Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage AMBR Results

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Jan 28, 2018.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

When do they announce the winner?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. redo32

redo32

I just checked their web site and awards are scheduled to start at 4:00 today. It will take a couple of hours to get down to AMBR. Somebody will post on here.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, you don't know until they call out the name and hand out the trophy. No note on the windshield ahead of time at GNRS.
    Awards start at 4 on Sunday afternoon but Take close to three hours before all is said and done.

4. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

It is usually known at about 22:00 E.S.T.

VR&C.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I know is after the last award you have 16 milliseconds to get your car out of the building.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Dave Martin = AMBR

7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

verde742 and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

Lots of people on Instagram weren't happy about this pick.. But, everybody's got an opinion..

flatheadpete and LuckySumbich like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, for good reason. That's an interesting car, but not in the same class as the Eddie Dye roadster. Wow, they blew the chance to give that car, and Circle City Hot Rods who restored it, the proper respect it deserved.

Fern 54, leadsled, cactus1 and 4 others like this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Agree 100%! With all the history of the dye car and then from the pics I saw of how it has been finished let alone the track nose, no comparison to the roadster that won. Bad choice period

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. LuckySumbich

LuckySumbich
    from Mesa, AZ

Kinda sad to see the lack of respect from a large majority of builders and so called "enthusiasts" within the hot rod and kustom scene. My pick didn't win either, doesn't make this one any less worthy. Figured that car would be getting completely trashed on here. A car doesn't have to be built in the 50's to be cool or a show winner, contrary to popular belief. If I'm wrong, not a lot of shit on here is all that cool. Nothing against the Dye car, but history doesn't make something a winner. The overall presentation and way in which it is being judged and what is being looked at and considered in all, makes the biggest difference in these sort of things.

Regardless of the nonsense, judges were on their game this year, with the caliber of cars that showed, I believe their choice is easily justified. Not just anything can win that award, takes some serious craftsmanship and attention to detail, rather you agree with the overall styling or not. You can look at any past winner in person and visibly see how it took the title. This one is no different in that respect. The Martin Special, I believe it's known as, looked stout in every photo I've seen of it so far. The presentation of the car looked very good as well, not many people pay enough attention to timing the wheels and knock offs and such when they set up their display. Well judged and picked I feel, even though it wasn't my personal favorite.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Dooley, Chili Phil, Andamo and 20 others like this.
  14. To all the fans of the Eddie Dye Roadster (me included) ... All is not lost ...

The Dye roadster's historical significance was well respected as @Deuce Bruce Meyer awarded it his prestigious “Hot Rod Preservation Award”.

It was also awarded “Outstanding Paint” (i.e., best paint among the AMBR contenders).

Congrats to Tom Bobowski (owner) ... Jimmy "@hemi coupe" White and his team at Circle City Hot Rods (restoration) ... Brandon Flaner & Aaron Groesbeck and their team at East Bay Speed & Custom (body & paint) ... Chris Plante at Plante Interiors (upholstery) ... Logan "@LQD" Davis at Vintage Performance Automotive (engine) ... @JeffreyJames (show display design) ... and all others involved with the restoration!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    The37Kid, LuckySumbich, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  15. nice change seeing folks upset/concerned that a "trad" styled car won
    very nice group of cars
    congrats to the winner

brad2v likes this.
  16. Thank you for posting.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Who trashed the car?????

Fitnessguy likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just cant get behind the whole Denver Bronco paint scheme. I think the (soon to be Vegas) Raiders paint pallet says hot rod to me, that is what all of my AMBR choices wore this year. Then again I am a Cowboys fan so I am used to getting it wrong.

270bob likes this.
  19. Pete

Pete

Looks like a speedway kit car.

fleet-master and 270bob like this.
  20. VonWegener

VonWegener

I wonder if the judge sheet even has a box to tick for History or looks. The Model A won just be cause it had better worksmanship me thinks.

21. LBCD

LBCD

Here are the guys who judged the AMBR[​IMG]

I believe a different set of judges might of picked differently and maybe not....who knows?
    To me the winner did not stand out in the crowd but thats my opinion, and I really don’t care who won they all were beautiful and (some) were unique in there own way.
    I’m sure the winner is a crazy detailed car as the judges are up there in their field and...with Troy winning it last year who knows what they said behind the scenes as that car was way different from a trad Roadster. Anyhoo it’s an amazing show period and I was happy to be able to walk it early in the day and to be parked right outside the building was

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS likes this.
  22. LuckySumbich

LuckySumbich
    from Mesa, AZ

Wasn't saying that it WAS being trashed, just saying that I figured that it would be at some point, like it has on social media.

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. I think it's cool an A won

24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

It’s a pretty heavily reworked A roadster body on modified deuce rails, that’s been in the works for 25+ years.

Can’t say it was my favorite, but it’s a deserving winner.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. deucemac

deucemac

I spent lots of time examining each of the entrants. Not that my views are worth more or less than anyone else's. This year was excellent in the fact that all the entrants had very high quality, desirable builds. Nothing weird or flaky in the least. That makes the judge's job harder and the outcome better. The winner wasn't my choice but one certainly deserving as many others. My personal favorites were the Eddie Dye car and the perfect recreation of something that never was, Dan Hostetter's real life Sierra Gold Henning roadster. Dan is no professional builder but did a great job in my opinion. I talked at length with him on Friday and it was a pleasure to say the least . It was sad that Joe Henning could not be there. It is nice to see the positive changes continuing since the re-evaluation of construction criteria a few years ago. A good show that forced us to make had decisions among all fine quality builds without an over chromed, difficult to really drive pig in the bunch. God work judges and those that decided what cars would compete. And, on a personal note, the builder of the year, Randy Clark of Hot Rods and Custom Stuff. I worked for Randy for a short time over 20 years ago. His eye for quality and detail has never wavered. We are still friends all these years later. Congratulations Randy and Peaches, hard earned and we'll deserved!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I first met Scott Bonowski of Hot Rods and Hobbies when he had a mobile auto detailing business and a small body shop around the corner from my header and chassis shop. That was in the mid '90s and I was immediately impressed by his work ethic and attention to detail. He started doing paint jobs applying those traits and putting out amazingly perfect paint and bodywork. He also has a good business sense that has helped him grow his business and make a living doing what he loves.
    Years later I visited his shop in Signal Hill and was amazed at how he had gathered some true craftsmen to build high end customs and hot rods from the ground up with that same work ethic and talent.
    Now the AMBR! Congratulations to Scott and his crew, he's worked hard for this.

27. TERPU

TERPU

This picture says a lot. The winner is a great car with a dump truck load of specialty work performed. I get it, but for us nothing could even come close to that little car behind it. Jimmy White should be extremely proud of himself and his team.

As far as I'm concerned the Preservation award from Bruce Meyer has a shitload more weight than the AMBR. For me it's show car versus The Real Deal. But that's because I like old technology, old already used engines, and a subtle overall make up of a build. I totally respect the blue car, but it's just not my thing. It looks like the list of Judges are a group who's already been where we are dwelling in and re-creating to some extent.

Either way you look at it both cars are great examples in their own rite.

BUT IN MY HUMBLE OPINION JIMMY AND CREW SHOULD HAVE WON. just sayin'

- Tim

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys do realize we have this argument every year, right? It's most definitely not a "bad choice," it's just not your choice.

I suspect that the AMBR award may have an inherent bias towards recent builds. The Dye roadster is no doubt beautiful but it is from a different era, even if recently restored. That doesn't make it less beautiful, but (and I'm obviously just guessing here) perhaps the judges thought that it has already had its opportunity and the Meyer award was its appropriate recognition.

b-bop, mdcolby, cretin and 3 others like this.
  29. verde742

verde742

ME TOO !!! scared to keep going there...