Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Anyone know this year's AMBR contenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sancho, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Eddie Nye, the Science Guy?

2. Nothing is blowing my socks off right now, but so far, I like the light blue '32 and the dark blue '32. I want to see the black '32 that Chad Adams brought a little closer. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday, and as in years past, you have to see them up close and personal in order to really have an opinion on them.

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I guess this year will be the tell tale year if we are in a rut with the high dollar one off hand form bodied cars and continue the trend last year's winner may have started. I figure the Dye is the sentimental favorite (though IMO mismatched hub caps should negate any chance....yah I said it). The 36 definitely caught my eye. And on that note its nice to hear about a car possibly being as close to garage built as the 36. Even back in "the good ol days" everyone had some sort of help. My uncle's roadster was touted as home built and yes he did much of the work and can certainly be credited with its lines and concept, but the truth was it spent time at a body shop, it spent time at the upholsterers, even the local old timer welder helped weld up the modified frame. And a semi known guy at the time painted the car in his mom's back yard converted chicken coupe (Gene Winfield). The general figure thrown around at the time was 5 Grand spent by 1955....kinda big bucks for the time. My point is, since I now get paid for working on cars for a living I have a slightly different take on "store bought" builds. And yes, A LOT of my heart and soul goes into what I work on at my job. But still very proud to tell people as of right now, except for Chip's louvers, I have done 99.9% of my roadster IN MY GARAGE! Good luck to all the contestants.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  4. Here's The Rodder's Journal "Facebook Live" (Thom Taylor) interviews of the 2018 AMBR contenders ...

... Rick Dore's "Shangri-La":

... The POR-15 Deuce Roadster:

... @Deuce Bruce Meyer's "Bob Morris Nickel Car" Deuce Roadster (with @hhrTroy):

... Three more contenders:

... Two more contenders:

... '63 Vette-themed Deuce Roadster:

... "Blackstar" Deuce Roadster:

... Chad Adams Deuce Roadster:

... Pete Aardema's “Porsch-Chalet” '34 Roadster:

... Bill Nash' 1930-31 Roadster:

... The Eddie Dye Roadster (with @Tom Branch):

NOTE: Yes, I'm aware the fish-eye lens used on the first six videos is terrible ... but I still find the audio portion of the interviews very interesting & informative.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Uncle Ronn, Rich B. and 270bob like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one! From the black on black on black matters movement that Larry started. Look forward to seeing more of it. .

6. The interviews were awesome. Thom got some really neat information from the owners. The video......o_O;)

HunterYJ and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Anderson

Anderson

Donut Dave likes this.
  8. Anderson

Anderson

I have to assume that is intentional, being restored to the way it was originally built. Not my favorite look either but it’ll do!

9. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

10. cretin

cretin

I’m looking forward to seeing all the contestants tomorrow. This is the first year in a while I haven’t been there for setup, so I’m excited to get there tomorrow.
    I’ve already heard a lot, but I’ll see when I get there. Beautiful is a relative term, so we will see what happens.
    @hotroddon, very well stated, we got a lot of pushback for the Packard winning last year because it wasn’t a Ford, and it wasn’t a “hot rod”.
    I must have missed where it became “Americas most beautiful Ford hot rod roadster”. I’m also not sure when a supercharged V12 flathead became not hot rod.

I understand that people won’t all agree, but you don’t get to make up your own rules and be mad when those rules aren’t adhered to.
    Interesting that above hand built cars winning are described as being in a “rut”. The cars we all covet are hand built, some just go further then others.

But guys on here will always whine if it wasn’t built in a barn by a “regular” guy. I must have also missed how that factors into the most beautiful roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

XXL__, HunterYJ, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Perhaps someone can tell me. Was the USA-only rule always in force? I seem to recall the award being called the World's Most Beautiful Roadster at one time: did the name actually change or was this a sort of nickname? Were there ever contenders from outside the USA?

12. From our friends at fuel curve logo.jpg :

[​IMG]
    January 26, 2018
    by @John D

FIRST LOOK! 69TH ANNUAL GRAND NATIONAL ROADSTER SHOW!

We have been walking the Grand National Roadster Show (GNRS) floor the past two days during the judging for America’s Most Beautiful Roadster and show set up. As usual, this is the season’s first glimpse of all the fresh hot rods and custom cars as they get set up for a big weekend here in Pomona before the spring and summer event season heats up.

Wednesday’s judging for America’s Most Beautiful Roadster was interesting to say the least! We counted five black roadsters. All very nice but it was refreshing to see some cars with color on them. The field of 15 cars is the largest we have seen here, 14 of which are Ford roadsters. Rick Dore’s “Shangri La” is the only non-Ford in the bunch. Like all of the recent Dore creations, it features a completely coach built aluminum body by Marcel.

Here is a look at all 15 cars going for the AMBR Trophy. Below our AMBR contender gallery are Grand National Roadster Show set up day images showing the depth and variety of this year’s show.

1936 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

This roadster is just plain wicked looking. Built by metal master Dale Boesch in Nebraska, its proportions has been radically wedge sectioned, pie cut and has had three inches removed from the rear quarters. Powered by a Hilborn-injected 392 Chrysler hemi and riding on a custom chassis, it also features a leather interior by Tracy Weaver.

[​IMG]

Ford Model T Roadster
    [​IMG]

Owner built, Dan Hostetter’s San Diego based hot rod is a throwback to the 60s. It was built from thin air – none of it is OEM. Nestled in the custom chassis is a little 241 c.i. Dodge Red Ram Hemi. The steam punk gauge cluster is way cool as is the diamond tuft upholstery. Just a neat little homemade hot rod.

[​IMG]

1934 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

Now this is a roadster with a twist! Engineer Pete Aardema took this little ’34 cabriolet off the Goodguys AutoCross track where it was a perennial winner and made a show car out of it. The blue scheme with fawn leather is pretty. The motor is radical. It’s a big block Chevy with modified Porsche Heads. Say what? Pete is an engineer. You would have to be to make that engine combo work!

[​IMG]

Shangri La
    [​IMG]

This is the latest stunner from the Rick Dore stable. It’s a completely handmade aluminum body by Marcels with a modified Morrison chassis and a Ram Jet Chevy V8 with a custom ‘57 Corvette fuelie style air plenum. Lots of polished brass and the Caddy wires look spot on!

[​IMG]

1930 Ford Model A Roadster
    [​IMG]

Bill Nash’s Santa Monica based Model A roadster is a black beauty. Built by Precision Street Rods & Machines, the frame rails were “flattened” to keep the body lines straight. It runs a mean 383c.i. Chevy with two fours, linked to a turbo hydro 350 with a Speedway Engineering quick change.

[​IMG]

1936 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

Chris Parmelee’s ’36 Ford roadster is really pretty. Cloaked in burgundy, the glass body rides atop a custom tube frame. LS1 power, and the 4L60 E transmission have it set up for the road while a brown leather Ron Mangus interior offers creature comforts. The best part? Chris built the entire car in his Norco, California garage!

[​IMG]

1931 Ford Model A Roadster
    [​IMG]

Out of Scott Bonowski’s Hot Rods & Hobbies stable, David Martin’s ‘31 Model A roadster combines hot rod and vintage race car flair. The Cleveland Blue is arresting while the mustard and red beltline stripe add speedy lines. We especially dig the old school hard aluminum tonneau cover. Under the louvered hood (270 louvers on this car!) is a thumping all-aluminum FI Brodix small block by Ed Pink Racing Engines howling through custom headers. The one off Indy racing style shot peen wheels are by Evod. The red leather was stitched by Mark Lopez, Elegance Auto Interiors.

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

This bitchin’ black ‘32 Ford hiboy Roadster is owner-built. Alan Johnson, of Yuma, AZ is somewhat of a Cadillac Northstar guru and this hot hiboy features a fully dressed & polished Caddy V8. Lots of CNC parts here. The chassis features ASC frame rails then Alan built the rest of chassis. Hi revving shift points are courtesy of a Tremec 5 speed. The Budnik “Gasser” wheels are spot-on as is the black leather interior by Mark Lopez.

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

Started by Don Thelan over 25 years ago, Bruce Meyer’s “Nickel Roadster” features impeccable craftsmanship and yes, plenty of nickel plated parts and pieces. All the So-Cal hot rod heroes had a hand in this car including the Pete Eastwood chassis. Steve Davis and Ron Covell shaped the metal including the removable hard top. Power is from a snarling Gurney/Westlake GT 40 V8 with 48mm IDA Weber carbs. It’s cloaked in black lacquer and the green leather interior is spot on. The drilled sprint car steering wheel (with a machined knock-off center) is pure art. Those are real Halibrand wheels in front, Evod wheels in back shod with Dunlop Racing tires.

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

This candy Burgundy ‘32 Ford hiboy was garage-built by San Jose’s John Leonti. The body was shaped by John himself with a 5” hood-stretch! It rides on a custom TCI chassis with polished IFS. Ron Mangus stitched up the red leather interior. Got rake?

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

From the Chad Adams Hot Rods stable down in Rydal, Georgia, Adams’ latest righteous roadster is bad in black with the perfect stance. Adams is renowned for his chassis business but he builds a better roadster than most. Highlights include a 420hp small block Chevy, deep black paint, Bop Top canvas lid, and a custom tobacco brown interior stitched by Adams and his team. The dash and column are beautiful. Adams clears the surface then “smokes it” with a torch until it “browns up” to his liking. This is a hell of a roadster built for John & Pat Miller

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when a hot rod meets a Corvette Stingray. From the original Corvette 327c.i. V8 (with 9.6:2 compression and camel hump heads) to the Corvette gauges, steering wheel and interior stitching (by M&M Hot Rod Interiors) Sean Black’s Alabama based roadster is rowdy and raked. The Daytona blue is spot on as are the ET III wheels. Neat car!

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

From Riverdale, New Jersey comes Scott Helliesen’s 50s style hot rod roadster. Scott and Jason Anagnostis built the car as a team with the goal of keeping it classic and simple in the mold of the classic McGee roadster. Mission accomplished! They started with rails from Shadow Rods then fabbed up the rest of the underpinnings with a Chassis Engineering X-member. The 258 c.i. Flathead adorned with Offy heads and intake is shifted through a Chevy S10 T5 manual trans with an adapter going to torque tube. Trick! The red is ravishing as is the tan leather interior by Harry Parker. Retro roadster indeed!

[​IMG]

1932 Ford Roadster
    [​IMG]

This sweet Ice Blue hiboy by Cruzer’s Customs is all class. Keeping the color scheme consistent is the dark blue leather interior by Gabriel & Sons. The Edelbrock crate small block Chevy is ready for the road and the bias ply-shod ET Wheels are the perfect choice. It is a Texas car built for Brian Cruz of New Braunfels.

[​IMG]

1929 Ford Model A Roadster
    [​IMG]

Last but one of our favorites is the historic Eddie Dye roadster painstakingly restored by Orange County’s Circle City Hot Rods. It rolled in way late but got inside building 4 just in time for judging. The car is exactly as Gil Ayala built it for Dye in 1951. In 1952 it adorned the cover of Hop Up Magazine. In front of the track nose is the chromed tubular nerf bar. It is channeled over the deuce frame and has a stroked flathead with Evans heads and intake. You might notice the mismatched hubcaps (Ford in front, Merc is back) – that’s the way it was originally shown. The white pleated upholstery is a throwback. Congrats to everyone who pulled off this bitchin’ restoration.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Uncle Ronn, brad2v, TerrytheK and 5 others like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought the rules state they had to be roadsters, no side glass. A cab has door windows. They weld them shut?

14. LuckySumbich

LuckySumbich
    from Mesa, AZ

My guess is that they filled the tops of the doors. Obviously it meets the rules of eligibility.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    HEMI32 likes this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx so much for the pix and car specs. Gary

16. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The Eddie Dye roadster, the Dollar a Pound Hotsetter roadster and Cruzer's Customs built roadster are hard to choose from. Ric Dore's latest is admirable, but damn it reminds me of an overgrown Morgan +8!

brad2v likes this.
  17. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Pictures and text were spot on Todd..........

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all for the pics, links and info. The profile photos of the AMBR contenders are especially appreciated. Being a judge can't be an easy job...

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Thanks for the pictures and explanations. My personal sentimental favorite is the Nebraska built black 36 roadster crafted by Dale Boesch. It probably won't win but I've seen it from the beginning.