Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy Bel Air 2dr ht mild custom “Lolita”

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Starting a new thread for my project 54 Chevy.
    Dad bought it a month before I was born. I grew up in it and learned to drive out in a field when I was 8yo.
    Have a number of other classics. But this one is family!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    Have an idea for the paint job I want to run past fellow Hambers.
    Going two tone House of Kolor organic green Kandy and white.
    I dig the look of traditional scallops. But I am thinking of doing it with a twist I have not seen before.
    This pic is one from the internet I scribbled the graphics on.
    At first I was scribbling it with solid white in mind. But I like the look of the lines. What I am thinking is to do a fade with lines then spray the front solid white fading into the lines. I think the lines give it even more of a sense of motion than a standard scallop.
    Just want to get some feedback to my idea.

3. carsandbeer

carsandbeer
    from California

Awesome concept, I think it would look good.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great project - not a fan of monster scallop(s) on that body style

5. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

6. Rand Man

Rand Man

7. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

8. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    Did some more metal work today and got it off the rotisserie.
    Going to finish the firewall, prime and paint the undercarriage with bedliner this weekend. Should have it on the chassis next week.

9. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Very nice keep it going

10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Past few days I sprayed Por 15 and truck bed liner over the under body. Bolting it to the chassis now.
    Please disregard my choice of engine and transmission. I know it is not H.A.M.B. friendly.

12. R Pope

R Pope

Love it! My first car was a '54 hardtop...still have it!

13. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thank you,
    My dad still has his first 54 ht too. Got it when he was 14. He is 69 now.

Bowtie Coupe and dan31 like this.
  14. dan31

dan31

You gotta love a 54 hard top.

mikhett and Early Ironman like this.
  15. Bfd305

Bfd305

Awesome job. I'll be watching your build stealing some ideas for my '53. I look forward to the driveability of the modern driveline.

16. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Cool car I will be following as well. I also have garage envy I love the way that is built as well! I will probably be doing the LS swap in my 54 at some point as well.

Capt Chap likes this.
  17. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thank you very much!
    Am learning as I go and having a ball!

18. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Capt Chap likes this.
  19. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'd also advise against the 508 compressor bracket. They are a bitch to get belts lined up nicely, go with the 7176 bracket n compressor not only is it physically smaller but brackets are thicker. Car looks beautiful love a 53/54 Chevy .

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks, but I don't want this thread to be about my choice of engine. Want it to be about the rest of the car. Am very aware that what I am using goes against what this site is all about. Hoping that it will be overlooked by the moderator due to the rest of the build.

21. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I love the car, my dad and I have 3 53/54's between us. We love them, do you by chance have any more detailed pics or info on how you removed/modified the old front cab mounts that are in the way on v8 installs?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Capt Chap likes this.
  22. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks,
    I have two two door hard tops. The next one will be a gasser.
    Dad still has his 54 ht as well. Gave his convertible to my sister as a wedding present. Needs a complete restoration though. But it is solid and all there.
    For the body mounts, I just cut down the inward angle. You should be able to see the cut in the pics of the body off the frame.
    When I get home next week, I will take pics of the mounts I made and clearance.
    I recessed the engine to put a puller fan behind the radiator. I hate to see the fan in front of the radiator.

23. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Boring but still progress.
    Got the fuel tank and plumbing in.
    Still working on plumbing the brakes and clutch though.

Bowtie Coupe and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. ChevyDeputy54

ChevyDeputy54

Nice im building my 54 Chevy 210 as well, im using a Blueprint 383 EFI engine, are you going to Chop, French Headlights? I'm going to re route the gas tank neck and seal the gas door.

Bowtie Coupe and Early Ironman like this.
  25. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I will French the headlights and tail lights, nose and deck the hood, but not shaving the door handles, gas fill door, or trunk lock.
    Mainly because I don't trust these Chinese door popper solenoids. I kind of like these door handles anyway. Since I grew up in this car. It reminds me of getting in it as a kid.
    As for the gas door. I have done that before. But hate getting the fuel smell in the cabin if a little fuel gets spilled in the trunk. So I will keep that factory as well.
    I already shaved the side trim. Going with some 50's scallops. Made a rendering in a picture I posted in this thread.
    Keeping the hard top unchopped as well.
    I think it looks proportionate the way it is. The roofline is lower than a 210 already.
    The 41 Ford PU I drive daily I chopped two inches. Just that makes it not as comfortable to drive. Even though I think it looks right now.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. patterg2003

patterg2003

I love the look of the 1953/54 Chev hardtop. My first car was a 53 that I bought for $75 when I was 16. It was a case of extreme mist eyed optimism. The interior of the car was mint and parts were available every where. It ran well but I did not have a place to work and it was rusty all along its bottom to where I could not save it. They pile the salt on the roads here and cars lasted about 6 years. They still pile the salt on but Rust Check will keep a car rust free these days.
    The roof and body lines really are attractive on the 54's. Look forward to following your build.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  27. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Been awhile since I have done some progress updates on the 54. It was sitting again while I finished other projects over the past year. Got back cracking on it a couple months ago.
    Other than non H.A.M.B. friendly progress. I relieved the driver side splash pan for tire clearance, installed 55 Chevy headlight trim, and recessed dash vents.
    Have a number of irons in the fire yet. But making progress none the less.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car modifications can take some time because life gets in the way. I've been working on younger grandson's '39 Dodge for more years than I wish to admit. Bracket racing, my cars, vacations, other work, and honey-do lists do take a lot of time, as well. Keep at it. There are too many projects advertised with the familiar saying, "All the hard work has been done." If that is so, why in the world didn't the person continue with the easy stuff?

Bowtie Coupe and Early Ironman like this.
  29. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks!
    Hope to have it running soon so I can then blow it all back apart. Looking forward to finally being able to prep for paint.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thank for the progress reports. I’ll keep watching because although the 51 Merc’s were alway my choice. The 54’ Belair’s and Delray’s always captured my imagination. Duane Steck was a kid when he built (with help) the”Moonglow”. The the custom culture doesn’t really care what’s under the hood, so I wouldn’t be too concerned. We don’t open our hoods anyway. It’s all about “the look”. Opening up the hood just breaks up the lines. Keep on keeping on. We’ll follow.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.