Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. I found that the exhaust pipe I used was some of the most ignorant metal to
    achieve a nice tig weld on.
    So not sure the flux core tacks were a factor for yours

2. Now that I'm finally retired, got lot's of free time to catch up on all the cool builds on the hamb!...problem is, with a awesome find/ build thread like yours, I can't stop reading it!....lol...it's all good brother....giving me lot's of ideas and inspiration for my next build!...after 30 plus years of waiting, it's time to jump back in!....good luck with your project,
    will keep watching!

Sent from my LGMS210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. How cool is that?!!! Thanks for checking in man! Stuff like that gives me the chills, ha!

It makes some pretty green sizzly light, ha!

Thanks for checking in man! Best of luck with your project!

Tim, loudbang, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  4. That green light you see is the Zink in the galvanized metal . If your going to weld it grind it off or wash it off with pool acid in and out . If you get a headache after welding galvanize drink some buttermilk . Don’t know why it works but it will get rid of the ha .

loudbang, cactus1 and 31chevymike like this.
  5. Here’s a vid of the exhaust that I buttoned up today...

6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Sounding much better Mike!

cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  7. Here is the weekly update. With the exhaust buttoned up I turned my attention to getting the interior panels back in place. Time and humidity had taken their toll on the cardboard panels. I did my best to re-glue the loose vinyl and to splint the creased cardboard pieces. I made some door check straps to keep the doors from banging into the headers and to also help keep the panels in place.

image.jpeg
    I drilled the floor panels where they were not and did a little fitting to make them a bit easier to remove in the future.
    image.jpeg
    I need a couple of these knobs if anyone has any?
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I also need some snaps like these. The new ones have a Phillips head which will not do.
    image.jpeg

I dug the '47 Lincoln wheels out to clean up. Trying to decide wheather or not to have them sandblasted. They are 15 x 5-1/2"and should be perfect for the front. Lanny gave me some reversed 6" wheels for the rear. I need to pop them on and make sure they fit. They could use a sandblast as well.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  8. The old house door hinge pins, so good!!!
    Ballin'

9. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

This wouldn’t happen anywhere else! Unbelieveable.

10. I know right?!

Don’t you just love it?!

11. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Mike, I must say that this thread of yours made my week!
    I really love it when good things happen to good and worthy people and even better to see that you preserve history.
    Where I live, much has been done over the last 40 years to erase what history we had around hot rods, specials and old racecars and motorcycles, so I take cars like the one you found very seriously...... good for you and for Lanny!

Thank you so much for sharing and I will subscribe for updates :)

Attached Files:

12. silverdome

silverdome

I dug the '47 Lincoln wheels out to clean up. Trying to decide wheather or not to have them sandblasted. They are 15 x 5"and should be perfect for the front. Lanny gave me some reversed 6" wheels for the rear. I need to pop them on and make sure they fit. They could use a sandblast as well.
    View attachment 3790836 [/QUOTE]

I've got a cousin in the KC/Independence area that does blasting and powder coating. His company is called EnviroBlasting. He bought out the original owner a couple of years back. He likes old cars and trucks and is very friendly and easy to get along with. You might look him up if you want or I could get you his contact info.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. Lanyard

Lanyard

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  14. Lanyard

Lanyard

Yes I rented from Charlie for many years. I had to move out because the son finally sold the place to,some developer with big plans. They tore the buildings down and it has just grown up in weeds. So sad!

15. PugetDude

PugetDude

It was a block from the new Kansas Speedway, on the edge of the new Legends Shopping Center, so development was inevitable The son didn't sell it, his mom did when she moved into a retirement home. The developer tore down the house and buildings because he was paying taxes on them. The property has been sold twice since.

cactus1, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  16. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

17. Thanks so much for checking in! Very kind of you to say and I'm so glad people are enjoying the resurrection of Lanny's car!

I've got a cousin in the KC/Independence area that does blasting and powder coating. His company is called EnviroBlasting. He bought out the original owner a couple of years back. He likes old cars and trucks and is very friendly and easy to get along with. You might look him up if you want or I could get you his contact info.[/QUOTE]

Hey @silverdome I will give him a shout. Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I will give it a looksee!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. So this is awesome. ( I apologize for the redundancy to the people following on IG!) Lanny sent this pic to my lovely wife via the Facebook (as I am not a member.) There was no info given and I have not talked to him about it yet. I think someone on FB sent it to him? I'm assuming a friend or family member? @Lanyard what's the story? Such a fantastic image!!!

image.jpeg

19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Vintage photos of hot rods in their day are in a class by themselves...

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff :)

31chevymike, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  21. silverdome

silverdome

Just goes to show you Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a Hot Rod. Keep up the good work.

22. Mike, you are doing a terrific job bringing that car back to life. Great care taker! Remind me, I may have some of those knobs.

That interior looks so nice all together!!!!!

23. Mike, i found one snap so far........but i have a couple more places to look.

24. 28Hud

28Hud

Love the car, thank you for the updates. Keep 'Em coming! Great post to follow.:)

25. Agreed!

:)

Thank you!

Thanks Christopher! You are the wind beneath my wings!! FOSFTW!

Oh cool! Thanks for looking! I just sent an email to that place linked above because I didn't see them on the suggested pages.

Thank you! Will do!

26. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Oh cool! Thanks for looking! I just sent an email to that place linked above because I didn't see them on the suggested pages.

Cactus1,
    My bad, I did not realize that those pages were on an older PDF catalog!
    What size and finish are your originals? I have about a dozen from my woodie that I will not be needing. The ones I have are brass, 1/2" at the base, 3/8" at the top, 3/16 tall, 7/16 screw thread, slotted screw.
    Additional place you can find them is Snyder's: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/durable-snap-stud

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  27. No worries man and thanks for the offer! The ones that you linked at Snyder's look correct! I didn't even think to look there or Mac's, ha! I'm a dum dum!?

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Surely this is your car, with the chrome roll bar?? Previous owner before Lanny? Wonder if that picture was taken in Salina, KS?

29. It most definitely is. That’s Lanny behind the wheel! I just meant I didn’t know who took it or who the ladies with him were. Sorry if I was unclear.

30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Lanny was the Fonzie of the neighborhood? Aeyyyyy fonzie-leather-jacket-900x900.jpeg