Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tunnel ram question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eh!Bob, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Not a tunnel ram but eye candy just the same. IMG_1146.JPG IMG_1143.JPG

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

That is all kinds of pretty!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

Hey Dickster 27 That's really funny that you post a pic of an air gap 2x4 because that was my other thought ! I also saw your post of the 2x2 Rochester mounted on a duel quad intake , and wondered about doing that instead of 2 eddy 500s. I also have a question for you about the big base rochesters that stock car guys use that are rated at 500cfm , are they rated at 500 cfm at 4 barrel pressure drop or 500 cfm at 2 barrel drop? Thanks for any info!

4. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Bob, the 500 is rated on a 2 barrel intake. we both know a dual quad flows much better. Did you see the 4x2 big rochesters or the 3x2 with 427 big block carbs? Both for SBC.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Deuces and powrshftr like this.
  6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Old Hot Rodder:
    Have you looked at running a line between those vacuum diaphragms?
    That's the way the factory Ford systems were configured,and I think Chevy and Mopar ran their 3x2 setups on the 427/435 and the 440/6 in a similar fashion.
    Man,does that motor ever look good,by the way....And if it was put together by those fellas in Texas,it's sure to get your attention real quick when you stab the pedal!

Scott

7. Deuces

Deuces

That's exactly how Ford did it....
    Zoom in the vacuum secondary pods on this setup..... ibuc 427 67 fairlane.jpg

mgtstumpy, powrshftr and saltflats like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^I'am fixin to build one of these. ;)

9. doug warren

doug warren

10. doug warren

doug warren

OK I picked up an older polished wieand tunnel ram to go on my 55 chevy gasser.BBC 468 with so so cam headers and it cam with two 660 holly center squirters. Was told it came off a drag boat. any way too much for the street. I put a couple of 600 Edelbrocks runs awsum. The only thing is it dosent like any shinanagans below 160 degee water temp. But once warmed up hang on. Also the thing that I believe more streetable was the 3200 rpm torque converter. Really made it streetable. I love the pull it has. I love it when people tell me this or that wont work. I also got a cheater nos set up on it and it works pretty good also. Have fun.

Deuces and mrhp like this.
  11. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I love it when a plan comes together.

Deuces likes this.
  12. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Interesting thread...Years ago there was an article about a guy that had a couple of quadrajets on a BBC tunnel ram. I can't remember the outcome and have often wondered about the setup? I suppose there's no reason why it shouldn't work with proper tuning.

Deuces likes this.
  13. powrshftr

powrshftr

So where did the OP end up with this?Still running a single 4bbl,or has he sorted out an tunnel ram and carbs?

Scott

Deuces likes this.
  14. Eh!Bob

Eh!Bob

I am back to the single 4 bbl , I had a 6x2 intake with holley 94's on it, but ended up pulling it back off for a long trip and put my trusty Edelbrock 4bbl back on and it makes way more power with it . But I still plan to go to an edelbrock tunnel ram with 3 500's this winter ... you know how that goes here in Canada EH powrshftr!

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd love to build a nasty hi-RPM tunnel ram SBC one day. I have a bunch of parts laying around...Hmmmm

Deuces likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

??? 327???

Deuces likes this.
  17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

18. Deuces

Deuces

Er, how about a 283-302????:rolleyes:

19. I think Ric P. with "yesterday's child" 56 Chevy was running Q-jets on his for awhile.

powrshftr likes this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

True story Phil....he never fully got the bugs worked out,but it’s still one of his back-burner type projects as far as I know.
    If anybody can make it work well,it’s that guy.He’s incredibly sharp,and has plenty of tricks up his sleeve.
    Enough to make me glad I’m not running against Yesterday’s Child in Southeast Gassers competition....lol

Scott

21. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

Ran a 60 over 396 bbc for years with an offenhouser 2x4 intake and dual 500 Edelbrock cards with a progressive linkage. With too much cam, not enough gear in an ole model A it did ok. Read all the horror stories about tunnel Rams and put one on the anyway. The car really responded! Plenty of tourque down low and no flat spots. I'm sure it being a four speed doesn't hurt. Fact is, do what you want! A "street" tunnel ram will work with some tuning. Mine has more HP = more fun! It is cold blooded and doesn't want to idle until you build done heat in the motor. Once warmed up, it lumpy lumps at 750 rpm without an issue.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

Tall t 26, Flipper, swade41 and 6 others like this.
  23. powrshftr

powrshftr

That looks like 2500lbs of fun!
    I think the combo of big ci,light car,and manual transmission really work well with a tunnel ram.

Deuces likes this.
  24. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

probably a noob question but I'll ask anyways...

I've got a tunnel ram set up - dual 4 center squirters (600cfm I think) that I want to run on a sbc / 4spd/ 4.10s - what should I be looking for in terms of heads and cam? Will be a street car, maybe a few passes at the track.

Does anyone offer a crate package that I can just put my intake on?

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have 327 rods, crank and pistons (11:1). Could be fun.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Anyone tried the 600 Quick Fuel carbs? I thought about using them on a 427 BBC with a tunnel ram.

Deuces likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Go for it!!!
    I heard they're great carbs... :)

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

I will try to find the article about making those 660’s work...Lots of guys ran them very successfully.
    I’ve got the larger 750cfm versions that replaced them.
    I’ll post that article as soon as I find it.You will like it.
    As far as heads and cam,I guess specifics depend on the weight of the car,how much money you have to spend,and how hardcore you are about all this gearhead shit that we play with....lol
    I would say run the best heads you can find without breaking the bank (maybe look for a set of older Brodix from a bracket racer who’s stepping up to the latest,greatest thing?)
    Go big and aggressive on the heads,as the motor will really be able to take advantage of the airflow a tunnel ram allows with good cylinder heads.
    For the cam,I would suggest something between 250-260 degrees duration @.050” lift,and probably.650” lift.
    Something in this ballpark,with a late intake closing point,will allow you to runaround 11:1 compression on pump gas,and really make the whole combo work like mad.
    That would be one of those combos where everyone at your local cruise night would be talking about how nasty fast the car was for an hour every time you showed up,and every time you left....lol

Scott

29. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

C208754E-8842-4051-A6B8-5832D699584E.jpeg I fill you going to have your hands full and a little disappointed , 355 with small heads and No RPMs ,
    I was running two 550s Holley 2 barrels Victor Ram (SBC) over 400 inch motor flowing over 320 cfms on runners , timing set & total 30 degs small headers
    Very tight coverter 1,200 rpms shifting @ 6000 rpms
    Custom solid roller cam very Detuned motor ,
    Drive 300-400 miles weekly year round .
    I spent more then 40 hrs in tuning and experimenting , NO BOLT ON AND GO !!!
    But I did accomplish Tunnel ram on street
    2,800 pound car with me in ,
    103 mph in 1/8 on a regular street tire ( no drag slick)
    Then In last few mouths swith dual EFI
    PICK up 3 mph 1/8 , still more to gain

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

Here’s that article on modifying those 660 center squirters.
    There’s some really good info in here.
    IMG_2062.JPG IMG_2063.JPG IMG_2064.JPG

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.