Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods stock powerglide question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Jan 10, 2018.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

On my 1960 chevy truck, I have a pepped up cam and dual carbs on my 235 stovebolt. I want to try different torque convertors for better horsepower and was wondering if there are after market flex plates that work with a 10” convertor. The 10” convertors have a smaller 3 bolt pattern as compared to the giant stock torque convertor

jeff

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torque converters do not add or subtract horsepower (only what is lost in function). The stall speed sets when the power is applied.

Smaller diameter torque converters generally have higher stall speeds, meaning that you will be at a higher RPM when the power "kicks in". If you put that stall speed above the power peak, you will not be helping your situation.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. You probably don't need , nor want, a 10 " torque converter. There aren't many custom shops in LA anymore, but a reputable shop could loosen your converter up about 500 rpm, if you really want to do this. Have an original, stock replacement handy though.
    What is the cam duration at .050 ?

gimpyshotrods and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

If you decide you really want to try a smaller converter, you should be able to drill the flex plate to work with it.

DaPeach and Tickety Boo like this.

5. drumyn29

drumyn29

truck weighs 4200 pounds Scan 2.jpeg

6. drumyn29

drumyn29

Hmmmm......

Tickety Boo likes this.
  7. Just two more questions:
    What is the rear end ratio, tire size?
    What do you do with this truck?
    I know, that's 3.

8. drumyn29

drumyn29

daily driver
    if I were to guess, I would say 3.83 gears driving 55 on the freeway, the rear is singing
    tires are 15x6.50 for now

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Torque converters may not add or subtract horsepower, but they do have an affect on torque. Torque converters increase torque above what the engine produces, i.e. more torque is put out of the converter than is put in. This is due to the action of the Stator. Changing the stall speed of a torque converter changes the torque output. With a higher stall speed, if the engine is producing more torque at the higher stall speed, than the output of the converter will also be higher, the percent increase depends on the design of the converter and the difference in speed between the impellor and the turbine. Bottom line though is, changing the stall speed of a torque converter does affect the torque output.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That transmission is a cast iron powerglide and there isn't much of anything for it around. Never heard of anyone modifying one in the past 60 something years.

belair likes this.
  11. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'm not expecting to do burn outs, it is only a 235. I mostly want to squeeze as much out of it as I can without spending big bucks..

12. Actually, Marv Ripes at A-1 adapted an 8 " Opel converter to the cast iron 'glide in his 57 Chevy Junior Stocker, in about 1968. The converter actually isn't that much different than one for an aluminum 'glide. 17 spline still.

camer2 likes this.
  13. 4200 lbs. ? Is this thing a dump truck? Or are you guessing on this too, like the rear ratio? LOL
    Need to tweak the stock converter....or spend the big bucks here for a custom 10" , which probably be too high stall for the application,, no matter what you do to it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can probably find a grandma car, with a 350 and a TH350, or 700R4, for less than a custom converter.

belair likes this.
  15. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Give these guys a call, they specialize in powerglides and build converters as well. If anything, they should be able to offer advice and point you in the right direction.

www.abruzziracing.com

Local to me, I'm dropping my 'glide off to them soon for some freshening.

16. drumyn29

drumyn29

I took a load of scrap to the recycling and I weighed it after it was unloaded, I think it was around 3800-4000.

IMG_0197.JPG

17. Do you want butter with your popcorn????

juan motime likes this.
  18. I'm sure he'll have one on the shelf, waiting for you.;);)

misigis likes this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So what's the stall speed now?

20. Sorry. I wasn't clear on that. I was directing that comment to the o/p, who is needing a modified cast iron glide converter for a 59 truck ;);)....;)

DaPeach likes this.
  21. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Understood. I was suggesting they may have some kind of *advice*

22. models916

models916

There is an adapter to bolt the small pattern converter to the large pattern flywheel. I have a 9.75" 4 CYL converter on my 168 tooth v8 flywheel. Not sure if it fits the PG converter. There is also a front input shaft to put the TH350 converter on the power glide. I know the latter PG input shaft was just a push in deal. Don't know about the early versions.

23. Not much with that cam, I'd say .

XXL__ likes this.
  24. drumyn29

drumyn29

:)

Not sure what the stall is but it sure lags horribly.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does your Powerglide have an aluminum case, or an Iron one?

26. drumyn29

drumyn29

Iron, lemme guess, I ordered the wrong one.

27. What did you tell him you had?

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Iron Powerglides and Aluminum Powerglides are not the same transmission.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "There were two primary types or versions of the Powerglide: the Powerglide transmission introduced in 1950 had a cast iron case and is known as the "Cast Iron Powerglide", used until 1963, when it was revamped as "Aluminum Powerglide" where its case and several of its other parts were made of aluminum. Early models were Air cooled, and later 60's versions used a fluid cooler in the radiator. The Aluminum Powerglide, and Tempestorque was used from 1962 until it was replaced with the Turbo-Hydramatic series of transmission in 1973. The Aluminum Powerglide is still used today as a racing transmission of choice by many racers mainly for the fact that it only shifts once, and for its extreme durability. It is also possible to purchase all the parts needed to build an Aluminum Powerglide from scratch from most racing parts vendors."

I am not sure a whole lot interchanges between the two.

29. Gimp, The aluminum 'glide converter should fit the 1960 glide.
    The problem will be the the flex plate pattern.
    Now seeing the 235 only lasted until 1962, I believe, and 6 cyl. and 283 's got the CI glide in 62, I wonder if Abbruzzi The Expert discussed this issue with our friend here?

30. drumyn29

drumyn29

I
    I told him that I had a 1960 chevy truck with an iron glide. This is becoming a pain in the butt.