Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fear & Loathing The Cold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2018.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I feel for ya Ryan,,, and all the other cold country livers
    But I can relate,,, had to wear a sweat shirt in the mornings over the weekend while changed the cam in the wife's daily driver 28 roadster. But we got her up and running - mid 70's and sunshine driving
    But,,,, we might get the r word this week,,, yes America! So Cal might get some more rain,, and yes I feel for all our neighbors up North that received more than normal rain amounts

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

First time I was in Florida was for a night race in early February. it was -2 when we left Indiana and the night of the race the temp was about 45 with a light breeze. I think it felt warmer at -2 in Hoosier land than it did in Jacksonville that night. One of the coldest races I've ever been to.

Lived in Pensacola for a while and I figured out that there is a point somewhere around 50 where all of a sudden it feels to be about 20 or so degrees colder than the thermometer reading.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!...................

Wheeeeeeee-1476934659399.jpg

4. The cost of keeping warm this Winter is eating into my already meager car parts budget.:mad:

crminal, Stogy, hotrodharry2 and 2 others like this.
  5. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

6. trey32

trey32

Hey, it's fuckin cold everywhere lately.
    Everyone is dealing with it in some way...

7. I've been in my house for 34 years and my most recent electric bill was the highest EVER.:mad:

8. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Could be worse...

image.jpeg

9. ^^^That's serious right there^^^:eek:

10. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little chilly by California standards but I’m liking it!

11. Bluedot

Bluedot

I grew up in CT, had a paper route in the late 50s delivering the Hartford Courant in the early AM every day. A few times in knee deep + snow. Now I DESPISE snow, cold, and winter in general. Just enough winter here in OK to remind me I don't like it. 63 days until Spring!!
    Oh yeah - I hate road salt too. Way overdone, and they wonder why all our bridges are rusting away. Duh!

12. ..........................Not to mention, brake lines, fuel lines, rocker panels, etc. etc.:mad:

Just Gary and hotrodharry2 like this.
  13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

^ Yep, it's been warmer than usual and less rain! I'm NOT complaining!

My heat blower on my furnace went out last week, still waiting for parts to come from back east. Taking cold showers suck! Luckily, it's not as cold as last Winter.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Gotta love living in Michigan, had an oil pan rust through a few years ago.

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

10 degrees here last night with snow and ice, so far today it has hit 30. Around 10 again tonight then 40 tomorrow with 50's this weekend. Not normally that cold here, usually 30's at night and 50 's in the daytime. Damn global warming, if we get much more of it I'll have to get an Eskimo suit!

16. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

I believe that's forced air heat right there.

17. Yesterday our heater unit cut out. I though W.T.F.it is only about 5 years old. Wife wasnt real happy either when she got home from work and to top that off it started snowing here. So we had to sleep around the fire place last night.I hand to get up every hour and a half to put more wood on. I closed all the door to keep what little heat in and when I went in to the bed room this morning it was 40 degrees in there burr.This morning I Googled the problem .Sure enough when I was putting a new theromaste in yesterday I must of touched 2 wire together. It said check for a car fuse in the unit???So it was 8 degrees here the morning still snowing and I went out and tore in to the unit.On the circuit board sure enough there was a 5 Amp car fuse I blew. I replaced that and she fired right back up. Boy one night of that was enough. Can you say boy what a dumb ass Bruce is???LOL.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Gee, your swell....:)
    Thanks!:rolleyes:

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Same thing happened to my '96 Ferd pick'em up truck....:(

20. i try to enjoy it, crisp air, no bugs, snuggling with the wife in front of a fire, warm drinks and the silence the snow brings....... but it does get tiring after a while
    any time there is a temperature swing are bodies take time to adjust. if it hits 55 degrees, on a summer night it feels cold. right now if it hit 40° we would be in t-shirts. 75°? the sweat from my balls would be running into my boots.
    i think the problem is your not working hard enough..........go split some wood.

bobss396, blowby, Moriarity and 5 others like this.
  21. 84108DA15E1441EABAF425E98A8F483E.jpg AD24F33FFFF041AEB2FE2D4C1F9F4F2F.jpg DB177AAFD8664453AF049CB5DB6A0560.jpg thumbnail-1.jpeg thumbnail-2.jpeg
    i was just sent these.

22. 2935ford

2935ford

The most fun ever is when your vehicle is completely covered with a nice coat of ice. You manage to get inside and roll the window down and you have a clear sheet of ice window! :)

dan c and Speedwrench like this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No indoor plumbing for many, if not most. No central air conditioning. Here in the midwest in addition to -20° F. below Zero temperatures, it routinely reaches +100° F. in the summer with matching humidity. Completely miserable. Nobody has a clue today. The weather readers sitting inside their climate controlled studios will say "It's beautiful out there today!", yeah work outside - real work - when it's 85° and tell me it's "beautiful". Stupid fuckers. There must have been only a few short weeks of spring and fall with reasonable temperatures and low humidity to be enjoyed. You want to bring back the good old days? Turn off the air conditioning, lol. Turn off the heat.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

I work in Dallas and was speaking with a business associate in Fairbanks Alaska this morning. He told me it was 32 degrees and raining. I told him it was 9 degrees when I left the house this morning at 5 am. He said that's ok it's going to be -25 next week, I told him we are supposed to be in the low 70s on Saturday. :confused: I'm ready for Spring to get here already! Or at least Pate Swap Meet!

Bruce Fischer and Texas57 like this.
  25. Swedish HAMBer @Mr 42 has been known to take his '33 Roadster out for a drive in the snow/ice ... Here's a few of his videos:

Mr42.jpg
    click HERE to download ^this^ video

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  26. Deuces

Deuces

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. yeah, he was a rescue from Georgia...........he hates the cold.
    you can tell what he is thinking.

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.