Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does anybody make stainless Hairpins and rear Ladder Bars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonWegener, Jan 28, 2018.

1. VonWegener

VonWegener

I want to build a cookie cutter '32 and am too old laying on my back polishing chrome.
    So does anybody make stainless Hairpins and rear Ladder Bars?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. i think So-cal does ?.....well at least the front hairpins

Poh and VonWegener like this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've got So-Cal stainless hairpins on 4 of my deuces. along with stainless axles/tierod/draglink/panard/steering arms/pitman and on 2 of them stainless spindles. Their stainless parts are very high quality. I've yet to find someone making stainless ladder bars but I may have missed it. I make a set of stainless ladder bars several years ago and they worked fine on my deuce vicky.

VonWegener likes this.
  4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Not that hard to make, material cost is a determent over plain steel , takes the same amount of time to fabricate

mad mikey and VonWegener like this.

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I wouldn't think that stainless bars are a good idea as stainless work hardens pretty fast. And since the hair pins flex a lot, the stainless will crack I would think. That is why chrome moly would be a better choice in my opinion. But I'm not the smartest guy on the block either. Remember the long forks on choppers, they were chrome moly because they had to flex a lot.

6. The long springer forks on choppers were made from Henry ford wish bones :)

VonWegener likes this.
  7. VonWegener

VonWegener

I think ChevyFordman is talking about the narrow springers like Dick Allens chrome moly versions.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

VonWegener is correct, I wasn't talking about the wish bone made ones but the chrome moly versions which can take all that flexing without cracking.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have SoCal Stainless Hairpins on my car. I couldn't find stainless ladder bars so I chromed mine.