Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chrysler Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Love the look of your sled. Always have loved fins, that's why I put a set of '57 Windsor fins on my 1956 Ford sedan.

Gotgas likes this.
  2. The point is he should consider painting his car a nice dark color, lower it and ride around. I'm not seeking history lessons in the middle of his thread, you know?

3. George

George

I bet!

Jet96, jakespeed63, hendelec and 2 others like this.
  4. I really like that... so much so, I'm going to steal your idea for my '56 Desoto!

Gotgas likes this.
  5. George

George

Front mounting plate that the dragsters use....

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have done a disk brake conversion on several of the Chrysler forward look cars with Scarebird parts. I always use a ford 8.8 rear (usually from an Explorer), chevy caprice prop valves, and gm caprice pedal assembly spliced into the original, caprice brake master and booster. Worked great. Yours sounds like a very similar setup, so I would assume it would also work well.

I had this exact setup on the primered 57' Plymouth I drove to the HAMB drags a few years ago.

Gotgas likes this.
  7. Any good Heliarc welder can weld your cast iron

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Please do! The '56 Chryslers and Desotos are my second favorite FL cars. ;)
    While I agree that's the best use of the block at this point if I don't repair it, I really don't want a motor plate in my ride.

Weather was cold this week, so progress has been slow. Now that I have the correct pilot adapter, I am mocking up the transmission again to install everything this weekend. I'm running into an issue with the pilot depth. The input shaft bottoms out a half inch before everything aligns. Grr.

20180119_193404.jpg

mgtstumpy, Stogy, Ford52PU and 4 others like this.
  9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Apparently I still don't have the right transmission pilot, so the drivetrain is still out of the car for now. We worked on a few other things this weekend instead. I pulled the dashboard out of the parts car and will work this week on cleaning the gauges and prepping it all for paint. As you can see, it's in amazing condition; it looks brand new. Door jambs are painted black. A little progress... but I sure would like to see that engine where it belongs. :rolleyes:

20180120_154925.jpg

20180120_154933.jpg

20180121_155911.jpg

VANDENPLAS, mgtstumpy, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  10. dwollam

dwollam

So..... How did you get what looks to be a picture of the finished car as your avatar if the car isn't finished yet?
    Love the car, reminds me of Dad's '57 New Yorker in 1961-63. Man that thing would run!

Dave

toolmaker likes this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

I see later you say the pic was Photoshopped! Nice job!

Dave

Gotgas likes this.
  12. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Love this! In my opinion the forward look mopars are the most beautiful designed cars on the road. Of course I may be a bit biased....

Gotgas likes this.
  13. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Do you have a thread or at least pictures of said Desoto? I have a '55 Firedome project myself

golferforpar likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Love those finned mopars, your plans are spot on for this one. congrats on finding such a rust free example. this is really going to be a bitchin car man, good going!

HEMI32, Sancho, Gotgas and 1 other person like this.
  15. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

If you do another 392, the manifolds used when they put Hemi engines in trucks are much like the units you used. Much higher flow and can be found cheap on eBay

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I took a look, and they are indeed 7.10-15s.
    Hey man, thanks! Your cars are all dripping with that 60s kustom vibe, so I appreciate you saying that. Maybe someday I'll have it made. ;)
    Yep, I'm aware! The truck manifolds are a tight (impossible?) fit in a torsion bar chassis. Even with an inch cleaved out of the side, the ones I have are really close.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Moriarity and jack_pine like this.
  17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Managed to get a lot done this weekend. Blasted and painted a ton of parts, like the air cleaner, hood hinges, sway bar, all kinds of stuff that needs to be done. Dad painted the steering wheel and it turned out great.

20180128_155856.jpg

After fighting the clutch pilot situation for weeks, we got it dialed in with this flywheel-mounted adapter. After getting the transmission bolted up, it was time to get the Hemi in the car. It lowered the front of the frame about eight inches! And I get to reclaim about 50 sf of shop space back.

20180128_150218.jpg 20180128_160013.jpg 20180128_185139.jpg 20180128_190600.jpg 20180128_200818.jpg 20180128_194950.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    VANDENPLAS, mgtstumpy, Thor1 and 31 others like this.
  18. cobramerc

cobramerc

Looking real good! it's starting to come together quite nicely

Gotgas likes this.
  19. Sauli

Sauli

Wow, what a beautiful car You have!
    The '57-61 Chrysler cars are some of the best-looking automobiles of all time!
    Good luck.

Gotgas likes this.
  20. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looking good. will be a beautiful car

Gotgas likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread. Add me to the brigade who always thoght the avatar was a photo of the finished car. This is going to be sweet when it is done.

Gotgas likes this.
  22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for taking us along on your build . I like the pics with your Dad in them . The grin on his face is priceless.

Gotgas likes this.
  23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Really looking forward to seeing this one done!

Gotgas likes this.
  24. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Very cool, a few years back chopolds and I were in a local junkyard and there was one of these pretty intact

Gotgas likes this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I bought a Henrob torch at Pate 15 years ago because the vendor was demonstrating on cast iron. I have been using it ever since with awesome results. It welds cast iron like melting butter. My friends watch and say, "Its gonna drip out!" Nope. Never had a drip. All of the welds have held up.
    A henrob can quickly and easily fix the ear

Gotgas likes this.
  26. That's a great looking car. Nice work!

Gotgas likes this.
  27. Toner283

Toner283

Go Man Go! Looking great. I know almost zero about this era of Chrysler, but they are definitely cool looking. That scoop looks spot on to me. You will likely have lots of people guessing where it came from. Looking forward to more.

Gotgas likes this.
  28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you all for you comments! You guys are very motivating. I apologize to those of you that thought the car was 'done' because of my avatar. Next time I'll try to make it more obvious that it's photoshop. ;) :D

We had a decent weekend of weather, so we blew apart the dashboard and cleaned it up. The padded dash has more lumps than I'd like, but no tears. Instead of buying a new one for $600+ we're going to dye it and run it this way for a while. Hopefully we can get it to look nice. The dash is the same gray as the roof, the pad will be black, and the gauge pods are gold. All the instruments and chrome are cleaning up nicely. I am using a 150mph speedo from a 300C, I wonder if anyone will even notice. :D

20180203_124851.jpg

20180204_084708.jpg

20180204_131254.jpg

VANDENPLAS, mgtstumpy, 55Deso and 9 others like this.
  29. Go, Danny, Go! After all the threads about "gasser" farm trucks and borderline rat rods, your Chizzler is a breath of fresh air. I think you have a cohesive vision for this car. I'm enjoying watching you build this thing.
    Phil

scotty t, 62hotcat, Sauli and 6 others like this.
  30. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Your car is really coming together nicely! I love the forethought into the look you're after. I remember seeing your wagon years ago at some of the early LoneStar Roundups. I hope you're able to make it this year.