Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The beat box.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomKreeps, Jan 26, 2018.

1. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Im a total rookie at car audio and wouldn't mind a bit of advice if you fellas dont mind.
    Its for the 49 Hudson im working on. Want bluetooth as I carry all my music on my phone or stream spotify - so I guess what im going to feed the system isnt the best quality but well thats what I got. Dont need CD or radio. The head unit will be tucked out of sight and pretty much controlled by my phone or a tablet I plan to have mounted behind a custom fold down chrome dash speaker grill.

So a run down of whats happening so far for the elctrics to get an idea of the drain etc... American Auto Wire 22kit, 150 single wire alternator, Dakota Digital gauges, 2x 14" spal fans on a DD controller, Electric life shaved doors,Ridetech airpod, fuel pump, and then all the standard lighting & car electrics I guess.
    Unsure of battery but thinking trunk mounted. Had thought Optima but unsure.
    Hopeing the car will be quiet as its getting full new seals and lizard skin sound and heat inside and out.

My Buick I have 2x 6inch up front, 2x 6x9 at back then an amp and head unit (all pioneer). The car has a fair bit of creaks and whistles I guess even with new seals.The sound is OK but not awesome even when I play 300 or flac songs. Could be due to the ambient noises.
    Im thinking I wouldn't mind a sub in the Hudson as I have room in the trunk for one just behind the Rear seats. Its no biggie if I dont get one and its deemed better amp and speakers than a sub.

Im just unsure what to look for, what brands are good and what are just junk, what speakers & amp, and well every thing else.

With a sub and the four speakers do I need a 5channel amp?
    Do i need a sub box? The Hudson has a decent size trunk.

Was thinking this combo deal thats for headunit, 4 speakers, amp & sub.
    https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/produc...akers-sub-5ch-amp-mega-package/1303672/detail

Would my projected electrical system be able to handle the load? Is the above system just cheap crap and I would be better getting each bit separate or skip the amp?

I bring a heap of parts in from the states so if there is a good place in the states with cheap kit then let me know.

Well thats a heap to read sorry and im sure thats just a few Q's that popped in my head as I started typing.

Any advice would be welcome good or bad. I know im a rookie at this.

Alex

2. loudbang

loudbang

This ought to be good. :)

3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey KK,

Here is a story posted almost a year ago, that I did while waiting for my wife to take care of some business for her 98 year old dad...(at the time). I was wandering around in a Target store in So Cal. The story was on an old thread, "Music in cars, stereos, mp3, speakers, etc."
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-what-works-good.1039238/page-2#post-11849972

The best thing about these speakers was the idea that place it in a car and play music. No wires necessary, no external amps, just find a place for the bluetooth speaker, hidden or not, turn on your mp3 player/phone and blast away. Wireless connection keeps the installation simple and clean. Under the dash or behind the seats or ??? What about the sound? The best sound was from the larger speakers from each of the companies displayed.

If you are near a Target Store in NZ, check it out... It was fun to listen, make some notes, take photographs and see which one I would get for my car, if I needed one.

Jnaki
    Back in 1960, these wireless speakers/bluetooth systems would have been the best as those tiny portable AM radios did not quite make great sounding songs. (Even though I had a built-in hollow chamber in the back of my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.)
    upload_2018-1-26_5-52-31.png upload_2018-1-26_5-56-8.png

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

5. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

hey thanks for getting back guys.

I do have a portable Bluetooth speaker I will try today in the Buick (the Hudson is empty inside and up on the rotisserie at the moment).
    I have read over that thread before when I was looking for info on sound systems. It was an option I hadn't really given much thought to.

Any one know of the brands Rockford fosgate, Pioneer, Soundstream, Kicker, Sony or Focal? any of them any good?

We generally average 500miles a month in the Buick and that doubles over Summer. The sound of an engine is all good but we have a big trip planned for the Hudson taking us around NZ South Island next summer and we will be wanting tunes.

Thanks again any further help would be great appreiated

Alex