Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jackalope

jackalope

Sounds good. There are a few things that stick in my mind as it relates to Shop safety. One are the images I saw of bodies after machine accidents and then the dangers of welding after the use of chlorinated solvents which produce phosgene gas. Horrible stuff that is in most shops (brake cleaner).
    Just can’t be too safe.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, this is a home made tools and equipment thread so here are all the small hss and carbide tools I made or modified, I kept them when I sold my lathe thinking I might get a small lathe at a later time but never did.
    I bought a new 18x80 inch, 10 hp lathe in the late 80's from overtime money at work.
    It was fully tooled with all the best U.S. made support tooling, it had a removable gap under the chuck to swing about 22 inch diameter and also had a taper attachment.

20180122_182222.jpg

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I guess wood turning and spun aluminum work is unsafe as well. ;)

loudbang and cretin like this.
  4. Wood turning and metal spinning is "art" :D:p done by an artist.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I had a cool wood shop teacher during high school. He was a pilot and wanted to build a plane there in the shop (but it never would happen because of the goof off's). So I thought I'd amuse him. I made 3 ft long wooden propeller. He liked it. But I took it a step further. While he step out of the shop as he often did I bolted the prop to the back end of the lathe where you can turn large item's like huge salad bowls. The other guy's served as look out's and just before he reentered the shop at the rear doors where the air would hit him I turned the lathe on. He laughed his ass off.

6. See , another safety problem . Bet he missed that ass .

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ No idea what that means but I'll play along some more. My wood shop teacher today would be fired for how he showed us what not to do. Oh yes, it was funny then. But young minds tend to worship and want to become they're idol that would drop pieces of wood on the saw blade of a running table saw. "BING............BANG!!!!!!!!!!"

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. atch

atch

Here ya go, Johnny.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

More like finger's. But that's another story. Mr. Don Kerns was crazy but the man knew his stuff. He made some crazy jig's up. To bad yesteryear isn't like today for sharing things in real time. So this will have to do. The best jig I witnessed was one for cutting gears on a table saw to make an all wooden (movements) clock. It was fully adjustable. Any diameter, any pitch, and number of teeth. He was a kind of Howard Hughes, super smart and strange but!, very fair.

loudbang and JOYFLEA like this.
  10. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

^What's the chance that you can remember how it's made? And then draw out some plans?

klawockvet likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's been a long time ago (40 years) but here goes because I'm not smart at posting pic's that require taking a photo and up loading it. Think of a box that runs down the grove's where the miter bar goes. It's adjustable to move left and right. Now the face of the box has a slot running up and down so pivot point can create any diameter outside and inside for the root of the tooth gear. Back to the box moving left and right. You do this along with tilting the saw blade to create your pitch. Granted, you won't get a tooth face with a crown on it but it will mess. I forgot. There was an index pin also to plot out the tooth count once the first v-notch was made. Hope this gives you a mental enough image of it.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ you tube to the rescue

loudbang, brEad and '51 Norm like this.
  13. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I need those....maybe with some good tooling I'd learn to machine a little better...hehehe

cretin and loudbang like this.
  14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Man, table saws make me nervous enough, but "lathe turning" a pine disc on an open table saw with your fingers in there is flirting with disaster. For starters, he's got a small bench top disc sander right next to the saw that would do the job in a safe fashion. Or how about a 3" hole saw in a drill press with the board securely clamped to the table?

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  15. That video is Cringe worthy!
    Is that guy double jointed, his hands and fingers bend in weird ways.

That would be a great way to make a conical seat plug, if you needed one.

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. I need to learn how to grind an edge on that kind of stuff.
    Any pointers Denny?

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I worked at the same place for nearly thirty years directly out of trade school.
    I had very little experience making high speed steel tool bits and they wouldn't let me have carbide tooling until I got good at hss, gotta walk before you can run right.

loudbang likes this.
  18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Guys, just remember this and you'll be fine.
    upload_2018-1-24_12-2-26.png

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you're talking carbide you need a diamond finishing wheel and one of these.
    Not cheap but this is a homemade tool thread.
    High speed bits can be free hand ground on a pedestal grinder with a quality wheel, and keep it trued with a dressing stick.
    One more thing, as attractive as they may seem for sharpening hss bits don't use a diamond finishing wheel, the metal will ruin the diamond.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/dressing-sticks

Baldor high quality carbide grinder.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gri...AUIEigC&biw=1280&bih=752#imgrc=H-2Sps9fMrtxrM:

Good discussion here on both hss and carbide.
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...l-choices-sharpening-bits-hss-carbide-268465/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True and I suspect your referring to the video. My wood shop teacher was out there put he always made sure we knew what was coming if we didn't set our guards and blade height correctly. To prove this he'd stuff liver in a skin colored rubber glove and show us :eek: o_O :cool:. As for the jig in the video. That guy's brain made it all backward's as to the one I seen made in wood shop. The work should be on the front side so as the blades rotation and pressure from the cutting action keeps the work firm against the jig. Also that guy used his blade to get the diameter wanted rather than having and adjustable pivot point to allow work to be brought down as close the bed of the saw so only just enough blade needed was exposed.

Sporty45, loudbang and j-jock like this.
  21. Mart

Mart

I think he has a problem with his fingers, I don't think he can straighten them properly. Don't move too well at the end either. It's good that he can continue his hobby, though, poor chap.

loudbang likes this.
  22. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Made this tool to pull the pinion bearing and race on a banjo rear. Impact driver shown but I didn't need it.

IMG_1231.JPG

23. When I watched this video, I cringed. I have a 12 inch table saw, radial arm saw, and chop saw, and every time I use these tools, I treat them like they are trying to kill me. I would never cut something in the manner he did. I know too many people that have lost fingers or parts thereof.
    I was in emergency two years ago for an emergency kidney surgery, and while my son and I were waiting for me to be admitted, two people came into emergency with injuries caused by a table saw. One was for a bad cut, and the second for a kickback. A saw of any kind can bite the most experienced user.
    Bob

cretin, loudbang and Jiminy like this.
  24. I couldn't tell. Just curios
    My wife has beautiful hands and long fingers. But she's double jointed and can do some weird stuff with them and bends them in ways that are not normal.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( I believe that the fellow in the video has a bad case of aurtheritis,that will eventually take him away from his hobby.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I didn't really get specific Vicky in my answer, I spose one thing I can say besides keeping the tool sharp (hss dulls easily if too high rpm), chip control, as in curling, rat nesting, etc. is a big problem with HSS bits which generally are consumer ground to shape and can be difficult to include some form of (effective) chip breaker.
    Where as indexed insert style carbide holders usually have a chip breaker stacked on top of the insert, HSS bits do not, nor do cemented carbide tools.
    Not the best shot but here is a small groove ground into a cemented carbide tool to help curl the chip. Carbide requires a special abrasive wheel or diamond because it is so hard. Same can be done on HSS with a regular stone in a die grinder, dremel, etc.
    Chips curl better and are more manageable using lower rpm along with higher feed rates.

20180125_102842.jpg

dirty old man likes this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Probably didn't need the grade 8 bolts either.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As regards sharpening of HSS bits for lathe use, don't recall if it's "Home Shop Machinist" or "Home Machinist", both of which are internet forums, there a series of very good posts, with illustrations, written and posted by a guy with the username of "Harold V." Some of the best tips I've seen on the web on tool sharpening for new owners or users of a lathe.
    As a semi retired machinist who got his training from a man who had been a machinist all his adult and late teens life over 50 years ago, I had to learn how to sharpen key stock to practice before I was allowed to put a HSS tool bit to a grinder wheel:confused:
    Might be worth your while to do a bit of searching for those 2 forumso_O

cretin likes this.
  29. Funny, I've been working across the isle to or within shouting distance of a machine shop my entire life.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And.........