Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Windsor vs 350sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meshach, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I have seen or heard people get criticized for utilizing a Windsor engine in a build as it is not considered "traditional" enough but it seems as though 350sbc is considered acceptable as they are in 9/10 builds, I understand the SBC was in introduced in the mid 50s in one form or another and the Windsor in 61/62 but it seems strange to me. So what say you? What is an acceptable power plant for a build? Does the the actual components including block need to be of a certain date IE: sbc 1957 283. or is it flathead or nothing?.

black_dog41 and mod700rmk like this.
  2. Depends on the build.........

3. I just go for style
    both can be dressed to have a 60s vibe

Mr48chev and low budget like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Build a 302 and tell the world it's a 289....;)

spiffy1937 and Kodak Jack like this.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would go off or where I can stand the oil pump the best then the distributor.
    Not sure the money is any difference now days and one can run with the other if you do your home work.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Whatever the car owner wants to put in it.

Everyone has their own level of adherence to "traditional". Usually there are lots of considerations that lead us to use stuff that is newer. Some of those things look more out of place than others. But in the end, whatever someone wants in their car, is their decision.

oldtymehiboy, J.L.B., SFC and 7 others like this.
  7. I got a 260 squirreled away just to get the oil fill tube timing cover and gen just in case I want to period dress a 302

deathrowdave and meshach like this.
  8. Easy to figure, traditional engines have to have the distributor either between the water pumps or at the rear. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U, thirtytwo, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  9. LOL

spiffy1937 likes this.
  10. robracer1

robracer1

A lot more are doing Ford on Ford now

11. Probably because they are equally price restrictive today

JeffB2 likes this.
  12. If it's going in a Ford, the Windsor. Anything else doesn't matter. and a hemi can go into anything.

Atwater Mike, George, JeffB2 and 2 others like this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

Iv'e noticed that to. Instead of the same old thing. I guess hot rodding isn't truly dead.

spiffy1937 and JeffB2 like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Anybody can put a SBC in just about anything. SBF takes a little more thinking, a little more planning, oftentimes a little more fabricated stuff that you can't buy. And when you're finished, you have the satisfaction of knowing you didn't follow the herd and take the easy way out.

Nothing wrong with the SBC if that is what you want, but if you want to be different, you do the SBF. Or BBF. Or Hemi. Or Nailhead Buick. Or whatever else that is not run of the mill.

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My reasons for running a Windsor in my tradition 32 PU build were mostly coming with a recent bought of Fox body 5.0 racing and performance mild infatuation. So I was armed with a lot of starter leftover parts and connections. Then there’s what’s fresher in your brain. Not that my rolodex isn’t big enough for multiple engine platforms, it’s sometimes easier to pull from what you had just been immersed in.
    My plans for my strict early 50s style chassis and body are a mid sixties sbf repower theme. Plenty of hot rods went through multitudes of rebirths.
    So my 347 Aluminum headed roller motor was to be buried under a M/T crossram, 62 top half valve covers welded to 302s, V-belt pulleys, faux mechanical fuel pump, and points distributor. Backed by a t10.
    The 347 has grown to signing on for 408ci. Sometimes you need to hurry and finish them before you have a chance to dream bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Atwater Mike, mod700rmk and meshach like this.
  16. I put a 427 Windsor in my 53 customline and it certainly took some finessing and fabrication.

17. Im late to the dance
    I built my first sbc powered anything last year

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

As far as 260 because of oil fill tube , how bout callin it a 221 cu in , that was new in 62 ?

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The big difference between a 351 W and a 530 Chev in a hot rod. Cubic $$$$ for the same performance and same stage of on the engine decoration. Simply meaning the same pieces for the 351 will cost a notiable % more than they will for a 350.
    First Windsor V8 showed up as a 221 in July of 1961. That makes the pretty close to traditional.
    For the most part "traditional" is how the engine and engine compartment look when one walks up to the car with the hood open or with no hood. Simply meaning that the total appearance respects the traditional vibe. Proper air cleaner, proper valve covers, no billet anywhere or at least paint it so it looks like steel rather than billet. Not over sanitized with every line and wire hidden. Neatly routed wires and lines are a plus as back in the day no one hid them but the better done rigs had them well routed. Probably nothing showing that says For Motorsports on it. That would be too new and not traditional unless you own a Mustang.
    I know one thing for sure, If I look under your hood an you have a Hellings and Stellings style air cleaner and finned Offy valve covers or something similar from a manufacture that has been around since day one and finned or chrome doo dads I will have no frigging idea of what year or size your small block Ford V8 is and really don't care unless I have to race against you.

RacingRoger and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Dress up certainly can hide certain engines but I would have to disagree with the dollar to dollar cost of a Ford v. Chevy especially if you are starting from scratch and or purchasing parts new, it currently seems to be a toss up. The price of original speed parts has increased dramatically and unless you have time to scour yards or classifieds good deals are scarce to come by. I know of guys building some "period" correct SBC with quite a bit of money invested.

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

If you are trying to make your car look like a '50s custom then a SBF doesn't quite fit the era/style. You have an advantage though in that you can always just keep the hood closed. No one will know what you have in there.

RICH B and meshach like this.
  22. Use a 351W, most people can't tell the difference.... LOLOL...

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nail head was always my choice..never got a deal on one....

Gman0046 likes this.
  24. On coupes/roadsters flathead all the way, once you get into the 50s I think it’s dealers choice.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Y blocks are cool, sort of scarce on parts except for the mummert heads and etc.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the more reason to have one. Not everyone does.

RacingRoger and Runnin shine like this.
  28. I agree if I had a 54+ that came with one I would have considered building it

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    AVater likes this.