Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Can of Beans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Ruther than give you the whole back story on this old heap just read here. It won't take you but a minute and it is worth getting to know the new kid on the block.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/buying-an-ole-can-a-beans-my-29-ford.1092972/

The Old Crosley was actually in the possession of Jimmy Flowers when I first lay eyes on it. That was pre ice and snow the Saturday before Christmas. I talked to the little car for a minute, it showed me its private parts and said, "Can I come home with you Mr.?" How could I say no?

3716A660-6BB4-4D6A-ADED-8916DD278ED3.jpeg

We laughed over the weekend that my cars are progressively getting smaller.

DAEF049C-73E5-44A6-9DC5-61A72E40A354.jpeg

But you do got to love a car that makes a little bugger like me look big. :D

We figure if I live long enough I will end up with a 409 powered skate board. ;)

So loading was fun. 4 of us lifted the front end up on the trailer. I think that one or two could have loaded it as it sets the same way but the ground was a skating rink. We figure that as the car sits is can't weigh more than a thousand pounds.

IMG_20180113_155959_367.jpg

67f621eb142822b25210990e16df8158.jpg

The trailer was actually overkill, it was a lot like hauling a go kart in a dump truck but it is what we had.

So now we are home and getting it unloaded, we used some real flimsy harbor freight ramps, kind of cheating but well you know we had 'em.

And here she is all nestled in her bed.

B566B03C-184D-4F73-B500-E8DE5D2AECB7.jpeg

Now see the nest installment. If you are still reading this tripe, and maybe I should thank Jimmy for putting me in this heap, @Austin kays and @raven for help hauling the little beasty.

2. I like it a lot!

Now get your arse in gear and make some sparks fly! :D HRP

LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Hmm, maybe some version of a hemi??

loudbang likes this.
  4. So a little back story on the little coupe. The car was originally built in the '48-'52 time frame by a tool and die guy in East St Louis. It was powered by a full house 390" Cadillac flathead and backed by a '39 Ford transmission. It raced one season @ B-Ville then street/drag raced after that until about '57 when the guy got bored and decided to road race and bought a 2x4 Vette in road race trim from GM. The story goes on but we are really interested in the car right? :)

It is basically a 48 or so Crosley coupe channeled on a stretched A chassis. It has '40 Ford axles (and brakes) on both ends as well as '40 wheels, an F 1 steering box, a home made steering wheel. The original door latches while they need a little adjustment still work, it still has all the original glass, original dash board and after that the body is little more than a tin can. I will get more photos in time but everything on the car is top notch, it is not built like your typical race car of the era.

Now the builder took some of the inches that Jim ( @squirrel) usually takes out when he moves his rear end forward, what used to be a 103" wheel base ( I think) is now 111" and mostly moved toward the back. The rear is spring behind and the front axle spring in front.

The car originally ran a nose made from 2 '40 Ford hoods welded together. The nose is long gone but I got a '40 Ford hood and a '39 Merc hood in the deal and I am going to attempt to make a nose that resembles the original. Wish me luck,

I intend to drive the little can of beans, so I will add lights and such. I just happen to own one Dietz round tail light which will land perfectly in the stock Crosley location. We have joked about me buying the car so I could use my light. LOL

Well enough of this blather, I'll be back I promise.

Oh here is a drool pic just because I can. ;)

DABDCA7C-E38B-46DB-970C-1EBCA722226C.jpeg

5. Austin kays

Austin kays

loudbang likes this.
  6. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner that just looks like fun !

loudbang likes this.
  7. BTW,is it set up for a sbc? HRP

8. Your a faster typer than me,question already answered. HRP

9. LOL not yet. But that is probably going to happen.

One of my belly buttons and a real HAMB rule breaker, it already has hangin peddles so a pair of Jelly jars one for brakes and one for clutch, and now for the rule breaker I just happen to own a Saginaw 3 speed.:eek::p:D

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Beaner, I'd give my left nut to find an old race car that cool! Those Crosley racers were just bitchin'. Like Batto's.
    What's it got for a rear axle? Looks like a modified Model A frame and some nice bracketry.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. There ya go Beano,do you need a extra left nut? upload_2018-1-15_16-3-33.gif HRP

12. ^^^^^I would take the extra nut.......you may need it if you continue lifting cars onto trailers at our age!:eek::eek::)

13. A chassis stretched out to 111" wheel base, '40 Ford axles and bakes on both ends. I have not checked the gear yet but I would guess unless it has been changed from stock either a 4.11:1 or a 3.73:1 those seem to be the most common. The slicks on it are original to the car, I may blow them off in front of the house. :D
    I imagine that someone is going to own a nice old set of wall hanger slicks, I have not made a real decision on tires yet, but they will stay 16" just because.

The slicks are actually pretty cool, but they are weather checked and hard as a brick. If they were not weather checked I would really like to make a pass with them just so I could say that I smoked the tires the length of the track. LOL

26DB6DF5-6B10-431A-B1D2-8EBCCECC2AEB.jpeg

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

GO BEANER GO!!! :D

loudbang, bchctybob and firstinsteele like this.
  15. chris' 38

chris' 38

IMG_1279.JPG IMG_2460.JPG Looks like my buddies car.

16. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

17. They are all built a lot alike, I think that they didn't change the body from '48 until they went out of business. The original motor was smaller than my motor cycle motor. Here's a pic of a race prepped Crosley motor. All 750CCs of it.

1280px-Crosley_racing_engine.jpg

18. raven

raven

Of course he says nothing about setting himself on fire while we bench-raced with KCTA-Chris later that day...
    r

19. belair

belair

The hood looks right. Looking forward to the build.

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey, it's already got a green door and wheels, paint it green and name it........ Green Bean!

21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replied to the first thread but to make sure you get this, keep in mind that you're too old to do that sort of lifting. Call me and I can bring a car trailer with a winch to the party.. I owe you a favor anyway. I'm old. too, but not too old to operate a winch switch.

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

COOL BEANS!! That thing looks ripe for a full house Olds...or a high revn’ Mouse!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  23. LOL that was pretty funny. Too normal for us but pretty funny. ;)

chryslerfan55 and Austin kays like this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

As of right now my Crosley is faster than your Crosley...:p[​IMG] IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0386.JPG Crosley with Seb and Hunter.jpg [​IMG]

25. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks for posting.

loudbang likes this.
  26. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a wuss if you don't drive it to Mo-Kan this year.

Love, -Abone.

27. catdad49

catdad49

I saw this listed somewhere and it brought me back to a great time in racing. I don't remember if it said anything about it's history, but if you looked close it was pretty evident that it was built well and not just yesterday. Maybe I was dreaming, but I could picture it with the hood configuration that you described. Now it looks like she going to get a second chance at it. Go Mr. Beaner!

loudbang likes this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow-a challenge! You'd have to leave by next Saturday to get there in time for the races.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.