Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Here’s a crappy pic of one Hilton’s coupes. A trunk shot of the tank and hose and you can see the cap mounted in this rear shot if you zoom in. That’s where I’m putting mine except on the driver’s side.
    Hope that helps.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Things I'm looking for. No good or bad, just preference, but pro's/con's. Always seem's after the fact so to speak. Is that Gem vented?(cap)....?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

No it’s not vented. The tank is vented. Came with the tubing and a one way valve for the vent.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Thanks- Info to be aware of. Depending on tank,=I like yours, and might do the same, becomes the Q of filler location.....Can always vent from the tank, or filler tube if needed.
    One again=Thanks. I wont clog your thread with stuff...... Carry on with the fine job your doing, as I'm watching!

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ya no worries. I have searched for pics of guys mounting them on the quarter but I haven’t been able to find that many. Most of the ones I’ve found seem to be 32’s where the profile on the quarter is spaced differently. I would like to see pics where guys have done it on A’s

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the Crafty B cap, he does some amazing things! I have a few of his creations. The trick with a cap mounted that high is I have always heard that the vent should be higher than the cap (or vented cap).
    Great build so far.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Me three James. Here's a few pics I have been accumulating for when I attack this issue. There is a hell of a lot a contour going every which direction on top of those quarters. 11GasFiller04S.jpg fullsizeoutput_be.jpeg gdg10.jpg

mgtstumpy, brEad, Dino 64 and 4 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The roadster has significantly more real estate on that panel as beautiful as that whole last installation is including the cap. The quarter still ends up most sensible place albiet a challenge like all the others...I remember a coupe maybe Bass's that had reworked the panel out and the trunk lid modded to allow the panel mod. Ton of work but looked pretty cool.

Thanks @31chevymike for confirming what I was thinking...a pic with a link and the author of the mettalic sculpture

7031058979_0b9db39753_b.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...upe-build-thread-photo-journal.336494/page-24

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    mgtstumpy, brEad, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I agree with Stogy, the quarter panel is a challenging install as there is not a lot of real estate. I have seen the pics where someone put it in the middle top of the deck lid which i like the look of. good things to discuss with the body guy when we roll it down.

Dino 64, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Indeed, that builder who placed the fuel cap in the center above the trunk lid is Brian Bass on the Wade Model A Coupe. LOVE that hot rod!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dino 64, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ya i thought that was the car. I will google it and see if i can find some pics. I thought he had some youtube videos of the build.

Stogy, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

The Wade Coupe thread is here: The Wade Model A Coupe: Build Thread & Photo Journal. The fuel cap installation is on page 24. Crazy installation though, Bass notched the trunklid to pull this off. He finished this because the fuel tank filler neck is directly in the center and connects right above to the fuel cap.

Dino 64, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted the link to that build back a few posts with a pic of the cap with a T-shirt...

Just an observation on that Blue coupe...while the quarter install is cool and it looks fine the base to the quarter almost looks and may be grey plastic. If it was me albeit a challenge I might have an aluminum mount with a gasket to the quarter to protect the surface as plastic is a little newish looking.

Anyhow...have fun Fitness...decisions, decisions...;)

Dino 64, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes I remember seeing it before and spent some time looking at it yesterday. My take sits straight in the middle as well. After some debate I am gonna try my hand at this route as well as long as Brian didn’t patent the install! Ha ha I printed off the pics of each basic step. Making the piece that the cap itself lands on is not that hard. Getting the decklid notched and that all lined up will be a little more challenging but what’s life without a challenge! With the height of my tank, frenching the cap on the quarter would make the cap sit below the fill hole on the tank so no bueno.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is going to look purdy spiffy...

Fitness I was just reaching from the side over to the center on the ole Sporty here...its a long reach. I am of the opinion Bass accessed this filler from the back. When I fill up the Hotrod I watch for fuel backup as it has. All cars fill differently but you would have trouble seeing it in the center so far away. You might want to consider the Bass setup your thinking but offset it to one side or the other perhaps a few inches from the corner so you can have visual and ease of reach.

It would still look fantastic even offset.

Just thinking out loud my friend...;)

loudbang, Fitnessguy and 31chevymike like this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Welllllllllll Bam! Here’s an afternoon of work! I decided to go square instead of round like bass so it matches the straight lines of the decklid. Took my time with the layout. Happy with how it turned out. I will leave the notching of the decklid to my body guy! He can sweat that part! Ha ha I don’t profess to be Mr. Bass but I think it turned out not bad for a home built hot rodder.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey thats a great job there Fitness...;)...and revisiting Bass's craftsmanship is quite remarkable. He is definately a force of all things Hotrod.

Backing up my thought to you I produce this without even a flame or smell of burnt skin annnywhere...:D

Reposition.jpg

Credit to Hamber @Bass

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man. Looks good off to the side as well. Will have to decide which way to go.

20. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Great idea and nice work I am going to use this for mounting cap on the roof of my sedan.

mgtstumpy, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Nice fab work on your fuel cap - guess it comes down to how high your fuel tank is to determine the design of the filler tube, whether it has room to bend at the proper degree if you decide to mount on the driver's side as Stogy suggests.

loudbang, Stogy and Dino 64 like this.
  22. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Next item on the agenda... a little custom hold down plate for the shifter and e brake boots. Used my new slip roller to put the curve in the plate. Sure is nice having the right tools!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

mgtstumpy, brEad, wackdaddy and 5 others like this.
  23. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Looking good!!!

Fitnessguy likes this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Well no turning back now! Coupe went to the bodyshop today for bodywork and paint. It's my friend's bodyshop so i will actually be helping a lot with the work which will be good to get some knowledge on that end of the biz anyways. Excited and nervous all at the same time. Taking cash donations from anyone willing... :D Ready for this
    next big step!

IMG_4594.JPG IMG_4596.JPG IMG_4597.JPG

25. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I’ve already donated 2 cents to your project when it came to your dash...now you want more??:D:cool:

Stogy and brEad like this.
  26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You had that beautiful bare steel body in the Canadian weather !?

Best of luck with the paint. I’m sure having a friend in the biz will guarantee a great result.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I always want more!! I have taken a page from the millennials! Ha ha

Stogy likes this.
  28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ah it’s cold and dry right now so took advantage to slip it down. The shop is less than 5 minutes from my house. Ya pretty excited to see some colour squirted

Dino 64 likes this.