Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Code of Ethics Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Jan 16, 2018.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I have a Hot Rod Code of Ethics Dilemma requesting clarification. Maybe you can help. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled on the best wrecking yard I’ve ever had the privilege to roam (at least in the last 30 years). It is out of the way and like stepping back in time. Spent much time looking around and tried to see as many of the big items (cars/trucks) I could and probably saw about ½ of the smalls (door/fenders/bumpers/engines/transmissions/trim/small parts/etc.).

I took many pictures while wading through the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and 50’s wrecks. All the while thinking “I can’t wait to post these on the HAMB cause I know others like to see this stuff as much as I do!”. On the drive home, I reflected on the excellent experience it was for me to experience a wrecking yard the way I picture they were 40-50 years ago. My thoughts of “going public” and sharing my find started to feel awkward. Almost like the beauty of this place has been preserved because it is largely unknown to other than the "locals". This place could be loved to death in no time. There will come a time when this place is gone. This wrecking yard clearly exists because it is unknown. It has some great projects cars and even more great parts, some which are very sough after. And their prices are very fair. I picked up a set of pristine 1960 Buick taillights for $50.

So my Hot Rod Code of Ethics Dilemma is this, do I stick with my initial desire to share this honey hole of a wrecking yard (on the internet no less) knowing that with a little advertisement this place could be cleaned out in no time. It will cease to exist. Or do I keep quiet and let this things exist as they are providing others the great experience of stumbling into the best wrecking yard I know. For some reason I feel protective of sorts of this place and would like to know it is preserved.

Michael

Attached Files:

• One.jpg
      One.jpg
      File size:
      132.7 KB
      Views:
    • Nine.jpg
      Nine.jpg
      File size:
      139.5 KB
      Views:
    • Six.jpg
      Six.jpg
      File size:
      350.4 KB
      Views:
    • Two.jpg
      Two.jpg
      File size:
      238.2 KB
      Views:
    • Five.jpg
      Five.jpg
      File size:
      166 KB
      Views:
    Fern 54, slim38, steinauge and 2 others like this.
  2. Bugguts

Bugguts

Keep quiet and let others discover it on their own.

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Sporting wood here :)

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Please keep it to yourself. You were lucky to stumble across it and lucky that the place is still
    in operation. Soon enough, it'll turn into a landscaping supply business or a place to park
    semi trucks on it's own, don't rush the process. You can justify spreading the news by saying
    "But I can help fellow rodders". A big part of car fanaticism is the hunt, let us dig up our
    own parts and let this small business (or treasure) exist as long as it can without being
    cannibalized or forced into an early closure.

pitman, tractorguy, deucemac and 3 others like this.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is a fair chance that it will be a strip mall soon, And all the tin crushed. If that is likely, you should share. How much of this stuff will you use yourself?

brad2v, loudbang, King ford and 2 others like this.
  6. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Keep it under your hat, there are some that would take a semi and buy everything that was worth anything , take it home and sit on it for years while bragging about the "steal" they got.

Fern 54, tractorguy, Andamo and 3 others like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I agree with the above comments.
    A lot of us have our own places like you found .
    Let others find that place by actually getting off their ass and go out looking.

8. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Get that cat out of the bag, people need parts,helps the business.
    I need both fender spears for a 52 dodge 3pc . See any in there?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

10. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

just tease us with more pictures

slv63, theduuude, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Keep it to yourself

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tractorguy and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Back in the mid sixties I knew of a very cool yard in far, far northern CA, not as big as this but it had some cars I still agonize about no-one getting when they could have been had. After getting out of the army in 1970, I asked my dad about it, and the property had been sold and everything was destroyed/gone.

Unless you know there are no forces that would lead this place to being gone in the next five years, I would post its location here on the HAMB so more of the cars and parts can find a good home.

RICH B, Larry W, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

:)

Attached Files:

• Four.jpg
      Four.jpg
      File size:
      426.2 KB
      Views:
    • Three.jpg
      Three.jpg
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
    • Ten.jpg
      Ten.jpg
      File size:
      101.8 KB
      Views:
    • Seven.jpg
      Seven.jpg
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
    Fern 54 and Stogy like this.
  14. rhtfo

rhtfo

As the above HAMBer's stated, keep it to yourself. Thanks for the pics. Made my day just knowing that a plce like that yard still exists.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Keep it to yourself" was the mantra of every old dude that I knew, who died, and who's collection was either sold for scrap, or who's heirs PAID to have hauled off by a scrapper.

You guys are preventing future hot rod builds, and preventing future hot rodders from getting into the hobby.

Who knows how much longer we are going to be allowed to do this?

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Great comments from everyone. This wrecking yard has been in the same location for 40ish years and shows no sign of leaving. I would guess the owner has a good 10-20 years left in him (seems pretty young hearted and feisty - like all good parts guys). The owner runs this place as his living (I’m pretty sure). And I did consider the value of sending him customers. More sales, better for him? But you know what? I would suspect that he considers himself a rich man, as-is. He clearly loves this yard and loves helping people locate that missing part they seek. If this yard sold out, I would wonder if owner would be lessened in a way. Sort of minimizing/eliminating his ability to live his passion.

pitman, FlyFisher, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

If it's safe from the earthquakes, wild fires and mud slides, keep it to yourself. If not, then tell the world!

Mr. Clean and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. Ask the people who own the Yard... maybe they would be ok with it or maybe not.. I always ask if I can take pictures as a courtesy (ie , owners car, private car collections, etc) .. remember it's there place, and you are visiting...(and buying)... my 2 cents worth

19. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Tell the owner about this site and see what he thinks.

FlyFisher, mike bowling and BAD ROD like this.
  20. trey32

trey32

Keep it to yourself huh, you gonna buy and build all those cars this lifetime are ya???
    Why would you share that info with anyone else, nowadays it's all about self gratification.
    Carry on.
    Fuck.

21. Some folks need a little prod towards the light bulb.

I'll be your first customer.

Hunt me down a nice set of 35-36 ford truck doors

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Fewer people care about this old shit every day. This yard will eventually go away whether a hoarder buys it all or a scrapper shreds it after the owner dies. I bet the owner would be grateful if you told people about his yard. I'm guessing he would prefer the parts go to use rather than run a museum for dreamers. Maybe you should ask him.

23. Ask the guy that owns the yard if he wants the world to know....they are his cars after all

Bertolasi, Kiwi 4d, Hnstray and 15 others like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they guy is in the business of selling auto parts, and you know he has parts, and you know where buyers are for those parts, and you refuse to disclose the location of those parts, then you are interfering with his livelihood.

I would not take kindly to that if you did it to me.

Find out if he is selling. If the answer is yes, then pony-up the address.

brad2v, Eagletucky, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  25. trey32

trey32

Why would you have a business and didn't want anyone to come buy anything??
    Fucking ridiculous.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking.

There may be enough geo-information in image two to get the location via satellite.

slv63 and BoilermakerDave like this.
  27. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

don't tell us just let it set there and rust how much of that yard can you use. that's like the old man down the road with the 32 coupe in his barn 87 years old I am going to get it running some day

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Exactly.
    The old "gonna fix it up someday",
    Really means it'll sell for scrap soon
    What kind of Auburn parts are there?

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

As said above...

Fedcospeed, Hnstray and Latigo like this.
  30. Eventually,everything in the yard will be crushed if people arn't able to find & buy the projects,why not ask the guy would he mind you spreading the word? HRP