Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Was a 26 Tcoupe now a ‘18 t roadster 60s High school hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greezeball, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Greezeball

Greezeball

[​IMG]
    This is a torque tube. Instead of a driveshaft with u joints at either end it only pivots at the trans and also acts to locate the rear diff with the help of a wish bone with the pivot point in the same plane as the forward pivot point of the torque tube. I'll use the lower four bar mounts on my diff to run radius rods or hairpins with a correct pivot point. The current set up will bind.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yeah, I thought that was the type, saw one in a '53 Chevy. Will the torque tube work with the planned tranny - are you going with an automatic or standard next to your SBC?

Greezeball and loudbang like this.
  3. Greezeball

Greezeball

I'm using the 39 Ford top loader. I have a vintage adapter kit with all the bits and pieces.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

5. Greezeball

Greezeball

I got the furnace in the garage working so now I have heat!

6. Greezeball

Greezeball

[​IMG][​IMG]

My original plan was to keep things as simple as possible and just get this thing rolling but the more I look the more I'm convinced that it's begging to be channelled.
    Once I get the flat head out and cut out the hokey floor that was tacked in I'll see what it's going to take to channel it.
    I'm picturing channelled with cycle fenders

Jet96, Stogy, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Now you're talking man - Just remember, your knees along side the steering wheel can be an issue. Now the floor will be even higher up, depending how much you channel the body.

Maybe you're not as tall as me, but the last time I sat in a Tall T, my left knee could not tuck under the SW, preventing me to get in. The cowl's firewall is so close to the dashboard, not allowing much leg room.

Are you thinking channeling the body evenly from rear to front or a rake only over the front of the body? It's such a great look, knowing especially that you'll have PLENTY of headroom - unless you chop it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, loudbang and Greezeball like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No way I would ever connect my shop to the house.
    That comes with some serious limitations because any welding grinding or sanding or painting you do will find all of that dirt and dust and smell finding it's way into every part of the house no matter how many doors or seals of weather-stripping you might think you have to stop it.

31chevymike, brad2v and Greezeball like this.
  9. Greezeball

Greezeball

I'm 6 foot so I'll have to keep leg room in mind. I may go T bucket style vertical column if necessary or possibly cut the dash out to raise the column or put it through the dash. There is no steering column in so I can build to suit. There's no gas tank up in there so that gives me some room. The tank is in the trunk now. I was thinking of cutting the dash out and replacing it with a tube with a gauge pod hanging off of it.
    I'll be going deep with the channel, 6+ inches.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Greezeball

Greezeball

Oh I agree
    That's why I bought this, nice sized and detached with lots of room for a shed for storage.

Blue One, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  11. Greezeball

Greezeball

Just found this bit of inspiration with a googly search
    My goal is this with no chop and on a slight tail up rake

[​IMG][​IMG]

waxhead and loudbang like this.
  12. Greezeball

Greezeball

loudbang likes this.
  13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Yeah, was watching that White with a blue faded paint job T build here from a HAMBER named Sinister something... Cool as hell! And agree totally about your wanting a slight rake instead of an even channel. Hot rods need a rake - higher in the rear and lower stance in the front - PERIOD! I also never cared for the recent style of hot rods with a much longer wheel base - stretched way too fucking far. Glad to see most if not EVERY HAMBER here not showing these long wheel based hot rods on this site - not traditional AT ALL!!

brad2v, loudbang and Greezeball like this.
  14. Greezeball

Greezeball

Yeah the suicide front suspension hanging way out front in the breeze belongs on a 70s style T bucket.
    I like the stubby look lol

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

mine has the suicide spring set up..in fact both of my T's do..they are a bit long but sure steer nice IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1212.JPG

exterminator, putz, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

heres the other one 12186274_10207946474799196_4209158311619763081_o.jpg 12189280_913014075442876_6487909657493310199_o.jpg 12208497_10204299579564257_1742708350475058382_n.jpg

exterminator, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  17. Greezeball

Greezeball

loudbang, grifcarnut and 31chevymike like this.
  18. Hombre

Hombre

I think you have your dates off a little bit. Suicide suspension is traditional and has been around for a very long time. One of the first so called T-Buckets was Norm Grabowski's and it was built in the early 50's. I believe the first magazine it was in was in 1955, and it did have a suicide front suspension. norm didn't come up with this on his own and copied an earlier design or at least that is what he always said. Like suicide suspensions or don't that is completely up to you, but they are a big part of Hot Rodding and have been so for a very long time.

NORM.jpg

Jet96, Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

loudbang likes this.
  20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Another reason for the suicide suspensions, especially the T-buckets were to correct the clearance problems with headers being too close to the tires. If the axle was underneath the grille shell where it normally would be, the steering would be greatly affected. These front ends were cool, as long as the rod appears in proportion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

When most people think suicide front ends they picture the real long stretched out T's of the late 60's onwards. Those cars had longer wheel bases as was the style. The key is to keep everything nice and tight like the Grabowski car pictured above.

22. Greezeball

Greezeball

Oh I know suicide front ends have been around since the 20s mostly on race cars. The ones like on the kookie car are fine, they're tucked in at the front. It's the ones where it's stuck so far out front that you could put another engine between the axle and grill.
    I know my eras of ridding better than most I've been at it for over 30 years.

31chevymike likes this.
  23. Greezeball

Greezeball

24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Man that 'Ol T is looking good in its new home. Not sure what you're planning with motor mounts for your small block Chevy, but it would be interesting to see if you can reuse those motor mounts with an original Hurst front plate mount. Hurst MM.jpg

25. AndersF

AndersF

Nice pile of parts.
    Will be fun to follow this build.

MMM1693, Greezeball and 31chevymike like this.
  26. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Ditto..

Greezeball and 31chevymike like this.
  27. Greezeball

Greezeball

I have exactly that

Stogy, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Damn Greezeball - was that a good call or what? Possibility you may have to reposition the existing mounts depending on where the SBC will sit with your firewall. We shall see.

29. Greezeball

Greezeball

30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Very good! Looking forward to see how your small block sizes up in its new home. Keep us posted!

Greezeball likes this.