Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Anyone know this year's AMBR contenders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sancho, Jan 20, 2018.

1. cretin

cretin

No, just some very minor changes and clean up. I really don't know why its eligible, and wondered why myself, just know it's going.

2. I was under the impression that the roadster had to be a first time shown at the GNRS.
    But the last year or so there were AMBR contenders that had been in the show before.
    I guess if you pay the 400 or 500 dollars to enter the AMBR competition that's the new eligibility.

Mick

loudbang likes this.
  3. I don't think that has never been the case. There have been multiple two time winners in the past dating back to the 50's. In fact the same car won the Ridler one year and the most beautiful roadster the next in 2006-7.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    brad2v likes this.
  4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

The "Bob Morris" roadster has never been shown anywhere! Sure, it's been around for 20+ years, but it's never been shown, so it's eligible ! & no it's not being restored, it is getting a good detailing & a wheel / tire change. I was at the detailers on Saturday, checking on the car, it has really held up well.
    I'm kind of partial to it, I did a lot of work on it ! I have to sit out from judging this year, because this.

HEMI32, David Gersic, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  5. Has there been more than one Nickel roadster by Bob Morris? He had a car competing in 2015 that was called the nickel roadster different car?

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Different car. I don't believe Bob Morris has ever shown a car at GNRS. I judged in 2015.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Good to know. Was the other just a tribute to Bob's car as I am sure I heard the name brought up about the car in 2015?

8. Anderson

Anderson

Who woulda thunk?? Well that’s cool. I simply assumed that the car would have been at many judged shows in its life.

I believe the wording of the rule is the car cannot have competed in any other judged show. Last year I’m pretty sure it was still on the books. And my guess is that such a rule was put in place after other competitors complained when the Ala Kart won the second time.

I don’t have any problem with the “rules” or when they make exceptions. Mostly just curious.

loudbang likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pete
    Not that I'm qualified but I'd gladly carry that ball for you, the original Morris car was "it" in my eyes the first time I saw it on the R&C cover with the black T bird.
    And not only because of its overall appearance but of the workmanship of you and Allen Jennings and the various components used, top shelf in my book.
    It was this very car that inspired me to have all the plating on my car done in nickel instead of chrome.

10. There have been other multiple winners after the Ala Kart and as I mentioned the same car won the Ridler in 2006 and then the AMBR in 2007.

11. metalman

metalman

I believe that's the rule to compete for the Ridler but not AMBR. There was a rule if a car won it could not compete a second year unless it was changed to the point it didn't appear the same car. Least that's what Ermie Irmmerso (spelling?) told me why he redid his little roadster completely. Of course my info is 20+ years out of date, that's how long it's been since they priced me out of playing in those circles!

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  12. Anderson

Anderson

Direct from their website, for clarification.
    So, anyone have any sneak peaks or inside news on other cars competing?

loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The "Candy Man" 'T' won twice, as I recall... couldn't believe it, but...

14. Thanks I just googled it looks like the rule changed in 2011 when the other judging rules changed.

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Pete,
    I remember you doing some very unique chassis work to that car when it was in yours & Birdie’s shops in Monrovia. Steve Davis did some incredible work as well.
    Will Don Thelen’s “Buffalo Motor Cars” get the credit for the build?
    I’m not sure but wasn’t Neal East’s Roadster there around the same time in Birdie’s as well, and that Lime Green Roadster in the background was there just about a year before.

You’ve had a hand in some pretty important builds and you’ve been a part of my 34 as well.
    The BM Nickle 32 has had some pretty important owners as well. Bob Morris of course then somewhere along the lines, Tim Allen, Bob Everts and I presume presently Bruce Myers? CDFAD303-8F53-49E8-8749-61E7815AC5E1.png
    I’m hoping that the wheels will be like the way it was when built. It always was something that I believed that Doane would’ve built then if he’d have even more time in front of him. Totally Timeless!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. cretin

cretin

The rule was that it had to be the first time it competed. Although a couple years ago there was a one year exception for some reason.

I heard that, but thought there was no way that could be the case. Clearly I was wrong.
    That car really has held up well, I've had the pleasure of being all over it the last few weeks and it's in great shape and really well built. Anyone involved with that build should be proud.
    I was going to be there Saturday helping, but couldn't because of a prior engagement, wish I was there, I would have loved to meet you.

There was a car that was inspired by the car that I remember competing in recent years, although I think it had a stainless roof?

I assumed that as well. Like I said above, I'm pretty sure that was the rule too, but they made an exception a couple years ago when the Magnuson car competed again.

Correct, the current owner is Bruce Meyer. The wheels have been a debate, I agree they should be back like the way it was built, I'm not sure where it landed exactly with the wheels. I'll find out when I see them tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Stogy, loudbang and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  17. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Hi, I believe that the Nickel Roadster photo was from the 75th Anniversary of the Deuce display that was in separate building at the 2007 Grand National Roadster Show. —Steve

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rule reads "first time JUDGED" meaning the first time it is in a show with judging sheets and actual judges and not individual, club or group picks. Meaning in simple terms you can get the HAMB pick at Lone Star and still be eligible and copacetic for entry in GNRS. The list of cars that have competed for the AMBR and have been displayed or shown somewhere before is an extremely short one in the past 40 years though.
    At any rate we should be seeing photos of this years entries in the next couple of days as our inside photographers snap them as they show up at the event.

loudbang and cretin like this.
  19. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

The AMBR cars get judged mid day, on Wednesday, so pictures should start showing up soon after.

Stogy, cretin and K13 like this.
  20. uncle buck

uncle buck

I believe the previous nickel roadster mentioned was actually entered as the triple nickel roadster. If my memory is correct owned by Gene Hetland and it had an unusual / experimental 32 valve small block Ford engine. Mike McKennett did some of the build and Paul Reichlin the upholstery.

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I just saw an email from the Rodders Journal that they are going to have a live feed/stream thing on Facebook tomorrow at 11 PST from the GNRS.
    I don't do Facebook at all but it looked like if you went to their page that there should be some information about it.
    upload_2018-1-23_8-45-2.png

22. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

I guess who cares? These cars are built out of love. These shops employ many passionate people, and who cares if somebody swinging a wallet comes in. In my eyes that gives a team of people the chance to do what they love for a living.

sota, Used Up Junk, woodz and 5 others like this.
  23. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Exactly! And those of us with shallower pockets get to borrow ideas for free.

XOFMOT, dan31, clem and 4 others like this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I think this is right. There is a 32 coming from Georgia and also one coming from Alabama.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The contenders are all parked in the same area with large signs indicating they are one of the AMBR contenders, and a sign like this one next to the car:
    IMG_9150.jpg

hotroddon likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. The last time I went all I knew was they were all in the same building.

28. Here's the restored Eddie Dye Roadster from the Rodder's Journal, when it was still in bare metal. Bummed I can't make it this year for the first time in many years. It sounds like there is going to be another solid group of traditional cars.
    eddie.jpg

ls1yj and TRJ like this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the past few years I have been lucky enough to be around an photograph three former AMBR contenders a number of times both at the Portland Roadster show and outside events in the PNW. Although the owner of the best known one owns a shop the other two were built by guys who are primarily meticulous builders doing it in their home garage. All three had thousands of hours put in them taking care of minute details that most of us just don't take the time to do simply because they don't show unless you know where you are looking. Many things like grinding all of the casting marks off a flat head block and getting it so smooth it makes a high dollar piece of porcelain look rough in comparison are things that many rodders say shouldn't be done because they claim it might affect the cooling or give some other reason. More hours in slicking off a banjo rear axle assembly than some guys have in their complete build. Yes if you have to pay for those hours and those skills you had better have damned deep pockets.
    I don't knock the guys who have a pro shop build a car especially to compete for the AMBR or Riddler. That keeps rodders working at a lot of levels. Many of those cars have had a Hamber involved at some level be it building a small piece of the suspension, doing the work on the chassis or body or in other elements. Meaning that someone on here got a paycheck because of that particular car being built.

AndersF, cretin, ls1yj and 1 other person like this.
  30. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Speaking of roadsters and the latest Rodder's Journal, I personally can't wait to see if the "Dollar a Pound" Henning and Rich designed car, which has finally been duplicated, enters the running.

TRJ likes this.