Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. You have done a lot of amazing work there John, I wish you much success. I look forward to meeting you out on the salt this year.

loudbang and deucemac like this.
  2. Thank you Tim I look forward to meet you as well.
    I have a question for you ( window net) what do you have on your truck? Also what fire system do you have? Some photos of how you mounted things would be a great help to me, like battery, Fuel tank, fire system, window net, . I don't want to come all that way and not pass tech. I understand they are very strict on rookies.
    Do you attend both Speed Week and World finals. which is the better of the two?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't forget metal valve stem caps.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Yes I have metal valve stems and caps. Do any of you run tubes in your tires? Is it a rule that you have to use tubes? I didn't see anything in the rule book on that..

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run tubes and tubeless tires. Tubes need metal stems so I normally use motorcycle tubes or ones for trucks if I'm using larger diameter rims. Back a few years you only needed a device to keep them from going back into the rim or bending under centrifugal force; not positive now.
    Goodyear front runners are known to leak thru their side walls. Wiping the inside with Dawn dish soap helps but tube are best. At the speeds in your class tubes will not be a problem.

6. Here's the build thread, sadly it looks as if a lot of the pictures didn't make it when the format changed a couple years back. I'll have to dig up some old files for you.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/62-ford-unibody-lsr-truck.573420/

7. Stogy, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  8. Here's a few pictures of the cage and the net. You can also see the fire bottles and triggers.
    100_2194.JPG final (1).JPG 100_2198.JPG 100_2196.JPG

9. The fire suppression system is a little over kill but I wanted enough to move into faster speed other than that of D/PP, it could have been done with one bottle but I chose to use two. One for the driver and one for the engine. There is one nozzle on the steering column aimed straight at the driver and two in the engine compartment aimed at the engine. I was told by tech to keep the one for the driver low and pointed up (I originally had it on the top of the cage pointed down at my face) covers more of the body that way. The ones in the engine bay are far forward aimed back at the heads and headers so the air rushing in will blow the retardant at the hottest spots.
    100_2347.JPG 100_2348.JPG 100_2349.JPG

10. Thanks Tim, for the photos . Who made your fire system? looks really good. Is the material on the floor a fire shielding material ?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

John, You are close to Joe Timney at Delaware Chassis Works, he is a good source for all your questions, Fire suppression and other pieces. As a longtime Tech Inspector at Speed Week, I would be happy to help if you have any questions. Send me a PM if you would like. Don`t forget your Lateral restraint bars and gussets in the cage area, look carefully at Tim`s truck, it is pretty well built. Hope to see you at Speed Week!!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen a coupe/sedan/pickup vehicle at Bonneville that some inspector didn't want just "one more bar" somewhere. I'm glad I was not one who did that after inspecting over 25 yrs, something had to be really wrong for me to write in the log book. The rule book was the minimum acceptable and more was better but not mandentory for me. I made suggestions to help owners/drivers to make things safer and easier to exit or work during an incident. As you work on it, continue testing getting in and out and do it with all your safety gear on many times. Be comfortable, have switches and controls close. Looks great good luck...

Tman, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. Thank you for the reply I appreciate having you critique my roll cage. I will PM you some detailed photos and get your opinion. look them over and give me any recommendations I may need. Ill take some pics tomorrow and get them to you soon. Do you still do inspections at Speed week?.
    Thanks John

14. Good advice. Thanks for the kudos

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. T Shirts will be available in the near future. They will be sold to raise funding for entry fees and the trip to Bonneville. They are Limited Edition Team Support shirts and will not be repeated in the future. I will have D Russ post what he has designed for us later on today. .once that is done I will post instructions as to how you all may purchase one or more. STAND BY THEY ARE REALLY AWSOME LOOKING SHIRTS.... #Getchasome...

16. If you wish to purchase a support team shirt click on the below link and view the shirts or pm me for details. Thank everyone so far for your shirt purchases.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Latest Photos, Building step headers, Plumbing the oil and engine ventilation system, and body work IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

chryslerfan55, mctim64, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  18. I appreciate so much those who have sent T shirt orders in that support the Bonneville project.
    to order please send me your size, how many shirts you need and check for $20.00 each or more to.
    John Mullen
    9428 Richmond Road
    Lanexa, Virginia. 23089.
    you can preview the team support T shirt by clicking on the link below.
    Thank you for your support of the Bonneville project. John

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. I thought this may help.. Photos of Support Team T shirts IMG_0448.JPG

chryslerfan55, Stogy and John Heckman like this.
  20. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Will the $20 cover the shipping charges or is it included? Will Postal Money orders be OK?

21. Yes, the $20 covers shipping. Money orders are fine, thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  22. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Thanks! Glad to support the project.

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  23. Thanks CNC-Dude for your support for the Bonneville project. Ill keep an eye out in the mail for your order and confirm it once it arrives. John Mullen.
    Mailing address
    John Mullen
    9428 Richmond Road
    Lanexa, Virginia. 23089

24. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Your welcome John! I showed a friend at work your build thread, and he wants one too. Payment on the way for 3 shirts.:cool:

25. Thank you everyone for the T Shirt support.
    I also want to thank the following company's who have supported the XO/PP Bonneville Project
    Especially Doug Dwyer ( Our California Team Mate ) for his amazing support finding great sponsors
    Thank You,
    Optima Battery's
    K&N Filters
    Holley
    MSD Ignitions
    Painless Products
    The Wheel Smith
    Auto Meter Gauges
    Good Year
    Mezier Enterprises

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

John, I will be Inspecting at the Salt this year. Look me up, and send me pics if you want. Oh, JD is right about those `Extra Bar` Inspectors...:eek::cool::D

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

On the cage from what I remember was that it had to meet a sanctioning body but they didn't have there own.
    So you build to NHRA or SCCA rules.

28. Thanks I'll shoot some pics and pm them to you. John

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You get free products from all those guys?. Since 1975 in all my Bonneville speed events and records for my cars I've gotten zip-nada-nothing I didn't pay for....guess that's why my cars didn't have much in the way of decals either....But I'm also not in any business where it matters to race vehicle or any for that matter.

Keep it up and I hope the salt gods are pleased with you. Word to the wise never predict what your outcome will be and always just accept what it gives. That place is fickle and humbly makes you earn every mile an hour. I've been humbled many times and never ever predict the out come of a Speed Week. It's not called "the great white dyno" without a reason.

At the end of the week just bow your head, then look up, and say thank you very much for letting me do this.

Tman, chryslerfan55, 57 HEAP and 6 others like this.
  30. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Wow. Looks like it will get you a net 25 HP gain! Sweet! Haha. And all i can here is a mad scientist in the background saying, " well... the paramiders of the tragetory outfit is such that propulsion is not necessarily equivalent to the injection in the ports of entry..." Hahahaha. LOVE that motor man! Great job! Best of luck!