Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chrysler Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, Jan 15, 2018.

1. So the avatar pic is photo shop? Real or not it's beautiful!

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, thank you for that Phil. I haven't seen you since then. That's entirely too long. Please reach out if you make it back here, we'll go for a cruise. Hopefully it will be in the Chrysler, but I do still have that POS wagon! ;)

20180108_165825.jpg

Thanks!

Yeah, I photoshopped that a while back. I've seen a few people post it as their 'favorite custom' which is both funny (since it's fake) and encouraging (since I'm building it). Thank you!

VANDENPLAS, mgtstumpy, BigO and 6 others like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a kool project, looking forward to watching it come together.
    Good luck with the LSRU deadline. The hood scoop idea is just too kool!!

kidcampbell71, BigO, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

Why did you paint the trunk first??? For practice??

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I had a friend that said he could fill the license plate hole in the trunk for me. I gave him the trunk and didn't see it again for three years. When I saw it again, he had warped the thing badly with his welding, and to make it worse, he had it on its side and backed a car into it. It was ruined... or so I thought. My dad said a body man at his shop wanted to take a stab at fixing it. So they worked it over pretty good and painted it. I was pleased to get it back...

DSC_2787.JPG

20150914_160056.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Scoop is slick, looks like it 'grew there'... Decklid is mirrorlike...
    That paint on the engine...not 'gold', really...more like a 'pewter'? It's ideal, looks great against the black as well as the chrome. What 'color' is it???

dwollam, drdave and Gotgas like this.
  7. R Pope

R Pope

Love that car! Had a 57 4 door HT with a 354 Poly many years ago, great old tank.

Gotgas likes this.
  8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you, Mike. It's a Hyundai color, just something I picked out. It looks wildly different in or out of the light. I wanted something that would still be vibrant in a black engine compartment, I hope it works out.

dwollam likes this.
  9. Cragrat

Cragrat

subscribed

atch likes this.
  10. Nice tail fins! Way more ''space age'' than GM or Ford in '57.
    [​IMG]
    Caddy came close.
    [​IMG]
    But this long beauty has a sleek look the others don't.
    That rust free start sure helps your cause. Great build. 1,000 lbs is no joke on the engine crane!

mgtstumpy, Stogy, dwollam and 2 others like this.
  11. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Can’t wait to see more of this one. Really nice cars, those ones.

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Love the mid 50's Mopars. I couldn't believe how many where at Carlisle last summer including a collection from Herb Mcandless.
    Subscribed! And going back to Carlisle this year too

13. Squablow

Squablow

Love the FL Mopars, I'm following. What happened to the rotten DeSoto? Stripped for parts?

14. gatz

gatz

Great project and skills. Nice to have your Dad in on it.
    Followin' along as I've always had a thing for 50's Mopars.
    I had a 57 Dodge Coronet 2dr hdtp in HS. Wish I had kept it. Body & glass were in great shape....no rust.

When you mentioned the Em Brake setup using cables/brackets from a Ranger; would that be from any year?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you! That means a lot coming from a Kustom aficionado!
    I meant to say thank you for this comment, and also for your story about the 300C. That is too funny. The 300s were effortlessly fast. I guess The Hot One found out the hard way! ;)
    Thank you!
    I love all the 1957 cars. Every manufacturer had a good looking car that year! I'm really glad to have found a rust free coupe body that needs everything else, and a rusty four door where everything else is nice! Serendipity. Thank you!
    I think so too ;)
    I sold that car years ago, ended up going to a Hamb'r in Austin. It was only good for parts. The frame was toast and the body was rotten at every structural point. I pulled the front seat out without unbolting it!
    Probably. The basic rear leaf spring design was used on all of them, so I'd assume the e brake from any year would work. Brake sizes would change for each bodystyle. I got mine from a '97.
    Thanks, Scoob!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. missysdad1

missysdad1

Glad to see some progress! Going to be a spectacular custom! Keep up the good work!

18. @Gotgas -

‘Bout time you started this thread! :)

Although I’ve enjoyed your progress posts on the "book of Face," nothing compares to a good ol' H.A.M.B. build thread ... so much more comprehensive and easier to follow than on those social media platforms.

The car is looking great!

go-dan-go.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and Hyfire like this.
  19. You know my feelings since we just talked a week or so back! I am not much of a MoPar guy...however I think your car is once of the coolest 50's cars built. Those tail lights are to die for! Glad to see the ol girl getting some love

dirty old man likes this.
  20. Not to hijack your build thread ... but ...

My father and Bud were pals too ... they went to Bonneville together in the late '80s.

I couldn't find my pic of Bud's Gauguin Red '57 300 C Coupe flat-towing his Gauguin Red '27 track-nosed T ... but here's a circa 1983 snapshot of it parked next to our (then unrestored) Jet Black '57 300 C Coupe (now owned by @johnl):

Olson & Jones '57 300C Coupes (June '83).jpg

@StillOutThere is my Forward Look Hero! :D

kidcampbell71, dwollam and Stogy like this.
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thanks, Eric! We'll have to go cruise some day. Hot rods and customs go together like peanut butter and jelly.
    Thank you, Todd! I know you know a little something about black Chryslers and Hemis. :D And yeah, Wayne is a helluva good guy to have in your corner.
    Thanks man! I am too.

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. Hyfire

Hyfire

Absolutely love it. Can’t wait to see more.

Spending car time with Dad.... Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. What tires are on it, the ones mounted to the chrome reverse rims?

24. This car, or one very similar, was in Sunland Ca in the late 50's always parked at a gas station on the intersection of Sunland Bl and Foothill Bl. good one to model yours after, Black and wires and you're set.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  25. Not to derail Danny's build thread any further ... but I must correct you ...
    • That Andy Southard Jr. photo of Clif Inman & his (Joe Wilhelm built) Custom '57 Chrysler was taken in 1964.
    • Inman bought his '57 Chrysler in 1960 and brought it to Wilhelm's shop for some mild customizing & lowering. It wasn't until 1962 that Clif had Wilhelm chop the top and further customize the car.
    • Clif Inman has never lived in Southern California (i.e., Sunland) ... to this day, he still lives in the Willow Glen district of San Jose, CA
    On this we can agree! :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    dwollam, j hansen and drdave like this.
  26. @TTR -

Nope ... I'm positive it was a '57 Chrysler ... with a '58 Dodge windshield ... and '58 Chrysler frenched taillights.

Yes ... the Clif (one "f") Inman Chrysler is reported to still be stored in one of William McEuen's Southern California warehouses.

I could go on & on about the car (my father briefly owned it) ... but we've hi-jacked this build thread enough already ... and there's already a dozen or so threads on the H.A.M.B. about the car.

@Gotgas - Sorry for the derail :(

27. belair

belair

Great car, great father/son build. I have always liked your wagon, hope to see its stablemate at the Roundup.

28. miss my 59 Plymouth wagon...keep the updates coming.. dig it !

29. Well, I'll be. I always thought your avatar was your done car. Guess now I get to hold my breath hoping to get to see it in Austin. What are you doing here on the HAMB? You got a car to get moving....go outside!!! LOL

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's my favorite part of the build, actually. Thanks man!!

I think they are 7.10-15s all around, but don't quote me on that. I'll have to look for you. Interestingly, these tires spent a lot of years in a museum bolted to this hulk (1954 Dodge Firearrow).

54-Dodge-Firearrow-III_Concept-DV-09_ARM_01.jpg

You didn't ask, but I'll also mention this. The wheels are '49-56 Ford 15" wheel centers with new outer rims in 15x5 standard offset up front and 15x7 reversed in the rear. Jimmy aka @wheelkid made them for me a few years ago. I bought the chrome wheels and the wires at the same time, thinking I'd swap them out between the cars. But the chrome reverse don't fit too well on the wagon; I have to deflate the tires just to get the wheels off! :eek: Since I'm running the narrower rear in the Chrysler, the reversed wheels fit better on it. Plus the wires are starting to show their age with all the miles the Plymouth has racked up. So for now the Chrysler gets the chrome steel wheels; I'll get a dedicated set of wire wheels for it later.

Thanks Timo! Timo, meet Todd! :)
    You guys both know the Clif Inman Chyrsler as well as anybody. One of you has been around the original more than most. One of you built the best tribute out there. It's a great car, but mine isn't getting chopped. :D

Thank you, sir! I hope you see it there too.

We are experiencing the coldest temps in 20 years here! I've been doing some prep each night this week for getting the Hemi back in the car this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    mgtstumpy and HEMI32 like this.