Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 59 Fairlane engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clint86, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Clint86

Clint86

I have a 1959 Ford Fairlane that had the number two connecting rod let go of the crank and was shoved through the side of the block. It was an original straight six two speed automatic. I’m planning on putting an 86 foxbody driveline in it, is that something worth posting here or is that considered to be outside of what’s allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

The 302 Ford showed up in 68 and 350 Chevys in 67 If you can't have a 350 Chevy half the cars on here would have to go.

lemondana and kadillackid like this.
  3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

any FE - Ex. 390 will bolt right in.....

4. RmK57

RmK57

302-351 would be a perfect swap. As a driver either would be my choice.

5. Motor mounts are a walk in the park. Done them many times.
    57 wagon mounts 001.jpg 57 wagon mounts 002.jpg 57 wagon mounts 005.jpg 57 wagon mounts 006.jpg Mounts installed 002.jpg Bolts to existing holes with Ford mounts. For the AOD just get a 59 Cruzo-matic mast jacket. Eazy Peazy!
    The Wizzard

vtx1800, The Ging, belair and 3 others like this.
  6. Clint86

Clint86

Those are frame side mounts? I was planning on using the rubber mounts already in the car and fabricating the engine side. It’ll probably be a similar process I’d imagine. I’m not keeping it an automatic, I’ve got a mustang 5 speed T-5. It’s going to become a manual car.

7. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

8. Mast Jacket is the outer housing of the steering gear. The 2 speed shifter is a different unit from the 3 speed auto and no need to change the total steering unit.
    The Wizzard

9. Clint86, I understand your thinking. Something to know. 59 Mounts are 59 only. Getting harder to find. New ones that say they are 57-8 & 9 all made in Mexico. Not an exact fit. Actually don't fit any of the 3 correctly. What I like about the Frame side mount adapter is the angle is no longer in play. The through bolt takes care of that. You can also use Fairlane/Mustang rubber mounts. Readily available and covers many years.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Clint86

Clint86

So, still haven’t gotten to the engine mounts yet, but the old is out and I finally opened enough room to fit the new in. I had to ditch the truck oil pan and go with a front sump/pickup tube. Also found out that I have to fabricate a new trans cross member. Fun times all around at any rate. If it was easy I’d probably think I did something wrong.

Out with the old! If you look closely you’ll see the #2 connecting rod next to the dip stick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In with the new! The orange strap shows where the back of the shifter base is located. Perfect location, I was dreading that it would end up under the seat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  11. What makes you say the Trans crossmember? Even with an A.O.D. all I did was a light notch on each side of center for the back Corners of the Trans pan. I still was able to use the stock Trans mount pad on the crossmember to the rubber mount. I don't think I even had to do that on my Convertible. That one was like a direct bolt in if I remember right. It's on jack stand right now. Maybe I should go take you some photos.
    The Wizzard

12. Excellent engine choice Sir. That "289" looks right at home in that big Ford.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice but I might have given it all a bath first....

wvenfield and meteor500 like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

You picked the worst year of Fox engines. 1986 had flat top pistons with no valve reliefs so cam upgrades are really limited. The E6 heads are not very good either. If you are just going to run it as is they run fine, just can't cam them up very much without a piston change. Been there done that.

15. finn

finn

Even the 86 w/ no valve reliefs is about double the power of the now deceased 223 in good health.

Carry on!

gimpyshotrods and belair like this.
  16. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool project. That will be a great driver with that setup. The t5 will shift smooth too. Good luck with it

17. Clint86

Clint86

The tail of the T5 is considerably fatter than the auto that I pulled out, the T5 was actually wedging between the floor and cross member.

This isn’t in permanently yet, this is in fitment stage. The engine doesn’t even have the flywheel or clutch on it yet. Those valve covers are getting chucked too, I’m looking into better options.

Does that include truck blocks too? This is a truck block, and my understanding is that these 86 truck blocks are awesome because they come from the factory machined for rollers.

I do like the 223, I have one in my 59 F100. But in a car with a 2 speed auto it definitely was a pig. 145 factory horse, could barely get out of its own way.

mcnally351 likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Check and see if it has E6 heads. That is the clue. I built an 86 Lincoln block into an H.O. 5.0 by changing the pistons to a set of later pistons with valve reliefs and putting on a set of E7 heads before I went aluminum heads. It was machined for roller lifters also.
    Ford tried to go fast burn in 86 with the combustion chamber. Bad idea ,only lasted one year. I think anything over .420 lift hits the pistons. Changing the pistons allowed me to use a Comp .512 lift hydraulic roller with no issues.
    I have a fresh 306 short block that I would make you a smoking deal on . Mahle pistons and Scat rods.

JeffB2 and mcnally351 like this.
  19. I forgot you were going T-5. I know nothing about installing one of those, just not my thing or choice. Were I going for an Overdrive I'd run the older Ford 3+1. Then I could use a standard Hurst floor shift. For me it would be the Visibly correct thing to do plus it would mount right into my Factory tail mount.
    The Wizzard

20. belair

belair

For a split second I thought you had the engine in backwards. Not used to seeing the distributor. Anyway, good luck with that crazy Ford in a Ford thing you got going. :)

21. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

back in the day i had a 59 with a 352 fe in it ...factory stock.....they are a big heavy car for that 302 IF you are looking to go fast ..if you just want a nice street car then go for the 302 or a 351w would be my choice....what do you want to do with the car...

22. Clint86

Clint86

I looked, this Fairlane isn’t much heavier than a fox body mustang. A mustangs curb weight was 3,080 lbs, my Fairlane weighs in at 3,550, give or take. I do know that that 500 pounds will make a difference though. I’m looking for a fun car, and down the road I’m looking to either turbo it or turn it into a 347 stroker. I’m not looking to race this thing, but I don’t want it to be the gutless wonder that it was with the 223 two speed automatic.

62rebel and mcnally351 like this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

If you go turbo, those heads and pistons will be fine as you won't need much cam. Plenty of room for exhaust plumbing in that car.

24. Do yourself a favor and put a big towel down in the lifter valley while you're working on it all opened up, okay?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

100% true about the 1986 year. :( Actually 1984-93 Fox body motor mounts are used in a 1954-59 Ford SBF swap,if you swap them side to side it can make the engine about 2" closer to the firewall or further depending on what works for you the AOD will sit right on the factory cross member using an Anchor 2253 mount about $7 at you local O'Reilly's.

Sgt. John likes this.
  26. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

27. Cmore

Cmore
    from Wisconsin

Will any of that work with a 351m swap in a 1956 ford sunliner

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JeffB2 likes this.
  28. I may be incorrect but the headers shown on that link has the wrong head bolt pattern for the M motor doesn't it? Also with the AOD in the 56 Ford I think you need to notch the crossmember for each side of the rear of the pan.
    The Wizzard

29. Clint86

Clint86

Progress has been made finally. More steps are being taken in the forward direction than are being taken backwards. I’m sure you’re all familiar with this feeling. I’ve opened the block up a bit and looked further into it’s condition. Turns out it’s an 87 pickup engine, factory machined for a roller rocker system, can anybody confirm that about the 87’s? Timing chain was almost at the 1/2” of allowable play, replaced it with a cloyes double roller. New timing chain cover, new carb, new valve cover air intake combo, custom built trans cross member, new water pump, and a new serpentine belt system. My original idea of a budget build went out the window.
    [​IMG]
    Cross member beginnings
    [​IMG]
    Cross member revision
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cross member final
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting closer to the final bolting in of everything. Lots left to do however.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Pist-n-Broke and BAD ROD like this.
  30. Clint86

Clint86

More work done, I heard it fire. Still needs fuel plumbed up and the radiator installed, plus timing. But hearing it fire is encouraging to say the least.

[​IMG]
    All set to make a little bit of noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Billet aluminum 8 groove pulleys, should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.