.JPG

Timing the cam
    IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Floater03, allwilly, racer-x and 9 others like this.
  23. Don't got em! Hey remember when you asked how much to balance a crank and I said depends on the amount of mallory?

This was like $500 worth of mallory - all the counter weight are full of it
    IMG_0599.JPG

Love this lube -
    IMG_0600.JPG

Then the @dusterdave173 thrust bearing trick - this works! I've torn down enough of these engines now where some were modified here and some were not - it works! Just file off the edge of the bearing to allow the oil to come back to the thrust face.

IMG_0602.JPG

Full schedule! 2018 !
    IMG_0647.JPG

24. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

LOL, you were right!! It cost me $550 Canadian(that's like $100 to you guys!!) but only needed 2 pieces of Mallory. Glad I'm running in D/G, I am on a tight budget!

25. savannahDan

savannahDan

those are some pretty parts Tony, looks like you might be making some noise soon

loudbang likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes Tony
    How's a guy gonna get anything done if he has to pick up his own skanky unders.:eek:

27. Damn Tony, you're SERIOUS about this stuff! I need a faster camera lens just to keep up with you going down the track. Lookin' Good...Going to WiN in '18.

28. I looked and Johnny charged $200 to remove weight to balance - which is still $1000 Canuk

I'll let you know when and you can ride over for the fun.

The sock drawer went empty - never saw that before - I kept saying "socks get in the drawer" nothing happened.

Need a driver - asking for a friend .

IMG_0605.JPG

29. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm looking forward to 5/5/18, can't wait to see how she sounds. Take good care of that crew chief.