Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Joe has a 50 year Olds Collection in Tucson for sale - bring a forklift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Jan 28, 2018.

1. 1949 - 1950 -1954 - 1955 - 1956 - 1957 (10 cars) - 1958 (2 cars) - 1961 - 1963 (two cars) - 1964 (6 cars)

I am always up for good conversation.

I was changing my oil at an Autozone in Tucson Thursday & struck up a talk with Liz who works there.

She said her Dad had " a car " for sale.

About half an hour later her Dad Joe shows up - turns out he moved to Tucson in the late 1940's - did excavation & heavy equipment work - collected cars ...

Two acres of cars - engines - parts .....

Mostly Oldsmobile but other makes are scattered in there too ..

He wants to sell - Friday I drove out & viewed a collection under 7500 square feet of cover - cars parked right next to each other - cars that can't be moved out without a forklift,

Mostly 1940 - 1968 Oldsmobile cars ...

Some have titles ...

Videos & more pictures can be found:

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

Text Joe @ 520-471-2121 ( no phone calls)

15DA18BD-0ABD-4030-A67E-F0E12872C92B.jpeg

D62BAFDA-D318-4750-979C-1423E0B9CD61.jpeg

Jim

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018

2. mohead1

mohead1

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Text Joe at the number I posted ....

Jim

chryslerfan55 and Frankie47 like this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sorry,but an 80ish year old guy that will only respond to texts,and will not reply to phone calls?
    Does this not just plain scream out SCAM to anybody else?

Text away fellas,but think long and hard before you send any cash...

If I'm way off the mark,I apologize in advance,but this one really sends up red flags,in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. You are WAY off mark here ....

I have been on the HAMB for (10) years now.

I met Joe - talked with him at length - visited his place - took pictures & videos.

Joe is real & so are the cars .....

Nothing in this for me - just turning the wheel.

Jim

Hnstray, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. Pretty elaborate scam :rolleyes:. Trulyvintage has probably been cooking it up for the last ten years o_O:rolleyes: . Wish i had thought of something like that, real cars and all.

7. Joe fought with the City Of Tucson for (8) years.

The compromise was to put up a 7500 square foot awning over the cars - he did that himself.

But he packed them in so tight - you need a big forklift like they have at Coparts Auto Auctions - to get to any of those cars.

He has a building full of motors too ...

Jim

Stogy, chryslerfan55, ls1yj and 3 others like this.
  8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I don't see anything that screams scam to me. I'm only 66 and I wouldn't want a bunch of aholes calling me with low ball offers. I can easily text them to f*** off and not have to listen to their static.
    I'm sure that if the messaging went well that he would up to more personal communication. JMO FWIW

9. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

10. Vanness

Vanness

Looks like a lot of olds stuff. Pretty cool, If olds mobile was cool it would be worth a look, but it’s not. Lol.
    Now. It it was all model a stuff. Scam or not, there would be texts, calls, ground search team.

Scooterville and trulyvintage like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Thanks for sharing! I'll look at the glass half full;
    • there's some 50's Olds' 2 dr.'s in there that would make good builders
    • He has titles to some of them
    • they look to be typical, dry, rot free desert cars
    • Most look fairly solid and complete and he stored most with the windows rolled up to help preserve them
    • the 'less desirable 4 dr's may make good drivetrain donors for Hot Rods (if they don't have titles and the price is right
    • on the above note, he has extra drivetrains
    • he picked this stuff up over the decades, which probably saved it from being scrapped
    • he fought with the city to keep it, "which probably saved it from being scrapped"
    • he's ready to sell some of it off rather than let his estate liquidate it "which probably saved it from being scrapped"
    All the above points are great if hes truly motivated to sell and his prices are realistic or even a bargain. If he's got everything priced at "I don't really want to let go of it" prices, it's a bummer.
    Stuff will be a challenge to get out of there but at least the cars are on wheels. We've seen worse recoveries, buried in the backs of buildings, muddy fields, cars rolled off embankments in the woods, buried, etc.

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Lots of salvageable iron there. In my humble opinion he will never live long enough to get rid of it all and then the city will win and it will all scrap out anyway. Have seen this scenario many times over the years.

13. Vanness

Vanness

Really love the bullet Points btw. Draws me right to each point lol

trulyvintage likes this.
  14. If you live in Phoenix or Tucson ....

Go have a look .....

Jim

D2EE3913-F97F-4D8F-BBB8-94AF966C66BB.jpeg

15. I would be all over that 1938 DeSoto coupe if I had any cash. I don't see a price for it, but it is the coolest ride there, to me.

16. Before starting this thread - I checked Joe’s number to see if it was tied to any vehicles that were for sale or had been sold - came back with nothing.

Joe gave me the car list - it is what is under the awning.

If you text him - inquire about those cars.

If someone took time to walk around the property - no doubt there are other cars I did not see - two acres can hold a lot of hidden gems.

There is a building of motors on racks - I did not venture inside.

“ Everything is for sale - for the right price “
    applies to just about everything.

Jim

AB0E07DD-E6DA-43EC-A4DE-B0C84551D0FF.jpeg

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice, thanks for taking the time ( and caring) to do this

dan31, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I can`t hear to good at the age of 48. So at the age of 80--- I would want people to text me too.

dan31, rockable, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My thought too......

Ray

Stogy, stanlow69 and trulyvintage like this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's hard for me to understand anybody that hoards that many cars and parts and never does anything with them. Sure, it saved some of them from the crusher, but most of them it only put it off until later. There are some cars there that would be of interest to a lot of people, but to get them out you'd have to move no telling how many that were nothing but parts cars. Like that 64 Chevy wagon missing the hood, look what would have to move just to get to it.

To be able to see them, somebody needs to put in the time and money to get them out and into a field in rows so you could check them out. Sad to say, but most will probably end up as scrap anyway, especially the 4 doors. Maybe somebody running a vintage yard can get some of them so the parts will live on a while longer.

21. The Passion is the Same.

The Money makes the Difference.

Last year I was extended an invitation to visit The Lemay Family Collection in Tacoma, WA.

My host greeted me in a Model T - we drove around the exterior first - then he led me for an inside tour.

After a few hours I just could not take it anymore - my senses were overwhelmed - that had never happened to me before & I have seen a LOT of car collections over the years.

Joe reminds me of Mr. Harold LeMay.

I never met Harold but when I saw his Souped Up Tow Vehicle ( with the whole front clip gone & a big @ss air scoop ) I just burst out laughing - I think it was a Suburban.

Joe & Harold are the same except for the money - Joe spent (50) years collecting hoping in the back of his mind perhaps that one over there would run again one day.

It is possible to get these cars out - but as they come out they can’t stay there - no room.

Tacoma Harold

0CA9060B-A14A-46EB-BD70-EA403BCF63BD.jpeg

Tucson Joe

11AF5926-F41C-43B8-8DE3-BA9FE0EF6A58.jpeg

Jim

Jalopy Joker, GordonC, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  22. adam401

adam401

This guys a hero if you ask me and his prices seem reasonable. The logistics are gonna be a bitch though. Best bet would be a couple guys buy a couple cars and split renting a Lull to fork them out. Easy peasy.

23. Customarily - the responsibility & expense of getting the vehicle to the curb for loading falls on the Seller.

Joe told me every car on the list is for sale - I expect he has some sense of what it is going to take to get them there.

If a few local HAMBers paid him a visit & saw some cars and perhaps some motors worth saving - the process might begin.

Jim

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

Jim, part of me wants to say I hope not. Harold was rumored to have only sold a couple of cars in his life - and he bought at least one of them back. On a serious note , it will be difficult for the sale to be successful without Joe having a forklift on site and being able to operate it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Harold was a Hoarder - no doubt about it.

He always wanted a Tucker but considered it too extravagant an expense - one was acquired after his death.

Joe is also a Hoarder - but he approached me with a list of what he says he wants to sell - most of which is under the covered awning.

When I first arrived Friday - before I started in taking pictures & videos - I asked to talk to Joe & Lana both together.

I was direct because that is my nature - I told them both that in (10) years we would probably all be gone - but all the cars would still be there in worse condition.

When they were finally sold - it would probably be for scrap - a few minutes spent on each car.

I recommended they each pick out one or two cars to restore- then sell “ the rest of this crap “ ( quoting myself ) to pay for doing that.

Then we took a walk .....

I have been thru this before - but there are encouraging signs coming from them both that they want to actually sell.

In my opinion - any equipment and/or labor to get any of these cars to the curb for loading is the responsibility of the Seller.

Jim

Stogy and Hnstray like this.