Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. turbodiesel

turbodiesel
    from australia

I remember the saying " hubba hubba " from when i was a kid and it went like this " hubba hubba ding ding cop the legs on that thing " probably inappropreate today The guys a bit older than myself used it and their fathers i guess . Im an aussie 1948 vintage so it was probably a WW2 saying that floated amongst the different armed forces . I enjoy these different topics keeps me interested when i cant sleep at the so called correct hours and inspires me to get something done on my stuff . Joe

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can hardly contain myself over this one. Those gosh durn HAMB classifieds keep pulling me back in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know I thought that cheap speedway chrome cover would do cause I didn’t think I’d find one before everyone else would snatch’m all up. Should be here soon enough for my slow progress rate. Still can’t wait, thanks Randy.

6v RULES!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Now that is bad ass cool!

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It’s funny you know that I’ve never been that ridiculously into chrome. But old chrome as a tool to help recreate an era or fool the minds eye into false history? I’m absolutely batshit cookoo over the stuff.
    Another funny tid bit is that I actually am trying to balance my vision on all this. I’ve been very open to using massive amounts of the shiny in the engine compartment and under carriage, plus there’s the cool steering column. But I have held back on the exterior some on purpose. I intentionally searched out old black hood latches, the license light, head lights, and will make the rear spreader, plate bracket, tail lights, front shock mounts all black. These are some commonly chromed parts on other builds. I passed on some chances at other old chrome parts I could’ve snagged. I still may make the windshield frame black too.
    The ultimate goal is to have the base car seem that it was a standard I guess without all the bells and whistles from Henry. All the chrome additions would mostly be focused on the modified areas of the car. Then again the windshield frame is a little modified I suppose. I sometimes wish there would have been a plain Jane version of the door handles, hood strip, head light bar, and grill insert that came in black. I don’t want to make these items black and re-litigate history though. Color balance is something I get obsessive about. It’s not as simple as chrome everything or black it all out. That’s the easy road but I don’t believe that sells a air of the authentic.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. Wyatt: In post 1501 you showed what you called a quadrant. I assume it is a latch of some sort. Tell me what you can about it. I'd be interested in something like it myself. Here's another shade of green for ya....the car I sold in '80 Tim

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It’s a nos warbird gizmo that controls “inertia reels”? in pilot seats.
    I bought one from eBay $32 plus shipping. I only got one cause I want to mirror a second myself for the passenger door if I can. I had planned to modify one to work on the right door but I’m a cheapy so I felt I could make it from scratch having the first as guide. My backup plan would be to purchase a second and use the lever and lockout slide thingy but make a new main body plate in reverse if the original.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Running shine.Inertia reel.That`s the item that keeps the pilot from floping forward in case of a bad landing.Like the modern three point safety belts in cars.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

At the in-laws today and we always have a big $10 gift exchange for the grownups.
    I won this and I’m pretty sure I’m the only family member who has anything with drum brakes, let alone on all four corners.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and even though I’ve posted this before and recently on another thread.
    All the best to you planet and people
    [​IMG]

10. Wyatt, Like your 10 buck gift as I have one myself and it is a great tool to have when you are working on brakes. I am with you 100% on leaving all the glitter to under cover so to say, but to me the windshield frame needs to be chrome as it breaks the area up so to say. It just needs to be old worn out looking. Check out the one I used on the 3 window in my build. I think you will call it perfect!
    Merry Christmas also my friend...

Runnin shine likes this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dennis the brake tool is awesome, and great timing. I lost my a few years ago and I probably deserved it because it came home with me a long time ago from a shop I worked at. I’ve been dragging to replace it. Now I don’t have to.
    My windshield frame is a little too ruff, it will do for now, yours is more perfect than mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Still waiting on my generator and old Stewart Warner tach
    [​IMG]
    I have some better bezels and cases to swap it out with when it shows up.
    Obviously my engine will wind up tighter than the gauge reads. I like the looks of it for blending with my speedo and other SW dash jewelry. I’m trying to get a mechanical drive for the crank snout and I’ll make a replica mount. I’ve considered putting a later electronic SW’s guts I have inside the old face, needle, and glass. If the red pointers move(which I believe the do) I may just set them up at higher positions after using a auxiliary modern tach to get reference points.
    I also had a early generator pulley to try out show up. I guess it will all wait till 2018,
    Have a Happy New Year and a safe Eve.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Well I think your window frame would work great. In the areas that needed repair on mine I welded it up and filed it down then used one of those silver marking pins for writing on metal with to cover up the repaired area. Then took a red scotch pad and blended it in. You have to really look to find the repair.

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Mayor, I was going to attempt to use pieces I chopped out of the sides to repair the rusty bottom ends. I don’t know how to get around the problem of the straight side chunks vs. mild curve bottom.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Well ups dropped the generator off tonight like after 8:30 tonight, weird.
    The pulley fits the shaft great except for there’s not enough exposed threads to get a nut on there.
    The shaft has a bunch of slop in and out. I’ll get it rebuilt. Maybe I can put and earlier armature assembly in for the correct shaft to fit my pulley.
    Maybe I can machine down the inside front face of the pulley at the shaft hole to be able to install a nut.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now I have mixed feelings on these things
    [​IMG]
    As much as I love this Arvin under dash heater to look at and am enthusiastic about repainting it, I’m not exactly jumping up and down about cluttering up my toeboard and lakes racer cockpit. It surprisingly bulky and I will explore options for shrinking the back down.
    This vintage gem wins a place in Hubba Hubba because this is a family car for state fairs, church socials, root beer stands, dance recitals, PTA meetings, sock hops, drive in movies, look out point, and funerals. Just kidding.
    But since I want to drive it as much as possible and most 99% of my driving is w/kids and at least 75% w/wife too. I knew right away that a lack of some kinda warmth or defrost ability for evenings, mornings, and deep into the fall(my favorite season by a landslide) would need something more proficient than closing the side glass or cracking the windshield open.
    I am going to try to run the hoses down and under not through the fire wall. This nos switch I got is equally as cool to me.
    [​IMG]
    Can you say King Homogenized?

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your thought path and period thinking are right on and climate in the Hotrod world varies huge so getting that in there with Shine engineering is just something that we will enjoy seeing come together. One good thing about the heater is it has built in louvers...;) Homogenized...theres a great thread about that...Jalopy also comes to mind and its a beautiful thing. Looking forward to 2018 in Hubba Bubba land...

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Check out these louvers on top.
    [​IMG]
    It’s a shame they would look great with a nice plating. I am most likely removing this part and fabing a replacement Y to run two hoses up to some holes in the top of the dash panel for the de-fog, I’m so Street Rodder. I hope the unit will be high enough for this mod to be hid behind the dash.

Man I have to get some work done. I feel like the thread is more like my personal blog, only I don’t say anything philosophical or even reflective.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    brEad, slv63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey that street rod term is older than we think...but that's another thread. I look at it this way your that fella in the early forties adapting that later technology from prewar vintage cars with it. When did Henry's mobiles start using heat to the shield? Those vintage ducts might be just what you need. Thats a cool louver register I'm surprised to see that was that the bottom? I just reread you said top...Getting old Stogy...:D

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Run some hoses up under the dash with a piece of squashed tube as the top of the duct. Then drill a whack of 1/4" holes for the vents. Should look race enough.

But seriously just cracking the windshield a 1/2" will defrost the window. Used to do this on the M37 in the late fall, and it had to heat at all.

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Agreed across the board there Matt. My wife is a temp crybaby and I can see her now if she gets a little cold wind in her face. Probably blame me for the first sinus infection she gets, maybe even a year later. She would have never survived my early twenties of riding street bikes all the way into snowfall, what a wimpy chick. But hey it’s not like she drives a Prius.
    For the record the only heat in my PU will be high compression.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    brEad, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Be a dear and stitch some seat heaters in there for her. Happy wife is a good thing....

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

“More build’n less bout’n”
    : dumprat 2018

[​IMG]
    Drill 8 holes, full stop

Tim, drylakespeedshop, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Outback and Stogy like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I smell macrame.......

loudbang likes this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Pressed pause on my dash and front seat progress to do a little file and paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Represent

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi runningshine.Now that`s a real nice job.Bet Ryan will like it too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

And check this out best plaque to date.
    [​IMG]
    I truly believe I’ll mount this one. There aren’t enough words @Ryan

loudbang, 2bubbas and Stogy like this.
  29. Love this build- HUBBA HUBBA!

30. i agree with 2bubbas, hubba hubba and add two more hubba hubba's.