Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original Hydramatic Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Yac, Jan 26, 2018.

1. We have a 41 Olds auto trans and Big 6 in our way at the shop. The car ran and the trans shifted well, about five years ago. The car actually ran a 20 second quarter mile at one of our events. It developed a skip, so probably needs, at a minimum, a valve job.
    I hate to scrap the thing , but it's got to go.
    We haven't posted a HAMB ad , because we don't have time to fool around with out of state shipping, etc.
    Still , it bugs me to scrap the thing. What say you?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Cost more to ship it than it's worth.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I sold this to a restorer for $550.00 on the other side of the country to clear up some space in my garage and recall that when I removed the complete assembly, it was NO lightweight. I tied it down to a pallet and dropped it off, that was the last time I heard from buyer. GM Holdens never offered the hydro down here, all we got were manuals on CKD frames as bodies were built locally.
    Yours being an early hydro I think there were a few changes from early production models to my 1945 YOM. Reece1.jpg

4. I'd probably agree on the engine. It's really the Hydramatic deal that bugs. It actually shifts great and appears to be rebuilt not too long ago.
    Think about it. This is the kind of American technology that helped us win WW 2.

5. williebill

williebill

Gotta think that somebody needs it, somewhere.
    You just have to find them.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's probably me remembering that I told myself that I was never going to change another one again. LOL

I would hate to see it scrapped also especially if in good shape. It's not like good used ones are in everyone's way.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Like your situation, I have a pile of old Sportster stuff that is just in the way. The next time I move it, it will be to the scrap pile. I gave it away to a local, and then he decided he didn't want it either. It's tough throwing things out that are good, I understand your quandary completely.