Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Give OP more credit than that. The whole purpose of the photo is to show that the fuel line has to screwed into the sending via a inverted flare nut and if he changes the size of the line adapters would be required. Or worst yet. The fitting's would be cut off and a piece of fuel hose would be used to join the two hard lines together.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’m a couple steps ahead of you guys. The only soft line on the whole car will be the loop around to the front of the fuel pump. I’m gonna run an inside line, 5/16” with an adapter for my 3/8” sending unit. I’m not going to even think about exhaust right now. It’ll be a week or 2 before i get my fuel line delivered so expect a wait again but then i’ll do a ton of work all at once. As soon as i get it running i’m gonna rip the carpet out and change out the shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chevy57dude and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:):cool:. Often one needs to be very clear about things because others (that only search for info) read these threads as well and may have no idea other wise.

4. We cannot read your mind grasshopper. We are only trying to help you down the path that leads to driving your car safely and economically. Patience and understanding. You are learning and doing well and are along the path very near the end of this adventure.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Caine: No.
    Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
    Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Won't get to work on the car this weekend, i did get a text from my mom saying she got home to the garage door being open today, must have been unlocked but someone was in there. The ADT guys will be there tomorrow. she said nothing looked messed with but i want to be sure.

I joined a club at school this week that's building a formula style car, and although it's not traditional it's certainly what hot rodding is about. They said they needed people to help rebuild the engine which is a 4 cyl bike engine so the engineering students can install a custom built turbo setup. I of course told them I'd be glad to help. The car will be competing nationally next summer, we just started building the frame and cage this week and will be ordering the motor soon. I'm pretty excited to get to be around other younger people who like the same things I do.

7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Formula SAE competition? I did independent study designing a dry sump setup for one of them in college. Most did it for their senior design project, but I did my own designing a wiring harness for our business.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. My son did formula SAE when he was in school (UNCC). I went to Detroit for the competition. It was very interesting.

9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

The college I went to builds a whole new car from scratch every year. Like I said it's senior design project, so students have to find the money and all to build it. Western AU and a few other big schools always bring the same cars for 3-4 years and most have unlimited budgets where ours was usually $30,000.00.

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yup Formula SAE. Our old car was about $13,000 scratchbuilt, we're building a new one for next summer so it'll take a bit longer to build

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

****You should do a Google search for customer satisfaction with ADT. It's NOT good! We had used them for 20 years or so, and they NEVER checked with us or anything; they just kept billing for their "service". When I wised up and cancelled them, they continued to bill us for 2 more months; and I fought them tooth and nail about it Look into another security firm.**** I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Love living in middle of nowhere, never lock anything. Didn't even have keys to my house until this year.

RaginPin3Appl3 and wvenfield like this.
  13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

What's the deal with these outrageous shipping costs? My new fuel line isn't going to ship out until february 12th because I didn't want to get gouged from shipping. I priced a new line at Summit, Ecklers, Danchuck, Jegs, and Ebay. At Danchuck, Ecklers, and ebay the shipping was more than the cost of the fuel line which was around $50 at all places. Danchuck wanted to charge me SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS to ship it, I ended up ordering from summit since if you have an order over $100 shipping is free so i ordered a couple other things I needed anyway. Sucks I won't be able to do much with it until then, total bullshit but at least I'm not paying $75 to ship it. rant over.

Clay Belt and Doctorterry like this.
  14. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

At this point i might as well soak my old cruddy fuel line in vinegar and see how it comes out.

Doctorterry likes this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

If the fuel line you ordered is pre-bent, pre flared, ready to bolt on then you are paying for oversized shipping. If it had been me, I would have bought a 25' roll of tubing, probably the nicopp stuff, a mixed selection of the size flare nuts needed, and a flaring tool capable of doing inverted flares, for close to the same amount as you spent. You then could have made your own fuel line (and brake lines later cuz you know your gonna hafta!) AND had a tool that would last you a lifetime if used properly and taken care of. This is how tools and a garage full of supplies comes about!:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I understand the way this sounds when you are taking on your first car but I would have made the fuel line for that kind of money.

17. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

If it is prebent fuel line the box it comes in is huge! I ordered fuel and brake line for my 61 Galaxie and had to shop around for a decent shipping price. They charge by the volume of the box it is shipped in.

RMONTY likes this.
  18. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Try any parts store for 6ft lengths of tube,that and a union or two your golden. The tubing is pre double flared for brakes and fuel. Way cheaper than pre bent. Probably less than 25 bucks.

RaginPin3Appl3 and Johnny Gee like this.
  19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I’ll definitely be bending my own brake lines when the time comes. I did get a little work done today, as soon as the new fuel line is in i’ll be installing the gas tank, i’ve got the sending unit and vent hose attatched. I also cleaned up some wiring under the hood. I was curious about CLR cleaning up rusted over paint and unfortunately my paint is too far gone. I did a couple spots on the trunk and the paint that was under the rust was pitted to bare metal all over the place, this is gonna take a lot of filler primer and sanding when i actually paint it

20. I'm running the OG fuel line in my '59 Ford and its 5/16". I looked it over and blew it out with lacquer thinner and compressed air,

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I was going to mention this "again" but after looking the line up in a old danchuck catalogue and seein the original style equipment like you were wanting was only around 50 bucks, maybe only 25 bucks higher than what I did, I decided not to. sorry about the wait, hopefully the other stuff you bought to dodge the shipping gouge will make it worth the wait.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

yeah it was things i definitely needed to make the car roadworthy, i got a cheap roll of soft fuel line for the ends, a battery hold down and the bolts for it since mine are missing and i also picked up a glass fuel filter, had good reviews and said it was made in usa so why not.

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

looking at prices for the too,s i'd need plus the fittings for the ends of the fuel line, it would have only been about $10 cheaper, you've gotta remember i have to buy any tool that's automotive specific, i've got tons of wrenches and sockets and drivers but nothing automotive.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just read your thread all the way through. I was cleaning out my shop for my move to Tn and found a complete deluxe weatherstrip kit 55-57 4 door for the windows. Cost is 185.00 from Ecklers. It yours for the shipping so I don't have to pack it. PM me if you want it and I will get you a shipping cost.

25. Budget36

Budget36

Wow.. His fuel pressure is way lees than 20 PSI...hose clamps have been the standard for...how long?...Why is anyone bringing up inverted flares?

12-15 feet of line...and a few clamps, job would be done.

Pre-bent line. Hmmn.

When was the last time anyone looked at a fuel line inside a frame rail and said "wow, nice straight pre-bent line you have there."

Ragin...you yanked and engine and stuffed another one in all by yourself...the rest isn't rocket science;)

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Wow! He has no brakes! That's why! :rolleyes:

flatford39 likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Said he was doing brakes later...I'm talking about the fuel line.

Besides, I can guarantee you can run all new metal brake lines without the use of a flaring tool...as long as you can add numbers like...56 +22= 78...but the lines available are 55 and 26...= 81. Hmmmn...service loop/bend work?...yes it does.

And yes, I'd just pull off my roll and flare it...but perfect "fit to length" is not needed for a driver.

28. chubbie

chubbie

Wow this always happens when someone needs some help. YOU DONT NEED PREBENT FUEL LINE auto parts store grab some 5/16 or 3/8 brake line bend it over your head and hose and clamp it on.

29. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I Buy from Sam's Chevy Parts in Moline, Il. Cheap shipping and usually ships out the same day. Here is his #309-797-1957 I got my fuel and rear brake line next day, good luck

30. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

You can buy a 25' roll of aluminum fuel line from Summit for less than $20 bucks. Easy to bend. Use rubber and clamps at the ends.

1964countrysedan likes this.