Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is 426 Street Wedge worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Intakes are so easy to change on 'em, I told him to break it in with one 4 bbl. He sold the car before we put the crossram on.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a prototype I worked on in '01???:confused:
    That's "yours truly":rolleyes: in the picture... I brought in one of my Holley carbs to check the bolt pattern..

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Mopar baby enough said....

4. Deuces

Deuces

5. Well I sure appreciate all the info guys. I talked to my buddy and told him of the number locations, valve cover bolt number and such and he said he would get back at me tomorrow. I will keep you informed for sure. This thread sure turned into a cool one!

Thanks again,
    Hack

6. Wait....wasn't a 426 wedge an old motor when the 427 side what ever Ford came out? And was that about or before the 64 Daytona 500????

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. Still the one to beat in A stock Auto.
    How did those hemis get in here? I thought we were talking about wedges. I have had both.
    426 MW was produced right up to just before Daytona 64 when the 426 hemi debued. Later it was the big motor in Street form till the 440 block replaced it but from 65 on it was the street wedge version which is more like the 440. Didnt have the MAX Wedge heads or the stiff cam and had moderate compression. Like the 440 the 426 street wedge was /is a relaible performance street motor.
    A 440 can be put into MAX WEDGE mode with a set of heads andintake and cam. Pistons are readily avaialbe in almost any ratio you would like. The 440 when built with some thought is the most powerful motor per $ spent. If you miss the 426 deal but want the power that is another alternative. AND I dont mean $$$$$$$$$$$$$crate motor or famous race shop $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$motor I mean homebuilt or local built , low $ hi power reliable HP able to hold its own anywhere and run forever and a day.
    Don
    aut of OLD RELIABLE the 440 book.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I love these threads about early Muscle Car engines.So much is stories with very little fact to back them up.The only consistent info left is the road tests in the magazines. Yeah,I know the tests were often bias,many times the cars were tuned by dealers before the road test guys got them....But it's what we got....Looking through the dozens of old magazines like Car & driver,Car Life ,Motor Trend etc, a 64 426 Street Wedge runs in the 14.5 second range in the 1/4 mile.Many of these test results are available on line. This compares closely with other cars of the era.Yes,on shitty traction tires but they all had shitty tires ,except for some tests with slicks.

10. also if it needs a rebuild the bearings are all b / rb stuff but the pistons can be hard to come by if I remember correctly, if the motors out, put it on a tire and ground pop it.

11. guys its easy to get dollar signs in your eyes over a 426. unless it has on the id pad in real big letters mp 426 its just a street wedge. the max wedge blocks also had a 1/2 inch oil pick up tube. they came with a deeper pan that had a special shape in the front to clear the k-frame. special rods and cranks were also used.deep groove pullies were part of the package also.3447 carbs for 62 and 63 3705 for 64 the rear ends 8 3/4 were more narrow than regular rears. there was also two different compression ratios available this was done with the pistons. all cams were 3-bolt. iron upswept headers were also on these monsters. other little known parts like the water pump and balancer were also different. all these parts have part or casting numbers on them. so if this engine does not have all these parts it may just be a street engine with heads and a manifold thrown on. if that is the case the price just went way down. its rare to find one all intact. to find these parts separate is very costly. most people see the intake and heads and wrongly assume they have a max wedge. sure 440 parts interchange but its the real deal that brings the real cash.

12. thanks Don - Dolmetsch - always good to hear your story/input....

Lawrence

13. jmetz1969

jmetz1969
    from brandon SD

I was givin a (426 st/max wedge) 2532xxx-2 #'s are ground off the block..Why don't know..Has a 1/2 pickup tube..And the rods look bigger than a 440..very rusty so will take some time till I get at the rods..Date 0n the block is 9-21-64 a 7R on the p-side front of the block and a R3 on the back d-side..And 5..5 stagered on the top ID block..This thing has been sitting for 30+ years..Any help would be great..Thanks and is there any were else the #'s are stamped

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    ironrodder likes this.
  14. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

It's funny you mention your block has last bit of numbers ground off...my 64 block has them ground flat also. And has factory paint down in ground down areas so looks done at factory. Have had a few older guys say sometimes if they dealer replaced engines they'd grind off numbers to show was replaced (original engine). Who knows?

15. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

I have a street wedge block sitting in my shop..Easy tell is if it has reliefs notched into the cylinders..thats a max wedge thing and not done on the street wedge. Date will be casted on the side of the block and raised pad will be stamped. AAQA has been casted on the front of every 413/426 wedge I have ever seen..max wedge or street wedge..My block is a casting date of 1963 and the pad is stamped V for 64. Street wedge is turquoise and Max wedge is orange. Street wedge will have chrome valve covers and a large unsilenced chrome air cleaner for the single 4bbl. A 440 will not have the AAQA on the front of the block..

16. Jack Foshee

Jack Foshee
    from taylor az.

Hi, I am trying to find as much info as I can on the nascar wedge to prove to NHRA that it was real. Anything you can help me with would be really helpfu thx, Jack

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

18. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Very interesting post! I got a brand new '65 Plymouth Belvedere I, 383, Torqueflight from my parents as a graduation present from high school. A friend of mine had a '64 Belvedere II with a street 426 & a 4 speed. We raced & I blew his doors off! Several cars links...

19. Your buddy didn't know how to drive a 4 speed then. Probably side stepping the clutch and granny shifting.:D

20. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Did Hackman say what kind of cross ram ? Could even be a Chrysler cross ram. Might be a slant 6. Just kidding about the 6. To vague.

21. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a few more from the "Cruise"..... IMG_20150815_121325.jpg IMG_20150815_121412.jpg IMG_20160819_133349.jpg IMG_20160819_132610.jpg IMG_20150815_121217.jpg IMG_20160819_132628.jpg

22. You were much younger then!:D 131734275958817.jpg ..........weren't we all!:(

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  23. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

real max oil pans can go fore $2000 and air cleaners arnt cheep

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

after the Hemi was outlawed fore NASCAR Pettey braised up the extra holes in the deck serfes and mounted weg heads on the hemi short blocks buddy had one go threw his shop nice pice went to franc to the Olympia beer nascar charger

26. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah I was....:(
    Can't believe my arms were that hairy.... Yikes!o_O:confused::eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. A true nascar wedge block was very different. Its sides looked like a waffle. There were raised ribs to provide extra strength. A friend has one.

28. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Was to resurrect a 6 year old thread

caseyajones likes this.