Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I finished my Mysterion clone and have a book contract!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Jan 4, 2016.

1. When dad was a teen in the 30s he worked for a lumber yard in Alhambra. He would occasionally hauls a load of lumber to Bakersfield on the original grapevine road that traversed the very tops of the mountain range. They had a solid-tired Mack truck and the trip took a whole day. Dad's job was to walk ahead of the truck and warn traffic coming the other way that there was a big truck coming (very slowly!) around the bend.

2. Going thru some pic files on my computer and ran across these taken by my chrome guy. Scary!!

IMG_0504.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0545.JPG

3. loudbang

loudbang

BIG chrome bill Yikes.

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. JimSibley

JimSibley

Just got the book for Christmas. Loved it. I read it in 1 day. Man I know a lot more about that car now.

loudbang likes this.
  5. And the pictures don't include the wheels and carburetors. I didn't even keep track of the cost. Was going to do it anyway so why suffer?

Moriarity, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. Thanx for the kind comments. You are exactly the target audience I wanted to write the book for. If you get a chance, the publisher says it really helps to get reviews posted at Amazon.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  7. JimSibley

JimSibley

8. OK. I wimped out on showing up at the Western Street Rod Nationals last spring due to the trailer renting fiasco but made it to the Autobooks book signing a couple months ago in Burbank and now I am registered to show the Mysterion at the LA Classic Auto Show in the LA Convention Center, March 2-4. Now that I know my trailer works, I think I can get there in one piece. This will be a big deal, over 1,000 cars and all the big names in hot rodding will be there so this is my official coming out party.

All pray that my truck makes it over the Grapevine again.

http://www.theclassicautoshow.com/

9. Always rooting for you, wishing you safe travels.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What a great story. I feel your anxiety about firing the engine(s), trailering, towing, and especially the build being the important part. I just drove my '34 up and down the driveway, not quite finished, and honestly, I could stop now and just look at it. The fun was the build, firing it the first time, the first "trip" out of the garage, knowing it was the first time it's been a car and moved under it's own power in decades. It's "done" in my mind, that's the most important part.
    I admire the dedication and craftsmanship in your build, obviously that flows through all your projects, as evidenced by the carvings. Thanks for recreating part of our childhood, I'll be getting the book, which help put you on Amazon's best seller list!
    Cheers!

pitman, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  11. We are definitely soul-mates. It is difficult to explain to folks who don't have the fire that it is the journey of the build that is the most satisfying part of a hot rod project.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Whether you kept track or not, I'll still bet you gulped pretty hard at the chrome bill when it arrived!!!!!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  13. I posted this notice in a couple other places here too. FINALLY have a good chance of showing the car. Scary part is weather forecast is for snow and rain on the Grapevine between Bakersfield and LA during the LA Classic Auto Show weekend. And I have pulling trailers in GOOD weather!

I am signed up for two shows for the Mysterion this year.

The first is @ the Los Angeles Classic Auto Show at the LA Convention Center, March 2-5. My car will be on the prestigious 'Grand Boulevard'!

The second showing is in Bakersfield at the NSRA Western Nationals, April 27-29. It will be on display in one of the vendor buildings.

14. Contrats on the upcoming showings!

Tom Davidson told me about the book last year at the Custom Car Revival in Indy. Got home from the trip and ordered it right away. Enjoyed the heck out of it. Thanks first for building the car, second for sharing the build and all that went into it with us all in the book.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DOutstanding Sir.Wishing you the best of luck.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Betcha this stopped the traffic on Magnolia.......
    Really sad that I missed seeing it/you there. Man, I better check in more often.
    FANTASTIC JOB on the build!!!!!!!
    Next time I’m in there I’ll have look over that book.

loudbang likes this.
  17. protype

protype
    from Reno, NV

If you are interested I have some info about the transportation cracking that occurred during the show circuit transportaion..

loudbang likes this.
  18. Absolutely!!

loudbang likes this.
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That video really shows how nice your work is.... Top notch!

loudbang likes this.
  21. It really did look good under the bright lights in the building, I was surprised! When I was getting it ready for the show I noticed it was covered in a mist of white paint overspray from some other project in my shop. Can't remember what it was but had to break out the Turtle wax and polish it all off. Came off easily because the car had a good wax coat but need to quit being lazy and put the car cover on it when in storage.

Didn't win any awards but if there was an award for the most photographed car there, it was grand champion!!

22. loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a really good article. The accompanying pictures were also excellent. You did a magnificent job with the car. Congratulations on the write-up.

24. Western Street Rod show was a success last weekend. Had fun showing the car. Now I have regrettably decided to sell the car. I am retiring and moving to Texas in December and will have no place to display the car. I listed it on ebaY this morning.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh man, I am sorry to hear that you are selling it... are you sure you can't keep it inside your new house????

26. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

wow, I'm gone for a year and a half, and wow... what else did I miss. Awesome!

27. I could never approach the actions of the Master!!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. loudbang

loudbang

Got this one yet?

bubble and mysterion.JPG

1947knuck, loner1 and chryslerfan55 like this.