Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found: Original 1950 Mercury Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by pierpontbeach, Jan 12, 2018.

1. pierpontbeach

pierpontbeach

IMG_7869.jpg
    I recently acquired this original 1950 Mercury Custom from my father's long time car friend. I have been wanting this car since I was a kid in the early 1980s... I am trying to find more information about the history of the car (pre-mid-1960s): who built it, who owned it, and so on....

Further specifications can be found here:
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/featured-cars/featured-custom-cars/porterville-1950-mercury/

It has also been posted here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdMSAO2n82N/?taken-by=46to64

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I love it however I don't know the history but it looks to be solid and well executed. It would be interesting to see the inside of the roof and how whoever went about carrying out the chop. Being that old I assume it would be lead wiped and filed up.

3. 392

No help here. But looks sweet.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  4. Rand Man

Rand Man

It’s a treasure for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Neat car. I always thought rounded hood corners (and door corners) were always cool. Love the side trim treatment.

Pinstriper40 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Wow ! - What a treasure, I'm no help for it's history, but I am jealous ! I guess that doesn't help much :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You lucky DOG! Looks great. My pops has a friend that has an Anglia that has sat in a shed since I was a teenager. I hope one day I can buy it.

8. Cragrat

Cragrat

nice.wouldve loved my dads friends to have cars like that,all they had were honda civics and ford cortinas....

i love the buick sweep trim.trying to source some 53 trim tho myself .hint hint ;) ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. alchemy

alchemy

How about you find the location of the Porterville High Class of '58's 60th reunion and park the car out front? Maybe somebody will remember it?

10. Automotive Stud likes this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd agree on going the Porterville High School alumni route. I searched the '58 yearbook for a Ron or Gary and only came up with Gary Forshee. He passed in 2015 in Hemet, Ca @ age 73 so that would fit. The obituary
    ( https://obittree.com/obituary/us/california/hemet/miller-jones-mortuary-hemet/gary-forshee/2110992/)
    said he did time in the USN which would match the hypothesis on the Custom car chronicle where someone said the owner may have moved the car South to San Diego as an enlisted man and consequently had the interior done in TJ.
    I'd guess that Gary and Ron are the High Schooler's pictured on the left, and they probably worked at the station. I'd guess the older Gentlemen on the right are the station proprietor(s) (relatives of Ron and Gary?) and 1st wrench and owner of the Vette and Merc.
    Unless his family was wealthy, it's not likely a HS owned that Merc. Perhaps the Merc was purchased a few years later in his early 20's that coincided with a relocate to SD?
    Maybe research of Del Simpson/station is in order. The owner of the Merc clearly had some connection with the station, either as an owner, employee or preferred customer.
    Porterville is a fairly small town. Perhaps an old are Rodder from the area (Visalia, Tulare) may recall the car?

One things for sure, the Merc is absolutely killer. It's even channeled. Would love to know more about the history. Especially, who did all the metal work.

[​IMG]

cfmvw, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Just, WOW!!

13. Brit digger

Brit digger

What a car!.. good luck with your search.

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Original image enlarged and sharpened a bit:
    pvca58-02.jpg
    Here's Gary; he was in the class of 1959:
    pvca59-03.jpg

Hamtown Al, dwollam, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Channeling a fullsize car like this '50 is 'No Day at the Beach'. Noting the detail on the chop job alone it's obvious this Merc wasn't attacked by high schoolers, to be finished in a year or two!
    In 1954, my friend Bobby Westcott moved with his family to Porterville. Bobby was a rod & custom nut, born in '42. He'd be 75 now, if still in Porterville, another good name to try.

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Too cool! Nice find..My survivor was also found in San Diego.

Pinstriper40 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. There is a name written over the guy closest to the Merc, something Barry. Probably his car.

18. Google search found a "Barry Del Simpson" in Bishop.Ca. Shows he previously lived in Porterville. Might be Del's son.

19. wow bump....

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a very fortunate Hamber @pierpontbeach...Congratulations and please share the resurrection...that is a beautifully done Merc and it looks just fantastic in its dusty tomb...I would figure you had to pick up your heart and put it back in your chest when you laid your eyes on that when the door opened...just a great end to a dream you had as a young kid.

I gotta feel the former owner must have felt a piece of himself was leaving and it has to hit one a little. There would however be comfort in knowing it would be loved back to 1959 again...So any plans going forward to share?

chryslerfan55 and Denns1989 like this.
  21. Wow wow wow!!!

chryslerfan55 and Denns1989 like this.
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Subscribed!

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very kool, very lucky!

24. gonzo

gonzo

Very cool. What's your plan for it?

25. belair

belair

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

From that, I did some digging; Barry Del Simpson age 48, and Barry Dean Simpson age 80, both of Bishop, CA and previously of Porterville, CA.. That may be "Barry" (along with "dave") written on the photo.

The service station signage is "C. Del Simpson Thrifty Service".
    It took some time, however, I was able to find Cledus Del Simpson of S. Lake Tahoe, previously of Porterville, CA, born 1907-deceased. So i'd bet that would be "C. Del Simpson" as that is listed as an AKA.

I'd guess this is the Father, Son, Grandson, all of Porterville, CA.
    I'd also guess that the Merc may have been owned and/or built by Cledus and/or Barry. At a minimum, they were associated with the Merc owner. In 1958, Cledus would have been about age 51 and Son Barry about age 20.

Cledus D Simpson deceased
    Porterville, CA
    Bridgeport, CA
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

AKAs
    Cledus Simpson
    C Del Simpson
    C Delsimpson

Relatives/Associates
    Barry Del Simpson
    Barry Simpson
    C Delsimpson
    C Delsimpson

Stogy, Hamtown Al, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  27. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

It’s a small world sometimes. I read this post last night and when I read the name Gary Forshee I immediately thought of a girl I went to high school with named Stephanie Forshee. I thought that’s not a common name and mumbled to myself that would be weird if he was her father. I was shocked as I scrolled up and read Hot Rods Ta Hell’s post that he was from Hemet. I looked at the obituary and he is her father!!!! I have lived in Hemet my whole life as well as being a Hotrodder since birth. My family is well known for our involvement with old cars. I ran around in some of the same groups as Stephanie and it was never mentioned to me her father was involved in Hot Rods or Customs.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gasser 57, Stogy, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  28. Barry Dean Simpson is C. Del's son for sure.
    Del's obit:
    Cledus Delbert Simpson, a resident of Big Pine, died in Bishop Tuesday, March 5, 2002. He was 94. ................................ Mr. Simpson was born in Cairo, Ill., and was a resident of Big Pine for two years. He was a real estate broker and developer from the late 1940s to 1970.
    Survivors include a daughter, Dixie Lee Simpson of Yerington, Nev.; a son, Barry Simpson of Porterville; 19 grandchildren; and 32 great-grandchildren.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. congrats ! that's a great looking car... keep us posted to getting it back on the road.