Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cuban Chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was watching Cuban Chrome on Velocity. Very educational. I learned two things: 1. Ford made a Model A in 1934 and 2. I guess because Cuba is a communist country the '56 Ford Crown Victoria never came with a crown it looks just like a regular Victoria.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Both those comments don't sound quite right to me.
    I think that the comment about the Model A upto 1934 either means Ford was dumping old stock into Cuba, but more likely is that the comment was directed at the use of the Ford 4 cylinder (Model A based) engine thru until 1934.

I've visited Cuba and can say I had seen some Ford Victoria's with crowns, not many I must admit.
    I have spent time in Havana, Santiago de Cuba and Guantanamo city.

3. Isn't TV like the internet??? I thought it all had to be true

4. Steve77T

Steve77T

Any where you go almost south of the equator like South America you can find new old stuff. Back in the seventies when boatracing in Argentina there were many NEW old cars and trucks some ten year older than here. Volkswagen aslodone this. In Cuba because of Castro, and take over time froze for autos and they have some cool old more doors down there and rod them.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^ I was just reading about Willys/Overland making the Aero Willys and variations thereof from 1956 up until 1966 in Brazil, then Ford bought Willys of Brazil and made 'em until 1972. I guess H.J Kaiser saved the 1955 Aero dies and sent them to Brazil to start up W.o B. Always wanted an Aero Willys.

6. 1911

Castro didn't take control of Cuba until Jan 01 1959

Hnstray and fiftyv8 like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was commenting on the inane comments made by the narrator who apparently didn't know what he was talking about. The "Model A" looked to be a Dodge or Plymouth though there were not very good shots of it. The Ford Victoria was no way a Crown period! Some of these production companies are rather wanting in what they put out there!

Texas Webb, Hombre and ChucksCrib like this.
  8. Your initial sarcasm was not wasted on me! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you had to explain it.

9. What would you expect from a clueless narrator?

10. k9racer

k9racer

I will hand it to the car people of cuba they take nothing and keep them running. One was a 1.5 ton 50 chevy truck made into a boat with 55 gal drums and made sea worthy almost made it to Fla and was sunk by the coast guard. The same folks took a 48 Mercury air port lemo and did the same.

11. chargin03

chargin03

I did not know it was still on.