Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Washed the 80's UGLY away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Jan 23, 2018.

1. To me the car looks fine,it's not flat black and has some sheen so cleaning it shouldn't be a problem. HRP

2. Looks good
    The original body colour was nice but the two tone brown with the genders and pin stopping was “ meh”
    I would loose the orange wheels otherwise think it looks better in black.

When you said 80’s I was picturing teal with pink scallops
    Boyd wheels
    And a fuzzy fur interior !!!

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Actually guys, that original version is "Early Times" style, which I think there is a thread on. If it was from the 70's.
    It probably sported some Crager or Dayton Wire wheels at the time. It also looks like it slowly morphed into something you would see at anytown USA goodguys show. Thus the pop bright color wheels. I would drive it just like it was, if it were mine.
    It does have an "evolution" going on. All our cars here change over the years. In 10 years we will see a guy buy this car and will be putting it back to what it was in the 70's

Da34guy,
    Tell the new owner to not forget the whitewalls and red steelies.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Blues4U and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Early Times"? You mean, "Retro Rod"?

5. Fred,I think he is referring to the Early Times CC style,more resto rod of the late 70's early 80's. HRP

wvenfield and olscrounger like this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ah..... okay.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

I still don't know what the heck a retro rod is, but most cars I've seen described that way I don't care for. Flat black has been beat to death with the so called " traditional" cars built from scratch with old parts, but like they say " the customer's always right" ( especially if they pay the bill!)

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. What, he couldn't afford six cans of flat black spray paint from Walmart? Would've been cheaper than paying someone to do it.

9. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

It's satin and looks like a nice even clean job, try that with just 6 cans or just with cans period on that much surface.

sent from my toilet

da34guy likes this.
  10. Graystoke

Graystoke

I always thought orange was your color, Don. :)

da34guy likes this.
  11. looks better without the doo doo brown

dan31 likes this.
  12. ratrod0

ratrod0

That car was painted in 1978, done the world of wheels shows in the south for years. Then set in a garage for ever, then it sold 3 years ago got updated enough to drive around two shows. Then sold 2 to 3 weeks ago

clem and da34guy like this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Why? That would be like doing an American Graffite clone !:)

Blue One likes this.
  14. He's gonna put unpolished Salt Flats on it Danny

15. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had known how true this really is when I bought my 40 tudor. I went over it pretty well and thought it was a really straight body. Even my friend in the business thought it would be a piece of cake to refinish. Its been a nightmare.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I prefer the original yellowish color. That looked great!

Squablow and wvenfield like this.
  17. Sure are a lot of style experts on thread...........

Cosmo49, clem, da34guy and 1 other person like this.
  18. You don't need to be an expert on style, whatever that means. But everyone has their own opinion, and every one is valid.

wvenfield likes this.
  19. wvenfield

wvenfield

I am the utmost expert on my opinion.

King ford and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Had many Orange 1's, now just my Washington Blue 5 window and my Grey roadster.

21. clem

clem

Thanks for taking the time to post.

22. I would of lost the root beer brown fenders and painted them something tasteful, lost the orange wheels and called it good. The tannish/cream sure looked better to me then another blitz black rod....

Squablow likes this.
  23. k9racer

k9racer

Tell every one that it is Radar absorb paint. I shot some of it on 4 cars and 2 motor cycles about 35 to 40years ago. Worked real good. Pissed off a lot of cops. It was Gov surplus they used it on black bird C130 planes. I think the car looks great. It looks better than any thing I own .If you still had it for sale I would be talking to you.

24. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I may as well add my opinion too. The creamy yellow was fine, I'd have put gloss black on the fenders and wheels and figured it was just fine.
    BTW, rattle can black is also available in semi-gloss. NAPA stores even have it in acrylic enamel. Paint it in the driveway on an overcast 50 degree day when the bugs are too stiff to fly (like I am most of the time, haha) and you will have time to keep it wet and it will flow nicely. That NAPA paint also comes with a fan style nozzle.
    I guess I should also say that the semi-gloss black on my avatar car is brushed on enamel from the 50's. My dad bought that car with that paint on it in 1954. Cost him a one week paycheck, 96 dollars and change.

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Flame it and it goes for a Home Run !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

da34guy likes this.
  26. Bravo!
    Ya made the right move killing that doo doo brown paint. Looked like those wretched brown, avacado appliances ya see in houses of the same 70's-80's era.
    Car looks serious now!

da34guy likes this.
  27. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Now it looks late 1999 . When every thing had to be flat black. It looked better before. Maybe just a wheel color change would of been enough

Squablow likes this.
  28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, it'd be interesting if this thread had a poll which looked better.

It's kinda meh now.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Squablow and nochop like this.
  29. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Either color on the rod is fine. My question relates to whether that is a before or after picture of the dog in the booth?

da34guy likes this.
  30. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Hey 911 Steve,you have any more of those in your Avitar available out there in Nebraska?...she looks good in her original finish!

tofords likes this.