Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I want to drop rear about 2 inches and tuck wheel in more

31chevymike likes this.
  2. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Of course I'm just winging it on everything on this car lol

31chevymike likes this.
  3. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

So is your back axle further back or front forward

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    31chevymike likes this.
  4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Must be that my rear axle is further back, because my front axle is the same location as yours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jgrohio likes this.
  5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Consider moving front end forward approx. 1/2- 3/4". On '31-32 Chevs, the wb is actually too short to put the wheels in the center of the front fender crown. If running fenderless, I think moving the front 3/4"-1" forward would look better at 110" wb.

31chevymike likes this.
  6. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

On my 30 if you look at pic I think axles is where it needs to be with fender, not sue if 31-32 would be different

31chevymike likes this.
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Speaking of which, are you running with fenders or fenderless? Your axle location looks very good on the front and rear.

8. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I'm planning to run with the fiberglass fenders. I have the original metal also but to thin for what I want

9. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I need these sub zero temps and snow to get out of here so I can work on getting my chassis out to friends shop to start working on it, I'm getting anxious to get started on it

10. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

OK I need advice from some steering suspension gurus. I want to run the drop axle with the parallel single leaf springs on car now and would like to put a vega power steering cross steer setup on it. Any negatives to this kind of set up?

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

The fiberglass fenders are a good option, knowing that there shouldn't be too much work to prepare for installing. I hear you on the cold and snow, left that crap back in '99. Snow should clear soon once the temperatures go up - it'll be great to send off your chassis finally!

As far as the steering and suspension, this Vega box with cross steering is absolutely the way to go! I'm using this as well in my '31. The cross steering will eliminate the chance of bump steer or the term, "death wobble" which I have experienced in the early years of ownership. This is an article from HOT ROD on cross steering and the Vega steering box:

The last big leap in traditional front suspension steering technology came along in the ’70s, with the advent of a small economy car by Ford’s rival General Motors. The Chevy Vega utilized a steering box with a pitman arm that swept left to right, as opposed to fore and aft. With one of these boxes mounted far forward on the inside of the left framerail, the drag link can run laterally across the chassis where it connects to the steering arm on the right spindle. This system, called cross-steering, allowed the use of a long drag link that was unaffected by bumpsteer, so the car would not only drive better and be safer, the owner could also use whatever type of radius rod he wanted without worrying about the steering setup (see illustration 3 and 13). Cross-steering is nothing new, as Ford utilized it on the Model T and the ’35-48 models, but for the first time rodders were able to take advantage of this system with a heavy-duty box that they could buy brand new.

“The Vega box is still the best deal for a traditional dropped-axle frontend,” James says. “There are a couple of people who make them now under license from Saginaw, including Mullins and Flaming River.”

Bowtie Coupe and jgrohio like this.
  12. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I ran over to Summit yesterday so while I was there I bought the CPP Power Vega Box I'm hoping I'm going to be able to fit it but sure looks like it will be tough with motor mounts and the confined space from the low single springs. But at least i have it so I can figure it out when I start frame. I may have to fabricate steering arms that will allow everything to line up in the limited space

Bowtie Coupe and 31chevymike like this.
  13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Definitely can be done, as we have done this p.s./cross steer conversion on a '31. Due to slightly larger box, we had to raise the motor up a tad. Car drove great!!

31chevymike and jgrohio like this.
  14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Something I learned with my dual leafs on my '31 when I had them - you may want to consider using flat steering arms so you can bend them easier if you need clearance for the tie rod. I had to heat my original '49 to '54 Chevy original steering arms to allow more clearance. This photo is an example for the '49 - '54 Chevy cross steering arms from Speedway Motors:
    chevy flat steering arms.jpg

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Also, what type of spindles are you running on your dropped axle JGR?

16. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

They were on car look like they are Chevy C10 disc set up, I need to actually see if I can find some numbers on them. I will probably have buddy plasma some that are exactly what I want so when I bend length and curve will be right where I need it.

31chevymike likes this.
  17. jac9

jac9

A couple pictures of my daughters 29 Sedan. She just picked it up Sunday and couldn’t be more excited about it. Btw did I mention she’s only 15

Attached Files:

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Super nice '29 Chevy Sedan jac9! Your daughter is one lucky individual to own such a nice street rod at only 15! Most likely the only one I've seen to date. She's so clean and straight that the rod looks like it's completely fiberglass...

19. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

What kind of suspension steering etc?

31chevymike likes this.
  20. Great looking car for a 15 year old!

31chevymike likes this.
  21. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Are we just a bit jealous... Definitely.

TFoch likes this.
  22. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I'm jealous hers is done lol

31chevymike likes this.
  23. jac9

jac9

It’s all steel!!

31chevymike likes this.
  24. jac9

jac9

Mustang II front with rack and power steering, leaf spring rear. 350,350
    Interior needs some work. Missing all the window garnish’s. But it’s a turn key car.

31chevymike and jgrohio like this.
  25. jac9

jac9

Thanks, I couldn’t be more proud of her she got it on her own.

31chevymike likes this.
  26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Already knew that - I just meant that the fit and finish resembles the "look" of a fiberglass body.

27. jac9

jac9

Yeah everything fits up pretty well. The drivers door could shut a little nicer but we’ll have to wait for some better weather to look into that.

31chevymike likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Lucky girl!. When my son was 15 we drug home a Studebaker. We got it together enough for him to drive it his last week of high school when he was 18.

jgrohio and 31chevymike like this.
  29. madmike3434

madmike3434

you can close the MINOR door gap at top easily with shims between the frame and wood sill. Use pump jack to lift wood up on the # 2---# 3 bolts and place shims under #2 bolt then re-snug down #3 until gap is right.

mike lynch

30. Hey, would anyone have a spare pair of '27 or earlier front hubs kicking around? I have a fellow HAMBer who is interested in the spindles I have, but I can't find the hubs that go with them...