Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Joe has a 50 year Olds Collection in Tucson for sale - bring a forklift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Jan 28, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish I was much closer.

trulyvintage likes this.
  2. Vanness

Vanness

Jeff. We are way to far and the metal is way to nice for us folks! Ohio/pa same old rusted beat up p.o.s’
    ———————————

The Passion is the Same.

The Money makes the Difference

Well said vintage!!! dilly dilly!!!!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and trulyvintage like this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

If he was in excavating, he was likely too busy to do anything with them and time got away. After keeping all his macginery running to make a living, time for bed, not for cars.
    Probably got many for free and Im happy for him if hes able to turn them into cash - after storing them for 20 or more years.

Cool find, and hookup, thank you for posting.

dan31, Hnstray, nochop and 1 other person like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

The man had a passion, and just wanted them.

How many stamps does a collector need to fill a book?...How much room does the collector need?

How many cars does a collector need to fill his property?...Depends on how much property he has.

Que up Moriarty:)

So now he's selling it off.

I did see a shot of a '57? Chevy there. I didn't see it on the list though, maybe I was mistaken.

I'm just a tire kicker these days, but sure wish I was a bit closer to be a tire toucher.

5. Thanks for all the nice comments ....

I hope someone reaches out to him & pays a visit ....,

Jim

31EDD743-8A4F-49E8-83BE-A4D853D37FFA.jpeg B5A0F65E-613E-43CD-9BFA-E785124C0B86.jpeg

6. Thanks for posting and giving these cars a chance....and also for him saving them - not hording them.

dan31, Stogy, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo

I don't suppose he's interested in selling parts, there's a few pieces I need for my motor.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Stogy and trulyvintage like this.
  8. Thanks for posting! Very cool collection of cars. Will it be that hard to get one out? looks to me you could just pull them out with a truck to get to the one you want and then push them back. Sure if they are in "park" the tires will slide but who has not slid a car around with the tires locked up?
    Now checking one out may be hard to do, not being able to walk around it and all but most of the cars are $3000 cars and I think you could make a deal with what you can see climbing on bumpers to get close.

I don't know maybe I'm just looking at the bright side.

9. squirrel

squirrel

The prices are probably reasonable for someone up north to pay for a car that is sitting in front of them. But for where they are, they seem to me to be high, by a factor of two.

I suppose I'm just spoiled? I grew up in Tucson, and live nearby.

Stogy, Bowtie Coupe, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  10. dan31, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not all people realize they are going to croak, I suspect he may be a little like me, I have reluctantly gotten rid of some "stuff" that my wife thought I would never part with. She is 10 years younger and works in the shop too (she does metal sculpture so she uses almost all the tools that we have--and she seldom needs tools out of my tool box since I made sure she had the tools I figured she would use). When I told her that when I died I didn't want some SOB to get my tools, and she said "then I won't marry a SOB:)"

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I agree

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Trulyvintage, thanks for posting. Twenty years ago I would have been there with my dually and trailer! These days all I would want are some early Olds engine parts.
    I'm thinking you should maybe have a heart to heart talk with him and give him the number of a couple reputable wrecking yards specializing in vintage cars so in the event they don't sell as builders they might be salvaged as parts donors. You guys have a couple of good old car yards down there don't you?

14. All I can say Jim is that I want your avatar to deliver my package....

15. If I had my Avatar at home I would never leave the house

Jim

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy likes this.
  17. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Nice! That's the way all yards should be landscaped.

18. Squablow

Squablow

Neat pics, thanks for sharing. I'm glad there were people going out and saving this stuff back when it was basically worthless and I suppose I could understand the difficulty of selling off a huge collection after so many years but I personally think most of the prices are high. $2500 for the '67 Cutlass 4 door covered in pine needles? A '49 Olds 98 4 door with no title for $3K? $15,000 for a '64 Olds 88 convertible that it's noted "runs" but I assume is still a total resto project? I don't see them bringing anywhere near those prices.

I hope he's negotiable and can find a buyer for all of it, either piece by piece or the whole lot, so this stuff can be saved.

19. Asking & Selling prices often vary.

If someone showed up in person & expressed interest ....

Jim

Stogy, Bowtie Coupe, nochop and 2 others like this.
  20. kev442

kev442
    from Wi

I wonder if any ever sold. I kinda doubt it at those prices.
    I bought a 61 sedan parts car out of ND for $600 under the same circumstances; bring a set of tires and lever it out of the back 40. The good part was that most of the stuff around it was already gone.
    Same applies here, as soon as one or two leave the rest get much easier.

I should mention that I bought from the kids, he had passed on. Has a lot to do with $600 vs $2000....

21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It would be a shame if the cars didn't sell for a couple thousand dollars each, and then got scrapped for a couple of hundred, or less.

22. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Looking at the tall grass and other things piled on the cars, the rattle snakes must love this place. If I went there to look around I would be wearing snake chaps or at the minimum tape rolled up news papers around my lower legs.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayuum...fricken unbelievable metal...what a uniquely F'd up situation...its like interlocking stone...car style...the guy literally created a double edged sword with his collection...costs as much to get it out as it is to buy it...to the seller.

What needs to be done is move a number of cars to another property to open space to allow shifting...a huge online auction with preset pickup...someone with business smarts needs to coordinate this...

I can only appreciate the efforts of you @trulyvintage for your efforts to get this potential opportunity to the membership...I love to see vintage metal resting...there is all kinds of desirable stuff in there...I hope it all works out for everyone.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  24. Thanks ....

I still think he would sell if someone took the time to visit with him - listen to his story - offer to help.

I used to do more threads like this - suppose I will start doing it again.

Jim

25. I'd take one car a week, pull it out, clean it up, get tires on it that hold air, and post it for sale someplace.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. ...if the guy was into excavating, why doesn't he have a big forklift to get the cars out/loaded?...hope this stuff gets saved..

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. kev442

kev442
    from Wi

They actually had a huge tractor with forks when I went to ND. I ended up turning it down as it was sunk in pretty good and I needed both bumpers and a huge chunk of the floorpan and rockers for mine.
    At $4-1000 each I think he said they had moved 35-40 cars and trucks. Most had titles.

Stogy likes this.
  28. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

1709852A-05C9-4FB6-BEDE-DEFED8E9C8D4.jpeg
    I hate snakes

Stogy likes this.
  29. I have seen this yard with my own eyes and it's in the middle of Tucson. He finally is ready to sell after all these years. The city of Tucson will be widening the street where his yard is so basically eminent domain is what is happening here.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who needs Halloween when those are lurking around...they don't bother me to much here and most are harmless and not very big...but those yeah different story hop in your newest acquisition from the wrecking yards and all of a sudden look what slides out...then there a those 8 legged suckers!:eek:

nochop likes this.