Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 with no headlight bar

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jtbarnet, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jtbarnet

jtbarnet

Ok guys, this will be first set of pictures, I made pieces to strengthen the front fender supports. I made the gussets from stainless, TIG welded, and then cleaned up. I then made some brackets, from just 2” angle, bolted everything in place, welded and bolted to upper shock mount. I am going to fab pieces for headlights and bolt to inside of frame. Not going to going to mount headlights real low, but lower than dropped headlight bar. To my thinking, the fenders will be very well supported, and the headlights will not shake.....Next set of pictures will be supports for headlights.....hope you guys like....
    Jim[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Nice disc brakes.

cadillacoffin and 302GMC like this.
  3. pitman

pitman

Have made a few fender bkts to replace OEM items. The issue will be: can you strengthen the bracket enough, so all is stiff (enough)! An outer flange, extending from headline mt. Region Back down to the base would help. Have seen hi mile frames crack in the base mount area, the tie bar solved it for early designs.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. jtbarnet

jtbarnet

Thanks, they are straight from SoCal....their mid range set.....

5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I'm not sure that was a compliment!!

6. Is the frame boxed? can you make a plate fit on the back side of the frame area to help spread the load of the four bolts that hold the support to the frame?

7. pitman

pitman

Might consider a lesser diameter 'ovalized' tie rod. Stock fenders are big ears!

Hnstray and Atwater Mike like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^This. In spades...

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMO...the angle tabs only welded on one side will be subject to fatigue cracking. I think they need at least one more, if not both, sides gusseted to the fender brace.

Ray

10. jtbarnet

jtbarnet

Frame is already boxed, and the bolts are 1&1/2” long and thread almost width of frame......I guess the statement from other guy talking about disk brakes, was kinda a slam, tons of moisture in air, reason for surface rust....I am just a “old Hotroder” that does all his on work that takes all messages thinking they are helpful comments, or compliments.....haha...guess I need to read real well, and laugh at my self now and then....haha

dwollam, Just Gary and pitman like this.
  11. jtbarnet

jtbarnet

One other thing....remember, I am build separate brackets for headlights, so there will not be any weight from them on the fenders....guys I really appreciate all the tips.......a whole bunch of heads are a whole bunch better!!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You need some soft jaws for that vise. Tool marks, you know ....

13. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

You know there is a left and right!

14. Old GW

Old GW

here's my 32. 100_0975.JPG

15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

16. mount the bar and hang the lites under it?

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm curious as to how it works out.
    I'm building something for my self that has motorcycle type front fenders but the last thing I wanted was the headlights on stands.
    GW, I like the look.

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Probably going to be counter productive bolting to the shocks, those mounts move a lot ! Some people connect the two together with a light bar to add strength

19. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Could you use 33-34 brackets ? There strong enough to use since they don't need a headlight bar. You could mount them a little lower also

20. Old GW

Old GW

21. Old GW

Old GW

On the 32 I welded backing plates inside of the grill shell. drilled mounting holes at the height I wanted the lights.
    mounted the light housings in these holes. Turned the bulb 90 degrees. Works fine for me. 100_0975.JPG

22. e z i

e z i

Silly question on my part, I'm still learning. What's wrong with a headlight bar? Seems like alot of hassle ( to me), to eliminate a part that is essential to the fender structure of an old Ford, as well as pleasing to the eye..

23. willymakeit

willymakeit

Absolutely nothing. Everyone has a little different approach to what they like. For me I like the bars also but then you see something, maybe just 1 item on someone elses car and it trips your trigger. These little things set you apart not better or worse just your likes.

24. Anderson

Anderson

The way I’m looking at it, the “shock mount” is really just a tab that is tying the fender support into the existing F1 style shock mount. So now the shock mount helps support the fender, giving back the strength it lost losing the headlight bar. Looks like it’ll work from here.