Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford Model A Coupes - How Good Are They...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jan 8, 2018.

?
  1. Standard

243 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. Special

17 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Sport

35 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Business

21 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Cabriolet/Coupster

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. banjorear

banjorear

Agreed. They sure are pretty.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  2. Ford28

Ford28

DCA983A3-1730-4860-8924-5E00A99E90A5.jpeg I’ve had my 28 coupe for 45 years got her when I was 15 years old!

3. [​IMG]
    the A's are the kooolest hot rods.....my '30
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. My 29 model A coupe isn't all H.A.M.B. friendly. But my little brothers 30 A is.;) 123.jpg 130.jpg 114.jpg 137.jpg If I could only have one Hot Rod it would be my model A coupe. There's nothing more FUN than a MODEL-A! Ron....

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

When you consider the contribution of Ford Model A's in general for hot rodding, I wonder how different our world could have been without them being available as a source.
    They have provided an abundant supply of quality bodies at a affordable price usually.

Lil'Alb and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Ron, I really like your coupe with the hood, it is a credit to you.
    I was wondering about your flamed coupe with no radiator stays, how does that work.
    Don't you have any troubles with the radiator moving too much on the lower mounts?
    I note recently many rods not bothering to run radiator stay rods...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I always wondered why none of the repro sheet metal products manufacturers never did make a replacement roof set of panels for the Standard coupes.
    Since the Standard coupes are so popular the repro panels could have been used one as replacements for damaged sheet metal, but also as conversion kits on the other body style of coupes...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  9. SlamIam

SlamIam

I like the visor - beyond that, a Model A coupe is lots more fun than saving for years to afford a 32, and fun is what I do this for

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. chev34ute

chev34ute

The one thing that makes the Model A coupes so unique is variety of styles that were produced. The leather back and hardtop five windows, business and sports coupes in 28 and 29 and the five window and sports coupes in 30/31 all had their charms.

When it comes to the 28/29's the sports coupes and business coupes looked better than their five window counterparts. That all changed with the 30/31's. With their seamless flowing cowls and lower roof lines the 5 windows more than matched their sports coupe counterparts.

From a styling point of view, 30/31's really nailed it. The fact that the cowl from an AA truck or pickup could be interchangeable with one from a coupe or tudor showed the simplicity of the design, it also made it easier to source parts. I wonder how many 30/31 AA trucks gave up their cowls to guys putting together coupes ?

As far as owning any myself I am a very recent convert. Its only been in the last 10 months that I have started gathering parts, starting with a nice pair of 30 coupe doors. As of now I have just enough parts to put together a 29 and 30 Sports coupe if I wanted to.

I saw several nice 30 coupes as the Street Rod nationals last Easter they were all stock bodied and fully fendered but it was the one at the bottom that was the inspiration for my current build. Other than the lowered front end and missing bumper, it almost looks stock. DSC00020.JPG DSC00023.JPG DSC00022.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Ron Funkhouser and fiftyv8 like this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Bump for a few more votes and pic's if you are game...

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Can somebody confirm my choice of words on the voting table.
    I have used the word SPECIAL to describe one of the coupe body styles, but is that correct or should I have used the word DELUXE???
    This particular style has not received any votes at all so I was figuring I must have been off with my choice of word.

Stogy likes this.
  13. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really need to finish a couple projects and get back on this one. I call this one special, as in never existed.
    IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0262.JPG

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Special is the so called leatherback which really is somewhat rarer...I believe @AVater's coupe is a special. The vinyl top wraps right on down to the lower belt line area at the back. I don't believe there were Special Deluxes

Here is some production data...

MA_data.JPG

https://books.google.ca/books?id=at...age&q=model a ford coupe designations&f=false

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    tomc, Ron Funkhouser and fiftyv8 like this.
  15. roder1935

roder1935

Here is a special coupe or as some refure to as a leather back I think you choise of words is correct 1128172021.jpg

16. chuckIII

chuckIII

Mines a special coupe....or leatherback. I like it just cause it’s a little different.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil'Alb, curbspeed, chop job and 7 others like this.
  17. chuckIII

chuckIII

18. Hey that pictures is taken at The Jalopy Jam Up, I remember that car there, I drooled over it for a long time !

19. Embarrassed to admit it wasn't until years after lusting over Model A Hot Rods that via my father in law saying "NO they are not the same from 28 to 31!! " I discovered the obvious differences between the 28/29 & the 30/31, most importantly the 28/29's stepped "Model T" cowl, I guess I was so focused on the overall "look" I never noticed... Now that I own a 31 I really enjoy all the subtle differences between the years & variations, to me the Model A just has that raw "hot rod" look without any major changes, obviously it can be "enhanced" with modifications, but right out of the gate it's a hot rod, when I think of the never ending debate of "Model A or a 32" I think the Model A is the Hot Rod you have fun with, The 32 is the Hot Rod you bring home to meet your mother, you know it's a little more refined, it has some manners, some class, The Model A, not so much... but she's alot of fun ;-)
    20170916_195015.jpg

Lil'Alb, 56shoebox, fiftyv8 and 2 others like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That my friend is a sweet little coupe! slap some more pics of her up on the wall. Would love to see how you did the interior on her. Great car. Don't sell it! (sell it to me! :D) but otherwise don't sell it!

Denns1989 and chuckIII like this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

To everyone that doesn't know this car, this is a real deal survivor hot rod and as cool as they come. Remember my invitation to drive her out west Denns!

Denns1989 likes this.
  22. chuckIII

chuckIII

Thanks brother. Here’s some pics when we were doing the interior. It’s got bucket seats in it out of a triumph. And thinking of putting fog light on it. If you want it hit me up. I’m sure we can make a deal. ;).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitnessguy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

chuckIII likes this.
  24. chuckIII

chuckIII

Thanks brother. Wish I could take the credit but I got it like that and just added my own touches.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Canuck

Canuck

1930 Standard Coupe. Original Canadian built car, probably assembled in Winnipeg Manitoba. Rebuilt from a rough field car body into a Hot Rod in Manitoba in the 2000s. All work done in my one car garage by me.
    upload_2018-1-17_9-28-42.png

upload_2018-1-17_9-30-14.png

Car has since decided it didn't like the roads in Manitoba and has moved to Saskatchewan in the fall of 2017.

Canuck

27. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Hi Canuck, does that mean you have relocated as well or just the car???

29. Canuck

Canuck

I'm still stuck here in Manitoba, car just moved to Saskatchewan. Too many of the roads around where I live are overdue for maintenance and took a lot of the pleasure out of driving a car like the coupe. Nearly a mile going out or returning of "cordroy gravel" (looks and feels like logs laid across the road side by side). Got a 64 Malibu in the shed so spending the winter planning some upgrades to it and filling the shop with sanding dust re-finishing some antique furniture for my daughter. Malibu should be better able to handle the roads.

upload_2018-1-18_9-39-42.png

Canuck

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Wow, your Malibu looks fine, but some guy in SK sure got a nice Model A coupe.
    You did real good work on that coupe.