Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hole punch or hole saw

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Jan 24, 2018.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

Building a gauge panel for the willys with SW gauges out of 1/4 inch aluminium so need to punch holes,,so I need to get a cutter or knock out punch. I do have a set of greenlee knock out punches BUT they are for electrical conduit size. What do you use,,,,recomendations or suggestions, thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I have used both knock outs like you have or a hole saw. The knockouts will bend the hell out of your panel. The hole saw will not, but you may have to take your dremmel and a sandpaper barrel and relieve the hole a little bit.

Bandit Billy, Poh and olscrounger like this.
  3. Make sure you clamp the panel to a piece of wood when drilling to hold it in place,don't ask me how I learn to do this. HRP

4. i'd use a hole saw for that

5. BJR

BJR

1/4" thick use a hole saw for sure, and do as HRP said.

6. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks beaner I guess in the back of my mind I new that, just had to ask, have used hole saws in the past and had poor results mind ya they were poor quality crap.

7. 1/4" material (even aluminum) is too thick for a hole punch; use a hole saw. I'd also recommend doing it in a drill press with the material clamped down to keep saw 'wander' to a minimum.

Terrible80 likes this.
  8. blackanblue

blackanblue

Who makes a quality hole saw.

9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hole saw for sure. If you drill a couple of 1/2" holes just on the inside edge of the hole you are cutting, it gives the shavings a place to go.

belair likes this.
  10. Lennox, Greenlee, and Milwaukee in order of quality. You'll probably have to special-order the sizes you need. If you want a very precise hole, a Rotabroach will do a cleaner hole but won't be cheap.

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I prefer Lenox hole saws, they're well made and last!
    I would use a lubricant made for aluminum with the hole saw.
    KK

pitman likes this.
  12. blackanblue

blackanblue

I check my aluminum stock not 1/4 it's 3/16 my bad, not that it makes that much difference.

13. pitman

pitman

There is a cutting fluid that may help. Al likes to weld to teeth when pushed.

14. 3/16 is doable with a hole punch (a hydraulic version), but finding the right size punch will be the trick...

15. blackanblue

blackanblue

I will check the lenox hole saws at a place near me I don't mind paying for good tools that last.

16. blackanblue

blackanblue

I have used candle wax when drilling al in a pinch, but I don't think it would cut it with a hole saw( pun intended )

17. I usually cut aluminum dry, but you need to keep the tool speed down. Again, a drill press works best. Use your shopvac to remove chips.

18. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks Steve I just checked and the biggest punch ( greenlee ) I have is inch and 3/4 so holesaw it is with my drillpress.

19. Greenlee makes specialty punches for gauges/meters, but they're big bucks.

The other thing I'd do is when selecting hole saw size, go under by a 1/16" if you can, then hand finish to size.

20. indyjps

indyjps

When using a hole saw, drill your pilot, then use a solid rod the same size in the hole saw, cuts down on wandering / wallowing out of the pilot. Drill press makes a big difference too.

rod1 likes this.
  21. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

ATF works great to clean hole saw while drilling aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

belair likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The solid pilot and the plywood backup works very well. WD 40 is a good lube for aluminum. IMG_7238.JPG

Doctorterry likes this.